Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Prob wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:05 pm They have banned protest. You can face a 10 years inside now for a protest.
Can you actually?

You can get 10 years for criminal damage to a memorial, but that's always been the case whether it's a protest or not. They just removed the bit where you could be fined for the damage.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:17 pm Can you actually?

You can get 10 years for criminal damage to a memorial, but that's always been the case whether it's a protest or not. They just removed the bit where you could be fined for the damage.
The Policing Act gets rid of the common law offence of public nuisance. It creates a new and very broad offence of “intentionally or recklessly causing public nuisance”

Examples of things that may be considered a public nuisance are someone blocking the entrance to a building, occupying a public space or hanging off a bridge as part of a protest. These could be considered to cause serious harm, as they could cause serious annoyance and inconvenience.

Of which you can face up to 10 years. Pretty much every protest can be seen as a public nuisance

This is what the government thinks are important. Not the fact that many can't afford their bills and food bank usage is on the way up.

While families can't afford rent and are having most of their wages eaten by that.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Prob wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:45 pm Examples of things that may be considered a public nuisance are someone blocking the entrance to a building, occupying a public space or hanging off a bridge as part of a protest. These could be considered to cause serious harm, as they could cause serious annoyance and inconvenience.
From liberty
You’re only guilty of the offence if:

you intend your behaviour to have this consequence, or
you are reckless as to whether it has this consequence. By “reckless”, it usually means you were taking unjustified risks.
Hanging from a bridge was an offence under the common law. Previously the law carried an unlimited sentence that has been reduced to 10 max
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

This thread is a prime example of the games the gov are up to. Get the working class to defend their changes to keep the masses firmly in their place whilst they cream off millions from the top

We are all playing our parts nicely.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:58 pm This thread is a prime example of the games the gov are up to. Get the working class to defend their changes to keep the masses firmly in their place whilst they cream off millions from the top

We are all playing our parts nicely.
It's a prime example of a thread getting pulled off topic by someones over exuberance in attacking all things Tory.......... :smiler:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

There are other threads, such as the long government thread for example, where the protest legislation can be discussed - or it could even be discussed in its very own thread should you wish.

However, just one last point on the protest legislation - I've seen in multiple places, not just here, how hauliers are sitting on their hands and not blocking highways like the French do, or blocking the terminals like they did in 2001 - and the reason for that, it was made illegal, and anyone with an operators licence that dare to protest by blocking highways and infrastructure, will have that licence revoked by the traffic commissioner and unable to earn a living. This was made statutory under a red Blair government - so this government isn't alone in curtailing people's rights of protest.

We've just been given a new pay offer from work - dressed it up as giving us extra, but when the sums are done, it's actually worse than the last offer. They've also sent out begging letters to all staff willing us to accept it - so The Union is now looking in to see if we can take a group action against the company for harassment and undue distress. The Union are not allowed to formally say to us we should reject it or put pressure on us to reject it, or send out anything like the company have done with us with this letter - so they're not going to allow the company to get away with it. This is going to get messy.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Reports on the news of 3 or 4 different fuel protests going on, all convoys of vehicles clogging up motorways and major roads by crawling along.

These feel like the sort of thing that could really easily snowball with how easy it is to organise locally on social media these days.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:49 am Reports on the news of 3 or 4 different fuel protests going on, all convoys of vehicles clogging up motorways and major roads by crawling along.

These feel like the sort of thing that could really easily snowball with how easy it is to organise locally on social media these days.
I saw Essex police tweet about planned protests today. Assumed it was going to be the usual mob. Is this one to do with energy prices then?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:49 am Reports on the news of 3 or 4 different fuel protests going on, all convoys of vehicles clogging up motorways and major roads by crawling along.

M4 being one of them.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Trying to arrange a new mortgage fix. I've had a mortgage since 2004, and I'm pretty certain this is the first time I've taken out a new fix and the rate has gone up since then. Looking at 3.14% for 5 or 7 years, which is a lot more than the 1.89% I'd been paying since 2017. Scary times.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:12 am Trying to arrange a new mortgage fix. I've had a mortgage since 2004, and I'm pretty certain this is the first time I've taken out a new fix and the rate has gone up since then. Looking at 3.14% for 5 or 7 years, which is a lot more than the 1.89% I'd been paying since 2017. Scary times.
The zero interest environment is at an end. I am paying £3k to exit my current fix a year early and replace it with another five year on approximately the same rate.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:12 am Trying to arrange a new mortgage fix. I've had a mortgage since 2004, and I'm pretty certain this is the first time I've taken out a new fix and the rate has gone up since then. Looking at 3.14% for 5 or 7 years, which is a lot more than the 1.89% I'd been paying since 2017. Scary times.
I've just locked in to a ten year fix (went through yesterday) and was in a similar position.

Our rate didn't increase much though, went from 2.09 to 2.24 .
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:00 pm I've just locked in to a ten year fix (went through yesterday) and was in a similar position.

Our rate didn't increase much though, went from 2.09 to 2.24 .
We took a ten year in Jan 2019 @ 1.89%

God knows what'll happen in 2029😟
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:13 pm We took a ten year in Jan 2019 @ 1.89%

Your mortgage will be a lot smaller so the interest rate will be less of a concern, I hope.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:13 pm We took a ten year in Jan 2019 @ 1.89%

You timed that to perfection then, sir :newthumb:
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Even if you oy get a 1% pay rise every year for 7 years you'll have 7% more wages to cover a higher bill. It's more likely you'll be earning at least 25% more.

You've done the right thing. I'm stuck on my 5 year one another 2 years.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Our mortgage is up for renewal soon. It sits at 1.89 like yours. We've been told it will go to 4.24%. OK that basis 3.14 looks pretty blood good?

Not sure if its a true apples and apples comparison though cos ours is a small extra mortgage taken to cover some sudden expenses.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

We’ve still got a year left on our previous deal - current rate is about 2.3%. Dread time think how many more hundreds it will be this time next year, despite house price going up and giving us a decent chunk of equity!
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Denbighammer wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:47 pm Our mortgage is up for renewal soon. It sits at 1.89 like yours. We've been told it will go to 4.24%. OK that basis 3.14 looks pretty blood good?

Not sure if its a true apples and apples comparison though cos ours is a small extra mortgage taken to cover some sudden expenses.
Is 4.24 the SVR?