Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:37 am I drive up and down the A303 about 20miles every day, for my commute, and I'm averaging 30mpg..

:nonpl:
See, that I can get with.

How's about we have a MPG competition between ourselves?

Currently I get on a good day 35, but on a bad day just a tad over 31. Was looking to trade in my car for something a bit more 'mid-life crisis' and would be lucky to achieve 25.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:37 am I drive up and down the A303 about 20miles every day, for my commute, and I'm averaging 30mpg..

That sounds pretty good for a tractor.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

I saw on a news segment last night a woman being interviewed saying they are struggling with heating/food bills and that Christmas is going to be tight this year - they have 7 kids.

Errrrrrrrr.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Jonah wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:44 am I saw on a news segment last night a woman being interviewed saying they are struggling with heating/food bills and that Christmas is going to be tight this year - they have 7 kids.

Errrrrrrrr.
She's ahead of the curve. :newthumb:

What with rising gas and electricity prices the need for chimney sweeps is only going to increase.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1335 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I used to get that at 18 when I drove a rusty Cortina 2ltr sport with a weber double carburettor and K&N air filter. Are you driving a truck??
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

bonzosbeard wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:51 am Are you driving a truck??
Yes, I have no right to complain.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Jonah wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:44 am I saw on a news segment last night a woman being interviewed saying they are struggling with heating/food bills and that Christmas is going to be tight this year - they have 7 kids.

Errrrrrrrr.
I get your point.

Isn't it interesting though how we glamourise stories of our great- and grandparents generations living 5 to a room and barely having enough to get by but when we're shown one of these in the modern day they're portrayed as feckless wasters?

I remember having this argument with my dad once. There was a family like the one above on the news and he was spitting out the usual Daily Mail nonsense "shouldn't have 'em if you can't afford them. what do they expect my taxes to pay for?". Had to remind him that he grew up in a a family of 7 living on the first floor of a council house they sublet from another family on the ground floor.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Yeh the irony is not lost on me DDA and point taken. My Maternal Nan was one of 13, Grandad one of 9.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

I dread to think what Christmas is going to be like for some people/children this year.
Well, just getting through winter, really.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

bonzosbeard wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:51 am I used to get that at 18 when I drove a rusty Cortina 2ltr sport with a weber double carburettor and K&N air filter. Are you driving a truck??
Sounds more like he's driving an old 2ltr Cortina with twin Webers and K&N air filter.......
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:31 am bloody hell, what are people driving to get that kind of mileage? :shock:
A pretty basic 2017 Skoda Fabia? Think it's a 1L engine. Don't really need much more around here, rarely do more than half hour as a journey.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:40 pm I get your point.

Isn't it interesting though how we glamourise stories of our great- and grandparents generations living 5 to a room and barely having enough to get by but when we're shown one of these in the modern day they're portrayed as feckless wasters?

I remember having this argument with my dad once. There was a family like the one above on the news and he was spitting out the usual Daily Mail nonsense "shouldn't have 'em if you can't afford them. what do they expect my taxes to pay for?". Had to remind him that he grew up in a a family of 7 living on the first floor of a council house they sublet from another family on the ground floor.
The difference is that your Father and his parents were not on the news giving interviews about how little they had.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

NowTV did me all Sky Sports channels for £25 a month which is frightening value. I watched City v Chelsea at home last night and estimated a trip to the pub and food on the way home would've cost me the same amount. Whilst I'm keen to support pubs, this is going to save a few quid!
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

jastons wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:20 am The difference is that your Father and his parents were not on the news giving interviews about how little they had.
I found myself judging an article the other day. At first I really felt sorry for the mum in question. Her and kids sit in dark in Sundays as metre runs out then where as before the £50 she puts on would last week and half

All sensible the way she said they sit in a room playing games by candles with jumpers and blankets etc

Really at first tugged on the heart strings ..

Widow aswell

But then the kids ages .. the youngest ones were 5 and 1.. with the husband passing "several" years ago

Now that then stuck out to me. There is someone who should be providing for some of those kids surely? And money clearly been tight since loss of husband so let's have even more kids?

I know you shouldn't judge but at same time it's hard not to.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:41 am NowTV did me all Sky Sports channels for £25 a month which is frightening value. I watched City v Chelsea at home last night and estimated a trip to the pub and food on the way home would've cost me the same amount. Whilst I'm keen to support pubs, this is going to save a few quid!
If you've already got Sky, you should be able to get the sports package for £9 a month.

I have the basic package with box sets thrown in, with the sports package for about £30 a month. Always worth haggling with them.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I haven’t got Sky. I watch so little tv that it’s pointless but have had my head swayed in recent times.

Watching football in the pub with the chaps is great but I was perfectly happy last night too.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

The dollar just dropped due to lower than expected inflation. £/$ now at 1.16.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

EvilC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:49 pm The dollar just dropped due to lower than expected inflation. £/$ now at 1.16.
But what mpg did you average on your last drive?
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:31 am bloody hell, what are people driving to get that kind of mileage? :shock:
I was thinking that and how crap the driving experience must be.

I get about 29 around town and 35 on a run in my F- Pace taking it easy, if I give it some beans that will easily drop by 10 on both counts.
Mrs get about 38 from her Fiesta but does to a Romford/Basildon run once a week which brings it up.
Son gets about 35 from his Focus bit mainly around town, about 45 on a recent airport run.
Daughter get about 35 from her Picanto but then she does like the right foot.

In My RS it was about 23 around town and 30 on a run taking it easy.

We probably only do about 20k a year between us at the moment so not overly concerned with the cost.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

1.5d Kadjar - usually get around 65-68 on a run (proper motorway speeds, and not 60mph all the way), and over 70mpg when I do a run and it's a busy motorway and doing between 50-65mph.

I get between 58-60mpg with local driving - and that's without the ECO button on too.

My economy improved when I applied the smooth driving techniques that I was taught to do in a bus (passenger comfort you see) to my day to day driving.

Getting the blended remap to 150bhp from 109bhp and having 310nm of torque from 260nm also makes a hell of a difference to the economy. Far less gear changes down.