Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1593 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by alf git »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:13 pm I found myself judging an article the other day. At first I really felt sorry for the mum in question. Her and kids sit in dark in Sundays as metre runs out then where as before the £50 she puts on would last week and half

I know you shouldn't judge but at same time it's hard not to.
Not a comment on you but on the story.
PAYG meters don't turn themselves off at weekends. If the credit runs out they turn off at 9:00 Monday morning. Not only that but if she's got a baby she'll be classified as vulnerable and a faulty meter would be exchanged as a matter of urgency.
So, in summary, I'm calling BS.
:grin:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:44 pm I notice it with milky milk. :) Four pints cost us £1.20 no more than say, six months ago, maybe eight max. Then £1.30. Then £1.40. Then £1.50. Now £1.55. So that's nearly a 30% increase in half/ two thirds of a year.
Milk watch - I know you’re all fascinated 🙂 £1.60 today so an increase of a third in what must be well under a year.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

Heinz tomato sauce has gone up about 50%. Actual increased costs or Kraft who own the brand just profiteering off the Brits who love their ketchup? :think:
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

This stuff about branded items rising in value is simple isn’t it? Don’t buy them.

Buy a supermarket own brand, or even cheaper option, make your own. Can’t complain about your shopping bill if you’re not taking adequate steps to minimise it.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

A lot of supermarket own brand goods are made by the white label brands anyway, so you can't go too wrong just buying own brand.

Baked beans, tomato ketchup and Coke are a couple of exceptions IMO but that's mostly through being used to the branded stuff

I'm not sure if it's still the case but Sainsbury's own chocolate used to be made on the same line as Thorntons. Own brand biscuits are usually made by McVities, with just a minor tweak to the recipe. Christmas turkeys, my mates farm produces them for Waitrose, Asda, Aldi and Tesco, literally just a different label on it.
smuts

Post by smuts »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:56 pm This stuff about branded items rising in value is simple isn’t it? Don’t buy them.

Buy a supermarket own brand, or even cheaper option, make your own. Can’t complain about your shopping bill if you’re not taking adequate steps to minimise it.
We tend to buy whatever one is on special.
Pob!
Has liked: 1063 likes
Total likes: 695 likes

Post by Pob! »

What crisis?
Honestly I haven't noticed any real difference and I ain't wealthy.
A few quid extra on my weekly shop that's about it. :eh:
Kentish Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by Kentish Hammer »

Pob! wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:46 pm What crisis?
Really?

No increase to your petrol or energy costs? No potential issues with interest rates next time you need to remortgage?
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:56 pm This stuff about branded items rising in value is simple isn’t it? Don’t buy them.

I agree about the branded goods, but if you shop @the German discounters you don't see that many of them (and I don't buy any branded stuff except tea).
Making your own, which I also do, doesn't avoid inflation, in the past 12 months (approx figs. since my last pension rise)
Milk 30%+, Butter 40%+, Bread Flour 18 %, Cheese 20%, Eggs ( don't know, but it'll be a lot cos my chicken food costs are up 25% and the little buggers have stopped laying), etc etc.
Now, I do all the shopping, cooking etc, as I'm retired. Probably spend an hour or so a day cooking /prep, etc. Working parents would struggle to find the time, no wonder they tend to buy more prepared stuff.
smuts

Post by smuts »

So much for the forecasts that inflation will peak at 11%. It's hit 11.1% today and I doubt it's going to drop anytime soon even with Hunt clobbering us all tomorrow.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Pob! wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:46 pm What crisis?
I hope it stays feeling that way for you. Food inflation is up by over 16%, over a sixth. It’s not a ‘crisis’ for us, and hopefully won’t become one, but we’re certainly noticing it.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Everything is creeping up in price which leads to less disposable income. I fear for charities who rely on donations to provide their good work.
simon hammer
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by simon hammer »

It will be interesting reading when Sainsburys, Tesco, Waitrose et al announce their profits.
YGNB
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by YGNB »

simon hammer wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:02 am It will be interesting reading when Sainsburys, Tesco, Waitrose et al announce their profits.
You know it's a good thing when a company makes profits right?
smuts

Post by smuts »

YGNB wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:13 am You know it's a good thing when a company makes profits right?
Every company should make a profit. However if they start announcing record ones, etc then something is definitely not right in the current climate.

Personally I don't think they will be.

Bloke in the shop round the corner to me was saying Heinz soup was marked up on the label at 85p a can about 9 months ago. Now it's £1.55 a tin or 2 for £2.80.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4382 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

A tin of Heinz vegetable soup is about £1.40 in Sainsburys unless discounted. A tin of Sainsburys vegetable soup is 65p.

Sainsbury's is less creamy tomato and more beefy with a lighter texture, but does the job.

Shout out for Lidl's Tower Gate Chocolate Digestive biscuits - they are better than Waitrose and Sainsbury's varieties. More biscuit, less chocolate, nice crunchy taste.

Also, in the current Branston shortage we've had to switch to Waitrose Baked Beans, which are about a third cheaper (a miracle with anything in Waitrose), but they are perfectly acceptable.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

Lidl tomato ketchup and mayo are both pretty good and are certainly value for money.

I was told (don't know if it is true) that the Lidl premium red onion chutney has the same bar code as the pay the difference Sainsbury's equivalent and is exactly the same product.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

By Javier Blas (Bloomberg Opinion)

The headlines are still screaming “food crisis,” and policymakers remain worried. Sure enough, the prices of a few staples, notably corn and wheat, are still high. But dig a bit deeper, and the scare is all but over. From salmon and chickpeas to lamb and tomatoes, food prices are coming down.
Deflation is now on the menu. It’s a sign that global inflation has peaked.

For central bankers fighting the largest price increases in 40 years, the drop in food prices should give some breathing room to slow down interest rate hikes. For monetary authorities and households in emerging nations, such as India and Brazil, where food accounts for a much larger share of day-to-day expenditures, the drop in farming prices is even more important.

The fall in wholesale agricultural commodities prices will take some time to filter down into the supermarkets. And their high energy and transportation costs will still offset some of the declines. Because of the delay from farm to fork, US families will stay pay dearly for their Thanksgiving turkeys later this month.

Yet even so, food inflation is reversing. Take the monthly food-cost index compiled by the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organisation. Over the last two years, it surged inexorably higher, posting year-on-year increases of as much as 40% by the middle of 2021, and 20% to 30% in early-to-mid 2022.

Since then, however, the index has fallen back sharply, paring its annual gains in October to just 1.9%. Based on current trends, the FAO index is likely to post in November its first annual drop in more than two years. Deflation is already visible in large swathes of food
categories, including fish, legumes and certain kinds of meat and vegetables. The cost of lamb, for example, is down 25% since January. Salmon prices are down 40% from their most recent peak. Poultry prices have tumbled more than 25% since the beginning of the year. And from a recent peak only a few months ago, chickpeas, a staple for one billion people in south Asia, are down 20%, while tomato prices in Europe have fallen 40% and palm oil in Asia is down almost 50%.

As important as these price drops are, it’s worth noting that rice — a key agricultural commodity — has remained stable despite dire predictions of shortages. In many ways, rice has single handily prevented a full-blown food crisis this year.

The whole concept of the 2022 food crisis was, from the very beginning, dubious. Consider the unequivocal sign of a true crisis: food riots.
The world saw them in 2007-2008, when protesters took to the streets in more than 50 nations from Haiti to Bangladesh. But other than in Sri Lanka, a nation blighted by much bigger economic problems, the world didn’t face any significant food riots in 2022. The key savior was the stability of rice, a staple for half of the world’s population. The worst food riots in 2007-2008 weren’t about the price of bread but the cost of a
bowl of rice.

Despite rising corn and wheat costs, rice prices have remained subdued in 2022. Several consecutive years of bumper harvests boosted global rice stockpiles to a record high, creating a buffer against inflation. Year-to-date, benchmark rice prices have averaged $414 per metric ton, below the 5-year average of $416 per ton and the 10-year average of $434 per ton. In 2007-2008, rice prices climbed, almost vertically, to above $1,000 per ton.

So why are prices now down across other food commodities? As always in the natural resources industry, the best cure for high prices is high prices — farmers and ranchers have reacted, boosting production. The weather has helped too, with better crops than many observers had predicted earlier this year. For example, Australia, the world’s second-largest wheat exporter after Russia, will harvest in 2022-2023 its second consecutive bumper crop. Canada and Brazil are expecting good crops, too.

The UN-brokered deal to restart Ukrainian grain exports has also helped. Its likely extension should bring a further drop in corn and wheat prices. Stronger grain exports from Russia, as the US and Europe quietly encourage commodity traders to continue shipping the country’s crop, is also helping. But above all, the world learned the mistakes of the 2007-2008 food crisis, when export bans exacerbated shortages. With the
exception of limited trade restrictions by India, most of the world’s top agricultural commodity exporters have this time kept markets largely open.

If anything, that’s the lesson of 2022: The best source of global food security is trade. Governments should make sure they remember it.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

You should never.. EVER have to compromise on the quality of your Baked Beans..

Sad times..
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4382 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:20 am You should never.. EVER have to compromise on the quality of your Baked Beans..

Sad times..
I must admit, it was a buy one can and see what happens type experiment. Toe in the water, with that terrified look of a baby who sees a spoon going towards their mouth with an unfamiliar looking substance on it.