Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by mumbles87 »

Loftyhammer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:37 pm Managed to get £800 even with the knock and zero NCD as a result - but it's one of these Telematics thingies. I don't drive like a loon and I don't drive very often these days, so hopefully should be ok
I could have got the cars with a box for £500 each I think but I don't like the idea of them using it as a reason not to pay out, always seen the boxes for people who struggle to get insurance like first time drivers etc not people with max no claims, and no points just defeats the objective of driving well? Lol

Just goes to show they can do it cheaper they just don't want to
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 868 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

It makes sense that a telemetrics device would make your premium cheaper, because it encourages the driver to not speed. Thus greatly reducing the likelihood of an accident.

You're right though, NCD should be a given that you already are a relatively 'better' driver, but it's an added layer of protection for the insurer.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Tenbury wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:51 pm I guy I know lives near my sister grew cauli for Tesco. (a couple of hundred acres). As the Cornish season was late and the later cauli was ready in Lincolnshire before it was all cut, they wouldn't take the last 50 or so acres. He didn't get paid for what he didn't supply, but (as per contract) he wasn't permitted to sell it elsewhere, so it got ploughed in.

That's what it's like trying to supply supermarkets.
How on earth are supermarkets permitted this sort of clause? If they choose not to buy a product because it doesn’t align with their timings, what benefit would it be to them to force a supplier to destroy it?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:40 pm How on earth are supermarkets permitted this sort of clause? If they choose not to buy a product because it doesn’t align with their timings, what benefit would it be to them to force a supplier to destroy it?
it possibly more common than you'd think, pretty sure any big supply chain will have clauses where their suppliers have to hand over their balls for 'safe keeping'.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:40 pm How on earth are supermarkets permitted this sort of clause? If they choose not to buy a product because it doesn’t align with their timings, what benefit would it be to them to force a supplier to destroy it?
For arguments sake, let's say Tesco don't want the cauliflower from Cornwall because their shelves are full of Lincolnshire cauliflower. The last thing they want is for the cornish farmer to sell it all half price to Asda and be undercut.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

That is just grotesque. What’s in it for the suppliers? Either agree to the clause or don’t make a sale? Can’t believe in a world of food waste and food poverty this is allowed.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Just been to Aldi for some veg shopping. I didn't do too badly and managed to get 3 out of 4 items on my list. They had no celery so I replaced with parsnip, however they did have plenty of bell peppers and I was expecting those to be one of the items unavailable. It's only for a random air fryer mix-up so I'm happy to substitute with whatever's available.

I did notice that they weren't selling turnips. So much for that idea.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:24 pm Just been to Aldi for some veg shopping. I didn't do too badly and managed to get 3 out of 4 items on my list. They had no celery so I replaced with parsnip, however they did have plenty of bell peppers and I was expecting those to be one of the items unavailable. It's only for a random air fryer mix-up so I'm happy to substitute with whatever's available.

Wife's grandad heard there was a shortage and decided (bless him) to pick up peppers and tomatoes on his shopping trip this week for us

Tomatoes used to make a dhansak and peppers cut up and frozen as we don't need them this week
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:24 pm

Not sure where else we access them from, Coffey slipped up again, it's not the UK growing season yet.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Essexmaniac wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:09 pm Not sure where else we access them from, Coffey slipped up again, it's not the UK growing season yet.
Yes, not sure why turnip farmer/importer, Therese Coffey, said that..
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:59 pm Can’t believe in a world of food waste and food poverty this is allowed.
Had a piece on local TV (South West) a week or two ago about farmers with excess crops, some over producing and others getting shafted.
There's been a scheme set up whereby the farmers contact a charity who organise a bunch of volunteers to pick/harvest whatever's left (think they said it was called gleaning) and distribute it all to food banks, small community schools and such like. Still a massive hit financially for the farmers but at least (down here anyway) not all of it is getting ploughed back in.

Still, it's disgusting by the supermarkets. All the reward with none of the risk.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:59 pm That is just grotesque. What’s in it for the suppliers? Either agree to the clause or don’t make a sale? Can’t believe in a world of food waste and food poverty this is allowed.
Primary producers (farmers, fishermen) whilst capable of making a good income when nature is kind, are very much in her hands. As such, any opportunity to grab any sort of guaranteed market means they're more than willing to sell their souls to Messrs. Tesco and friends.
Manufacturers, tend to be tackled in different ways (more anecdote, but this is my eldest daughter's experience) A large bakery that supplies a top of the range outlet with non bread items, opens an entire new unit where the production line has been bought and paid for by said retailer..... golden handcuffs.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Tenbury wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:05 am Primary producers (farmers, fishermen) whilst capable of making a good income when nature is kind, are very much in her hands. As such, any opportunity to grab any sort of guaranteed market means they're more than willing to sell their souls to Messrs. Tesco and friends.
Manufacturers, tend to be tackled in different ways (more anecdote, but this is my eldest daughter's experience) A large bakery that supplies a top of the range outlet with non bread items, opens an entire new unit where the production line has been bought and paid for by said retailer..... golden handcuffs.
Hopefully Clarkson will get a chance to highlight this, if Amazon makes another series.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:55 pm Hopefully Clarkson will get a chance to highlight this, if Amazon makes another series.
Apparently, they are......
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Good. Regardless of what you think of the bloke, he's doing a brilliant job of highlighting the issues faced by the agricultural sector in this country.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Just cancelled my Sky package robbing bastards have put up my package from £39 to £67 with April increases to come on top of that. When I phoned up they basically told me I should be grateful as it should cost £105! Then had the cheek to tell me there is no point cancelling if I want to go elsewhere as they will not be cheaper.

They didn't seem to understand that I only want Sky Sports (and not all of that) whilst telling me how much my 10000s channels are discounted.

Anyway back to 'Jack Sparrow' type activities for me (I tried to be to 'good')
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Now TV for about £30 mate. Sports only.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:03 pm Now TV for about £30 mate. Sports only.
Sky have fallen into the trap of increasing prices constantly that people won't just not think about it and keep it going forever out of habbit ..

Netflix are going same way ..this clamp down on sharing will just make people leave
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:03 pm Now TV for about £30 mate. Sports only.
NowTV is garbage though, 'other' streams are of higher quality. I will be going for 'other'

Don't get me wrong I like SkyQ it is a great product, I record all the F1, 2 and 3 (and FE) and watch it back at my convenience. You cannot do that with streams but I won't pay what they are asking.

As a side if you are prepared to mess around with virtual cards or Google Play accounts and VPNs you can get F1TV Pro for $30 for the year via an Indian subscription.