Music You've Never Given A Proper Go...

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Re: Music You've Never Given A Proper Go...

Post by last.caress »

WCpete wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:25 pm Metal, for instance..
Up the Junction wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:31 pm Ditto. And I've no intention of doing so either.
:shock:

It's a good job you unfortunate buggers said something when you did. Thank God, Dr. Elsie is here to cure your metal bewilderment:

The eighties were a golden time for metal: Hair metal, black metal, speed metal, thrash metal, death metal, hardcore, grindcore, crossover punk/metal, skate punk or just good old rock 'n' roll - it was all there and it was all brilliant.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

I've listened to 'Greatest Hits' collections of The Rolling Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin many, many times & I love them, but I've never listened to any of their studio albums.

No excuse now its all streamable I suppose.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

last.caress wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:02 pm The eighties were a golden time for metal: Hair metal, black metal, speed metal, thrash metal, death metal, hardcore, grindcore, crossover punk/metal, skate punk or just good old rock 'n' roll - it was all there and it was all brilliant.
I recall going to see a mate's band at The Square in Harlow, the support act were a bunch of Guns 'n Roses lookalikes complete with red spandex strides, terrible hair, the works.

IIRC they were called 'Storm Warning' and their signature tune appeared to be a song of the same name, the chorus of which I can still hear in my head today. I think that single episode may have been what put me off that genre of music forever.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:21 pm I recall going to see a mate's band at The Square in Harlow, the support act were a bunch of Guns 'n Roses lookalikes complete with red spandex strides, terrible hair, the works.

IIRC they were called 'Storm Warning' and their signature tune appeared to be a song of the same name, the chorus of which I can still hear in my head today. I think that single episode may have been what put me off that genre of music forever.
You sure they weren’t called Storm Witch?
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

I’ve never gotten into country music. Sure I’ve heard a number of country songs over the years but it’s not something I've ever felt inclined to seek out.
Misko
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

French music, as it is way more French than music, unfortunately.

At one point of my life, I found it hard to cope with girls enamored with Radiohead which I always found dull and somewhat stuck-up.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:14 pmYou sure they weren’t called Storm Witch?
Definitely Storm Warning. Not the one that's about now that are a blues band. I expect their career on the Essex circuit was very short-lived...
Misko wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:58 pmFrench music, as it is way more French than music, unfortunately.
I do love a chanteuse. Axelle Red (although Belgian), France Gall, Couer De Pirate (although Canadian), there's something compelling about the accent.

Blimey, even Edith Piaf has been known to hit the spot occasionally... :eyes:
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Whitters wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:16 pm I've listened to 'Greatest Hits' collections of The Rolling Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin many, many times & I love them, but I've never listened to any of their studio albums.

No excuse now its all streamable I suppose.
Can definitely recommend giving every Stones album from Beggar's Banquet to Some Girls a listen. There's some great stuff on them.

The Led Zep albums are a bit hit and miss but worth a try especially 1, 2, 4 and Physical Graffiti.

I'm not a massive Who fan. Can't get into Tommy or Quadrophenia...there's some proper crap on those.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:32 pm
pablo, give a try to his bootleg series #1 - a few tracks from that and you'll know whether to bother further.
Cheers p:m - I’ll give that a shot. One of the reasons that I am perserving with him is that there are a few people who have similar musical tastes to me and which I respect.

Smuts - as for The Who, Tommy and Wuadrophenia probably aren’t the best starting points. In some ways they were more of a singles band, but I’d recommend Who’s Next and also A Quick One, which is an album full of covers, including a great version of Heatwave.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Misko wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:58 pm At one point of my life, I found it hard to cope with girls enamored with Radiohead which I always found dull and somewhat stuck-up.
I tried Radiohead, not wanting to be a dinosaur, with OK Computer and Pablo Honey. Tried, but just couldn't get into it at all. And people said Yes were self-indulgent...

Last time I felt remotely contemporary was mid 90's with Tricky's Maxinqay and Paul Weller's second wind singing in an American accent.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

smuts wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:03 pm The Led Zep albums are a bit hit and miss but worth a try especially 1, 2, 4 and Physical Graffiti.

I'm not a massive Who fan. Can't get into Tommy or Quadrophenia...there's some proper crap on those.

:shocker:
Must be generational - they were both high points for me and many other people I think.
As for Led Zep, I stopped listening after Presence. Know nothing of their stuff after that.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

last.caress wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:02 pm :shock:

It's a good job you unfortunate buggers said something when you did. Thank God, Dr. Elsie is here to cure your metal bewilderment.
Cheers LC. Have to admit that I wouldn't consider some of that list metal. Hard rock, yes. E.G. ZZ Top , Van Halen, Motorhead, Social Distortion, Kiss. I listen to the first 3 quite a bit, especially Top. And of course I know of the higher profile names on there, but never have really listened to them. And some I don't know. Had never heard of Voivod. Just plunked their name into youtube, dropped the needle (so to speak) randomly to the middle of an album of theirs, and lo and behold the song was a Pink Floyd cover. They clearly have good taste. Cheers for the list. I will listen to it tomorrow.

Misko
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:44 pm Definitely Storm Warning. Not the one that's about now that are a blues band. I expect their career on the Essex circuit was very short-lived...

I do love a chanteuse. Axelle Red (although Belgian), France Gall, Couer De Pirate (although Canadian), there's something compelling about the accent.

Blimey, even Edith Piaf has been known to hit the spot occasionally... :eyes:
Axelle Red, France Gall, Coeur de Pirate... I can spot a pattern in the female voices you like, they all have something in common, not just the accent. And Edith Piaf is the perfect example of the French music I can't stand at all, everything is deeply irritating to me (music itself, the lyrics, the voice, everything). :crossed:
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Of all the biggest genres I'd say Metal is probably the one I'm the least well versed. I'm conscious of the surface level artists but know basically nothing beneath the crust.

Also, if you're talking elite music originating in France, M83 is the pinnacle of that countries musical output.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

I’ve got a fairly broad taste in music, but I’ve never really bothered with Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and all that stuff - classic rock I guess?

Coming from a punk/new wave background as a kid, it always just seemed prehistoric to me and a bit stuffy.

Also, I’ve never actually listened to a Nirvana album in full. Much prefer other stuff that was around at the time.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

My favourite artists of the last decade or so are French.

(This guy is from Lyon!)
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

last.caress wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:43 pm My favourite artists of the last decade or so are French.
No love for Gojira?
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:17 pm I’ve never gotten into country music. Sure I’ve heard a number of country songs over the years but it’s not something I've ever felt inclined to seek out.
That’s because country is just about the most unacceptable genre of music known to man. Western’s okay, country is just excruciating.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:17 pm That’s because country is just about the most unacceptable genre of music known to man. Western’s okay, country is just excruciating.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 771 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I'm going down the 'favourite French bands' fork in this thread. Slim pickings though, I agree.