Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Seeds being sown for a group that would eventually look to call for a general strike?

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:15 am Seeds being sown for a group that would eventually look to call for a general strike?

I think a general strike is coming. I mean enough industries are voting for industrial action and the gov seems to be pushing industries into striking rather than negotiation..

Not good times for anyone.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Interesting theory ....

WestcliffHammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by WestcliffHammer »

This along with the Don't Pay UK movement things are going to get very ugly very soon

WestcliffHammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by WestcliffHammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:15 am Seeds being sown for a group that would eventually look to call for a general strike?

Not a full out strike its a movement for the working class who get **** on time and time again and foot the bill for everything although I think it will lead to that eventually. This Government doesn’t understand desperate people will do desperate things

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:11 pm Interesting theory ....
What our friend from Golders Green doesn't take into account is that you start to lose your personnel allowance once you breach 100k, so many opt to go only a tax code that means you pay tax on the first penny you earn.

Also as the amounts he is talking about fall within your taxable allowance for pension contributions, I would simply up my salary sacrifice on contributions to 12.5k per annum. Better my pension fund gets it than HMRC.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Do the redistribution numbers add up? He raises 18bn over 2 years and distributes it to everyone (65m?), thats £140 a year each.
SammyLeeWasOffside

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:35 pm
Surely if the billionaires go either the billions would be gone or the billionaires aren't in fact billionaires except on paper.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:30 pm Surely if the billionaires go either the billions would be gone or the billionaires aren't in fact billionaires except on paper.
The point is that if we wake up tomorrow and Bezos is dead, nobody cares. If we wake up and every Amazon employee is gone, there is a big problem.

If we support each other the workers are far more important than the billionaires.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:11 pm Interesting theory ....

I wish Nick Ferrari would lose a bit of weight, he doesn't look healthy.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

RichieRiv wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:03 pm What our friend from Golders Green doesn't take into account is that you start to lose your personnel allowance once you breach 100k, so many opt to go only a tax code that means you pay tax on the first penny you earn.

Also as the amounts he is talking about fall within your taxable allowance for pension contributions, I would simply up my salary sacrifice on contributions to 12.5k per annum. Better my pension fund gets it than HMRC.
Richie - forgive my ignorance but how does what you have said in your first paragraph work? The changing tax code part and what are the benefits?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:54 am Richie - forgive my ignorance but how does what you have said in your first paragraph work? The changing tax code part and what are the benefits?
Not Richie, but basically it means you pay the tax at source I.e. each month. Otherwise payroll calculates it based on a normal tax code with the personal allowance and you get a whacking great tax bill when you file your tax return (which you have to do once you cross a certain threshold, used to be £80k).

In theory you could stay on a normal tax code, work out how much the tax is and use that money to invest and then make sure you have it when the tax bill falls due I.e. effectively borrow interest free from the taxman, but it is so hard to get a reasonable fixed return these days that Richie’s pension idea isn’t a bad one if you can afford to put in the untaxed bit (38%ish).
MB

Post by MB »

Based on some of the mud being slung at Mick Lynch on social media yesterday (around comments, out of context, on the Russian invasion of Ukraine) it looks like this movement is really starting to really scare some people in/with power.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

He's a union leader, not a politician - and that us for good reason . That the head of the RMT has some tankie tendencies shouldn't really surprise anyone.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:40 pm The point is that if we wake up tomorrow and Bezos is dead, nobody cares. If we wake up and every Amazon employee is gone, there is a big problem.

If we support each other the workers are far more important than the billionaires.
How would the Amazon workers be impacted if bezos had died before he started the company?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

I’ve confidence that the British people would have found a way to sell & distribute books & CD’s online if Bezos had never existed.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

MB wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:55 am Not Richie, but basically it means you pay the tax at source I.e. each month. Otherwise payroll calculates it based on a normal tax code with the personal allowance and you get a whacking great tax bill when you file your tax return (which you have to do once you cross a certain threshold, used to be £80k).

In theory you could stay on a normal tax code, work out how much the tax is and use that money to invest and then make sure you have it when the tax bill falls due I.e. effectively borrow interest free from the taxman, but it is so hard to get a reasonable fixed return these days that Richie’s pension idea isn’t a bad one if you can afford to put in the untaxed bit (38%ish).
OK thanks
I do pay tax each month on PAYE so assume it doesn't apply to me

The threshold for filing tax return is 100k these days
MB

Post by MB »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:49 am OK thanks
I do pay tax each month on PAYE so assume it doesn't apply to me

The threshold for filing tax return is 100k these days
Depends how much you earn and what your tax code is. Always worth a look at your tax code as they are not always correct.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Junco Partner wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:10 am I’ve confidence that the British people would have found a way to sell & distribute books & CD’s online if Bezos had never existed.
Then why didn't they/dont they?

Where are all the innovative, workforce lead start ups?