Music You've Never Given A Proper Go...

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Re: Music You've Never Given A Proper Go...

Post by szola »

WCpete wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:13 pmTuvan throat singing
One of my best musical moments came the first time I heard throat singing

https://archive.org/details/the-klf-chill-out-1990
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1872 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Judas Priest. For some reason, their music absolutely passed me by. Obvs, I know Breaking The Law and a couple others, but I'd never given their stuff a second thought.

Always assumed they were a third rate Maiden clone. Having spent a bit of time going through their catalogue, it's clear I didn't have a clue. Some of their recent stuff, in particular, is much better than I'd realised. This, for example:

posting.php?mode=reply&t=183505

is a well-crafted slab of high quality British metal. Will be spending some covid downtime working through their records.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

NWOBM - never saw the point. Purple/Sabbath/Zep got it right the first time around.

Prog - just awful.

Modern Jazz - Miles Davies etc - just don't get it.

Folk - really dull and boring.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Now that's what I call a thorough analysis! :smiler:

Diff between the blues-based heavy rockers circa 1970 and NWOBHM was...well there was much less blues in the latter esp in guitar solos. Things went 'cram as many notes in as you can' and why sing when you can scream?

(Purple weren't 'blues', mind, they were out-and- out Rock'n'Roll)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:21 pm Judas Priest. For some reason, their music absolutely passed me by. Obvs, I know Breaking The Law and a couple others, but I'd never given their stuff a second thought.

Always assumed they were a third rate Maiden clone. Having spent a bit of time going through their catalogue, it's clear I didn't have a clue. Some of their recent stuff, in particular, is much better than I'd realised. This, for example:

posting.php?mode=reply&t=183505

is a well-crafted slab of high quality British metal. Will be spending some covid downtime working through their records.
They've written some great stuff and it's the other way round - Maiden are the clone, NOT Priest. Check out the following albums:

British Steel
Screaming for Vengeance
Defenders of the Faith

Absolute classic albums.
WHU Independent wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:31 am NWOBM - never saw the point. Purple/Sabbath/Zep got it right the first time around.

Dude ... Motorhead, Saxon, Venom, Tank, Iron Maiden to name just a few.

It really did show the yanks that we invented the style and their attempts were pretty feeble at that time.
Last edited by Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Dance music, all types of it.
Weller
I love the Jam,and like the style council but his solo stuff up to 3years back passed me by. I tried but just thought it was over rated and liked because of him and not the quality of the music.
The album he did two years back,that Robert elms played selections of to death was better though. Not enough for me to buy it,but better.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:50 pm T

Dude ... Motorhead, Saxon, Venom, Tank, Iron Maiden to name just a few.

It really did show the yanks that we invented the style and their attempts were pretty feeble at that time.
Dude - I saw Motorheads first ever proper live gig - they were rubbish IMHO. They honed it up later but were very very samey. I don't dislike them, but I don't overly like them either. The other bands you mention don't hold a flame to Purple, Sabbath, ZEP (Again IMHO) and I wouldn't cross the road to see them if they were free.

Actually that;'s a lie. I saw Maiden at the coach and horses Stratford yonks ago and I travelled there from Poplar but didn't play. They were ok.

Thinking of it, Maiden's first ever recorded jam was at St Nicholas Church Hall in Poplar. The locals are trying to get the chruch to put up a plaque and the band have agreed to help fund it, but the church have big issues with Eddie the demon and are not particularly interested.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:01 pm The other bands you mention don't hold a flame to Purple, Sabbath, ZEP (Again IMHO) and I wouldn't cross the road to see them if they were free.
Sabbath and Purple I'll give you but Zep? Personally I think they're overrated.
Actually that;'s a lie. I saw Maiden at the coach and horses Stratford yonks ago and I travelled there from Poplar but didn't play. They were ok.
I"m with you on Maiden too. I love their early stuff with Paul DiAnno but when Dickinson turned up, I switched off. Just can't get on with them. Seen them live a few times and my opinion hasn't changed one bit.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1191 likes
Total likes: 934 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

To be honest I find enough diversity in the Rock and Metal genre that I rarely pay much attention to other music these days, a month away from my mid 50's and I feel I know what I like and have plenty of it. Back in the early 80's I liked a bit of New Romantics, Classix Nouveau in particular plus a bit of Adam Ant but probably around 83/84 I discovered Rock/Metal and never looked back despite a school crush telling me I would grow out of it.

As to other types of music, I don't mind a bit of blues or the odd catchy pop tune you can mindlessly sing along to while mooching about the house. Stuff I can't stand - punk (although I can put up with punky metal like Hanoi Rocks), RnB, Rap (apart from the odd Metal crossover), stuff I've seen mentioned on here like Happy Mondays, Oasis, Paul Weller, Radiohead, Amy Whinehouse etc.

That's not to say I'm completely set in my ways and I'll happily check stuff out that I wouldn't normally listen to if a friend/colleague recommends something but generally I feel more comfortable listening to something I know I like these days.
bunk
Total likes: 350 likes

Post by bunk »

I have particular form when it comes to certain albums of artists that i love, i may listen once and conclude that this offering isn't nearly as good as their previous (or future) works. Case in point below, so i'm giving it another go.

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

His best album, in a crowded field, imo
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2611 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Going to have to dive into the metal pool - never really got it before - just appeared to be a cacophony of different instruments and voices trying to compete with each other. Lots of options mentioned here - cheers
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

pablo jaye wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:10 pm just appeared to be a cacophony of different instruments and voices trying to compete with each other.
Dad? Is that you? :chin:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

southbrishammer wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:47 am I'd never given Hawkwind a chance previously, but last night I watched their 1984 gig at Stonehenge and it was pretty good. Completely bonkers, but suited to the location. Some of the Moog synthesisers were superb.

I agree with the derogatory comments above about jazz.
I tell everyone this, but my wife’s uncle was one of their 847 members.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2611 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 am Dad? Is that you? :chin:
:crylol: … as a Dad, it’s a stock phrase that I have had to learn to use when my kids are listening to some cats wailing (aka music!!)
Ralph Mellish
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ralph Mellish »

vietnammer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:47 pm Now that's what I call a thorough analysis! :smiler:

Diff between the blues-based heavy rockers circa 1970 and NWOBHM was...well there was much less blues in the latter esp in guitar solos. Things went 'cram as many notes in as you can' and why sing when you can scream?

(Purple weren't 'blues', mind, they were out-and- out Rock'n'Roll)
Didn't they get more bluesy when Coverdale and Hughes turned up ?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

pablo jaye wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:49 pm :crylol: … as a Dad, it’s a stock phrase that I have had to learn to use when my kids are listening to some cats wailing (aka music!!)
I wouldn't worry mate, I'm the same with my step-daughter. Some of the absolute ***** that she listens to would turn milk sour. I guarantee that we won't be listening to any of that in thirty years time.
Ralph Mellish wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:47 pm Didn't they get more bluesy when Coverdale and Hughes turned up ?
Yes and no. They still retained some of their ballsy Rock 'n' Roll with songs like Burn and with songs like Mistreated did show their more blues side. I think Blackmore had his eye on a band that was more pop/hard rock hence his leaving and forming Rainbow in 1975.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2691 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Our boy put together a little playlist for our journey to Sutherland this weekend -

This one was my personal favourite - an Iranian mother & son combo - have a listen , I guarantee some of you will like it .

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

That's smashing Tomos
badabing
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by badabing »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 am Dad? Is that you? :chin:
Reminds me of my old dad, there was a WASP video on something like MTV, Blackie Lawless screaming out I don`t need no doctor, and my old man muttering, if anyone needs one it`s you mate!