Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by simon hammer »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:47 pm

On currency/money my guess would be most currencies will finally vanish as we all get more global. We mostly thing in terms of numbers on a screen these days rather than tangible coins anyway. It's not that big a leap from that to us all using one set of numbers on a screen. Probably be known as the musk
I know some people I speak to only use cash, on the basis that "if we don't use it, we'll lose it" and their longer term thinking is set against 'social credit scores' and how they'd be a terrible thing. Cashless society, to them at least, represents the end of civilization and the start of mass control. Possibly a touch paranoid, or just modern day equivalent of the Luddites.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

simon hammer wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:17 pm I know some people I speak to only use cash, on the basis that "if we don't use it, we'll lose it" and their longer term thinking is set against 'social credit scores' and how they'd be a terrible thing. Cashless society, to them at least, represents the end of civilization and the start of mass control. Possibly a touch paranoid, or just modern day equivalent of the Luddites.
Step daughter is 18, you can probably count on one hand the times in a year she uses physical cash. The next generation will be practically no cash. After that it's all just numbers on screens.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:07 pm Step daughter is 18, you can probably count on one hand the times in a year she uses physical cash. The next generation will be practically no cash. After that it's all just numbers on screens.
I’m 44 and you can say that about me. I rarely use cash for myself. My daughters school bus in £7.60 a week and for some stupid reason is cash only, I often have to shoot out Sunday evening to draw out a £10 if/when that moves across I’ll touch cash very rarely. So easy to pay for stuff on my Apple Watch.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:07 pm Step daughter is 18, you can probably count on one hand the times in a year she uses physical cash. The next generation will be practically no cash. After that it's all just numbers on screens.
I don't use cash often either tbh.

Anyway...I'm sorry for taking this discussion away from the topic, but I massively appreciate your thoughts SLWO.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

I'm 53 & never ever carry cash.

My Missus has hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars stashed in various places. Her dad was an Officer in the Lao Royal Army, then the Communists came & took everything. It's called the Vietnam War but more bombs were dropped on Laos.

After the war he was imprisoned then he got out & swam across the Mekong River, picked up my mother in law then got to America.

The family are a tad suspicious of governments & organisations. As are many of the Lao community in San Diego. When covid hit the black market in goods here was fantastic to observe.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Inflation up to 9.4%. Highest for 40 years. More fuel to the fires.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:18 am Inflation up to 9.4%. Highest for 40 years. More fuel to the fires.
Tories be like:
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

And Johnson just came out with "Mission mostly accomplished" at PMQs.

What an absolute weapon. :thdn:
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Was his mission to see how many episodes of ‘Mr. Benn’ he could act out?

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Amazon workers in Tilbury are into the 2nd day of withdrawing their labour after being offered a 35p pay rise. Amazon claim that the offer was worked out based on amounts offered to similar workers in the local area but are unsurprisingly refusing to share that data with the employees.

Not really sure how they thought they could get away with an offer of 2.4-3.1% to a workforce that will be painfully aware of the current rate of inflation. Would also be really interested to know how many of those employees on £11.10 an hour are being subsidised by the state to work for Amazon in the form of in work benefits.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Inflation expected to rise to between 13 and 15 per cent!?
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:10 pm Amazon workers in Tilbury are into the 2nd day of withdrawing their labour after being offered a 35p pay rise. Amazon claim that the offer was worked out based on amounts offered to similar workers in the local area but are unsurprisingly refusing to share that data with the employees.

Not really sure how they thought they could get away with an offer of 2.4-3.1% to a workforce that will be painfully aware of the current rate of inflation. Would also be really interested to know how many of those employees on £11.10 an hour are being subsidised by the state to work for Amazon in the form of in work benefits.
Wouldn’t it be a good idea if large scale companies had to divulge the percentage of their workforce in receipt of in work benefits.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Truss worried about imposing "surprise taxes" on the likes of Shell, etc.

At least they'd know how we feel every time we open our latest bill...

No surprise but Truss was her usual hopeless self tonight and Burley skewered her at the end with her constant u turns.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:49 pm Inflation expected to rise to between 13 and 15 per cent!?
Yet the BoE think it's a great time to bump interest rates up 0.5%, adding a further £50pm to a £200k mortgage.

Still, great news if you're a bank, eh?
smuts

Post by smuts »

And Braverman says they should have done it quicker and harder...cheers Suella.

It won't do a thing whilst energy prices go through the roof. Everyone blames the Ukraine issue for the energy costs but before that they were flying up and it was down to a harsh European winter, low summer winds, Covid restart etc.
smuts

Post by smuts »

sendô wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:00 pm Yet the BoE think it's a great time to bump interest rates up 0.5%, adding a further £50pm to a £200k mortgage.

Still, great news if you're a bank, eh?
Expect the CEO's to be cheerfully reporting huge profits in the next 6 months. They can get tips how to deliver the good news from Shell, BP etc.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Expect prices to go up even further now Felixstowe Port workers are going to go on strike for 8 days, causing massive disruption to supply chains - and potentially even put some small hauliers out of business. My friend that has a fleet of 4 trucks is ****ting himself as Felixstowe is his main income, and if it's a complete shut down as promised, it may be one step too far.

Contrary to the currently held opinion that truckers are coining it in, the small companies are running on such tight margins they're barely keeping afloat, what with huge wage increases for drivers, the huge rise in the cost of fuel - and they're struggling to keep competitive with the likes of Stobart, Maritime, etc.

This shut down won't just affect us, it will affect supply chains globally. This is massive, yet as of yet, BBC are not running the story.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

As my mum would say. There's none so blind as those who have no wish to see.

Firstly banks borrow money before they lend it out to the likes of you and me. In fact, since the financial crisis, it has been against regulations to use depositors' cash. The rate at which banks borrow on the money markets is on the whole driven by the Bank of England base rate. So they are in effect passing the increase on.

Now I feel like I have just stepped into a time machine as these conversations were being had 13 years ago. It is a bank's job to make money for its shareholders. It's called fiduciary responsibility. Now if you have a fundamental issue with this, because you believe that it is morally reprehensible or you believe in communism, or you are simply the envious type, the good news is there are lots of options available to you. Credit Unions and Building Societies would be a good start. The other good news is the likes of RBS and Lloyds still have the Treasury as a shareholder. So if the banks do make money, the taxpayer wins too.

That's mortgages sorted, now credit cards and other unsecured lending. I have no sympathy if you cannot manage your finances. Credit Cards have always been a mug's game since their introduction in the 70s and maybe its about time people thought twice buying **** they don't need on tick.
smuts

Post by smuts »

I don't have much left on the mortgage thankfully so it's not going to hit me too much to be honest.

I just think that perhaps something more innovative is required in what's an unprecedented set of events rather than the cries to bang up interest rates extremely quick as people wrestle with their new energy bills and their weekly shop prices.

If inflation was being caused by rampant spending then fair enough.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

smuts wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:42 pm I don't have much left on the mortgage thankfully so it's not going to hit me too much to be honest.

I just think that perhaps something more innovative is required in what's an unprecedented set of events rather than the cries to bang up interest rates extremely quick as people wrestle with their new energy bills and their weekly shop prices.

If inflation was being caused by rampant spending then fair enough.
I couldn't agree more mate. As I said in this or another thread, they are employing the only theories they know. They lack the imagination but in fairness this situation is unprecedented.