Sturgeon launches Indyref 2 campaign

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Wilko1304, -DL-, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 388 likes
Total likes: 577 likes

Sturgeon launches Indyref 2 campaign

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Nicola Sturgeon to launch fresh Scottish independence campaign
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon is to launch a fresh campaign for Scottish independence.

Asked whether she was now formally beginning the campaign for indyref2, the first minister replied: "Yes".
She also insisted she still planned to hold another vote before the end of next year.
Ms Sturgeon said she would unveil the first in a series of new papers setting out the case for independence on Tuesday.
She added: "Had we known in 2014 everything we know now about the path the UK would have taken then, I've got no doubt Scotland would have voted yes back then."

(much) more...
Will the UK Parliament giver her permission? She can hold all the referenda she likes but they'll have zero legal standing on Scotland's position in the UK.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Re: Sturgeon launches Indyref 2 campaign

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Irn-Brexit.
hammers92
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by hammers92 »

SNP stood on an independence manifesto and won at the last election. They should be granted it.

The breakdown of the UK is coming sooner rather than later I’m afraid.
wolf359
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 615 likes

Post by wolf359 »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:55 pm SNP stood on an independence manifesto and won at the last election. They should be granted it.

The breakdown of the UK is coming sooner rather than later I’m afraid.
and if they lose but win the next GE in Scotland and third, forth, fifth.. I've no skin in the game and don't really care but it seems a case of 'vote until we get what we want' kind of thing or have I got this wrong?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 388 likes
Total likes: 577 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

If Scotland does go its own way, what would be the implications for Northern Ireland? The closest bond, for want of a better word, is between NI and Scotland expecially as that's where most of the plantation came from, and they still have sectarian marches, organisations and so on up there.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 597 likes
Total likes: 630 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Brexit was disastrous, but Scotland breaking up the Union ought to be a great success.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I’m half scotch, so Scotland trying to rejoin the EU could well be my ticket back to an EU passport 👍
hammers92
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by hammers92 »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:58 pm and if they lose but win the next GE in Scotland and third, forth, fifth.. I've no skin in the game and don't really care but it seems a case of 'vote until we get what we want' kind of thing or have I got this wrong?
That’s what Scotland was voting for in their last elections. We don’t know how events will transpire or what issues will arise in the future but right now, Scotland have voted for another vote.

I think the whole country voting against Brexit is also a significant factor. That feeling won’t subside any time soon.
OFT
Has liked: 1018 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by OFT »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:14 pm I’m half scotch, so Scotland trying to rejoin the EU could well be my ticket back to an EU passport 👍
Not sure the EU will be too keen having on another 'land border' to deal with.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Good luck to them. Remember last time out, commentators laughing behind their sleeves about oil price calculations in their grand plan being a bit high. They will certainly look too low now.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 266 likes
Total likes: 638 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I would like an English independence referendum so we can rid ourselves of these parasites. If tough economic times are coming, we need to look after ourselves and let the jocks, taffs and angry paddy's sort themselves out with their tax revenues not ours.

So embarrassed are RBS having the word Sotland in their name, they have renamed to Natwest.
OFT

Post by OFT »

Rays,
Is it Scottish oil or is it British oil and who will decide either way?(genuine question)
No good will come of this independence for anyone, north or south of the border, its like Brexit, Sturgeon, like Farage, wants it because she wants it, irrespective of the consequences.
Divide and conquer.
All IMO of course.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

OFT wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:22 am Rays,
Is it Scottish oil or is it British oil and who will decide either way?(genuine question)
No good will come of this independence for anyone, north or south of the border, its like Brexit, Sturgeon, like Farage, wants it because she wants it, irrespective of the consequences.
Divide and conquer.
All IMO of course.
Never forget that they are an individual nation first and foremost. We are just a union. Geographically the oil part tends to be up there and the gas part down here. Seems to me that it would be beneficial to allow them to have some of each.
OFT

Post by OFT »

Rays Rock wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:18 am Never forget that they are an individual nation first and foremost. We are just a union. Geographically the oil part tends to be up there and the gas part down here. Seems to me that it would be beneficial to allow them to have some of each.
:thup:

I get the impression that 'they' think the oil is all theirs and that it will remain so.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:56 pm Nicola Sturgeon to launch fresh Scottish independence campaign

Will the UK Parliament giver her permission? She can hold all the referenda she likes but they'll have zero legal standing on Scotland's position in the UK.
Isn't it something that would have to bow to a popular vote though? I mean the way politics works, no referendum result is written in stone in perpetuity. And if Holyrood declared independence, would we do a Putin?
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

vietnammer wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:06 am Isn't it something that would have to bow to a popular vote though? I mean the way politics works, no referendum result is written in stone in perpetuity. And if Holyrood declared independence, would we do a Putin?
I agree not for perpetuity, but I’d say more than 8 years though. I would imagine that it won’t happen though.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 369 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Scotsit~ Get it done
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Can’t see the Cons being particularly keen to give them another ref, surely it dooms them to electoral oblivion?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 1189 likes
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by EvilC »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 am Can’t see the Cons being particularly keen to give them another ref, surely it dooms them to electoral oblivion?
Doesn't it result in the other parties being kneecapped and it being far harder to form a coalition with how the electoral map is now (obviously that can change)? You have the nats with 75% of the Scottish seats, plus a few for the LDs and Labour.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

The important thing being missed is, if successful, what colour passport would they issue?