LIV Golf Invitational Series

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

LIV Golf Invitational Series

Post by Up the Junction »

Seems to be causing quite the stir. Enjoyed watching Phil Mickelson jumping through hoops trying to justify his decision to play.

I'm sure all of the journos present at these pressers would refuse a working trip to the Middle East on the basis of their convictions, principles and morals.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Re: LIV Golf Invitational Series

Post by fjthegrey »

Feels like a fundamental change in that sport.

No surprise to see Mickelson leading the charge. Undoubtedly got some substantial gambling debts that need paying in the immediate future.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

You could argue that so much of sport is tainted by money, is this any worse? If we can have F1 in Saudi and a World Cup in Qatar whats the fuss about golf?

However as we see with F1, having money involved doesn't necessarily improve the sport. Miami over Spa?

I'm not the hugest golf fan, but things like the Masters, Open and Ryder Cup are all pretty special, and I don't see many poor top level golfers.

I'd rather people like Johnson stopped rolling out such crap as I have to think of my family when discussing money. Career winnings $74 million. He's selling out for pure greed. Stop pretending your family is part of this equation.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:48 amYou could argue that so much of sport is tainted by money, is this any worse? If we can have F1 in Saudi and a World Cup in Qatar whats the fuss about golf?
Not really.

It reminded me of the Kerry Packer row all those years ago.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

in the words of the Late Great Groucho Marx

THOSE are my principals..and if you don't like them, well, I have others......
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:23 am Not really.

It reminded me of the Kerry Packer row all those years ago.
Thing is Packer brought some change to cricket that improved it. Cricket at that point was stuck in the past, and players didn't earn much.

The current situation in gold is very different imho
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

More participants unable to answer questions. I'm assuming none of the journos present will be writing about the tournament or covering it in any way so as to avoid charges of amorality and hypocrisy.

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:54 pm in the words of the Late Great Groucho Marx

THOSE are my principals..and if you don't like them, well, I have others......
Ironically he 'borrowed' that.

I don't see the fuss with the tour aside from the sports washing part. The USPGA don't moan when the top Europeans join their tour because the money is better.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Talking about human rights issues in Saudi whilst young children are being massacred in schools in the U.S. :chin:

Get as much dough as you can chaps. Good luck to em. :cashman:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Presumably no mainstream TV channel will be covering the series, lest they be accused of being complicit in sportswashing.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:35 pm Presumably no mainstream TV channel will be covering the series, lest they be accused of being complicit in sportswashing.
It's free on the biggest streaming platform in the world

YouTube.

Byrson and reed are joining soon

Fowler to follow

The PGA tour needs to change or face losing everyone.

Liv is even paying the caddies travel, lodging and meals ..
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I've got no issue with them playing it, even solely for the money.

In my eyes, it's not much different than the DP Tour (ex European Tour), which is owned and backed by the Dubai government, who don't have a respectable human rights record either.

I'd love it if they were more honest though and said something like 'I'm getting paid a boat load, have that you jealous pr*cks'.

The journalists involved don't exactly have the moral high ground either. They'd most likely go there to report it if they were offered 2, 3 or 4x their usual rate.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

To add to the above, I don't want to be seen as condoning the Saudis.

I'd like to think the vast majority of people can clearly see what they are trying to do here.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:06 pm I've got no issue with them playing it, even solely for the money.

In my eyes, it's not much different than the DP Tour (ex European Tour), which is owned and backed by the Dubai government, who don't have a respectable human rights record either.

I'd love it if they were more honest though and said something like 'I'm getting paid a boat load, have that you jealous pr*cks'.

The journalists involved don't exactly have the moral high ground either. They'd most likely go there to report it if they were offered 2, 3 or 4x their usual rate.
the same DP world who own P&O aswell.... so yeah their just fine and dandy

the same PGA tour who lead a break away from the PGA of america.. the same PGA that ruined the ET by taking their best players and are funded by american money which ofc is clean as mud.

the hypocrisy of the PGA tour on this situation is really annoying me. if they just let the players decide what tour to play and when allowing them to dip in and out they would continue to play the majors.. and events to keep world rankings.. but no they want to have a monopoly .. yet claim they are "independent contractors".. well the way you are saying ban them means their employees .. so best start paying some Tax eh.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Mickleson's fee for appearing in the series?

wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:49 pm Mickleson's fee for appearing in the series?
You can't knock it, would any of us turn that kind of money down if we had the skill/opportunity to earn it...doubt it.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Interesting that UPS withdrew their sponsorship of Lee Westwood as soon as he signed up with LIV. This is the same UPS that have offices in and operate in Saudi Arabia.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I'm not sure that in their position I wouldn't take the money.

As Bendy says, it isn't really any different from F1. And as the drivers (or in this instance, the players), they've accepted the money. And as a viewer, I have paid Sky, and watched some of the various grand prix, and watched Newcastle play football, so I am, in my own small way, complicit here. Because with no viewers there would be no LIV or Saudi GP or whatever. And I will watch the World Cup too, and be complicit there as well.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:29 pm Interesting that UPS withdrew their sponsorship of Lee Westwood as soon as he signed up with LIV. This is the same UPS that have offices in and operate in Saudi Arabia.
Well it is selective moralism at its finest all of this. I'm sure all these sponsors will be all over the World Cup later this year (well the chosen ones will be)