Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by Hammer1966 »

Be interesting to see how illegal streaming progresses in the coming months / years. Recently the UK Police forces have taken the step of actually knocking on doors with regards to people using hacked sticks. They take a dim view of the illegal gangs behind them and are looking to cut off the source of their revenue. Fines of up to £800 are reportedly being handed out.

The rights holders and broadcasters are also cracking down on illegal hacks to their content. Its become harder and harder to obtain a reliable stream as they start to monitor the feeds and insist on better digital encryption. Add in the risk of picking up a nasty virus when dipping your dongle in the dark and dirty parts of the Web then the whole thing starts to become somewhat less attractive.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I know a few people with those modded sticks to get pretty much every channel and stream going.

One paid £90 for the stick with everything preloaded, just the one off fee.

The other pays £6 a month to some czech bloke that keeps the servers for that version up and running.

I'm a crook, I stream our games if they aren't on the TV, but never really felt like going for one of those modded sticks for the whole shebang.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

Hammer1966 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:44 pm Be interesting to see how illegal streaming progresses in the coming months / years. Recently the UK Police forces have taken the step of actually knocking on doors with regards to people using hacked sticks. They take a dim view of the illegal gangs behind them and are looking to cut off the source of their revenue. Fines of up to £800 are reportedly being handed out.
That's easily solved - don't open the door. They can't enter your house without a warrant, and you are under no obligation to open your front door purely because a copper knocks on it.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 940 likes
Total likes: 483 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Hammer1966 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:44 pm Be interesting to see how illegal streaming progresses in the coming months / years. Recently the UK Police forces have taken the step of actually knocking on doors with regards to people using hacked sticks.
Can they find you with if you run a VPN?
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Hammer1966 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:44 pm Be interesting to see how illegal streaming progresses in the coming months / years. Recently the UK Police forces have taken the step of actually knocking on doors with regards to people using hacked sticks. They take a dim view of the illegal gangs behind them and are looking to cut off the source of their revenue. Fines of up to £800 are reportedly being handed out.

The rights holders and broadcasters are also cracking down on illegal hacks to their content. Its become harder and harder to obtain a reliable stream as they start to monitor the feeds and insist on better digital encryption. Add in the risk of picking up a nasty virus when dipping your dongle in the dark and dirty parts of the Web then the whole thing starts to become somewhat less attractive.
No, they haven't. The only "door knocking" they have done has been for people who are reselling IPTV services. Absolutely no chance that the police are interested in someone sitting in their front room watching 3pm PL games. The most you might get is one of those "cease and desist" letters that were popular with ISPs about 15 or so years ago. Nobody in this country has ever been prosecuted for downloading films or music, and nobody will ever be prosecuted for watching illegal football streams.
Last edited by wildkard on Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:13 pm Can they find you with if you run a VPN?
I'd be absolutely amazed if plod can find anyone doing any sort of streaming, VPN or no.

Oh, and the fact that a lot of ISPs block these streams anyway, so you NEED a VPN to even play them, is hilarious. They are basically forcing you to to become undetectable.

Anyway, don't worry about streaming, you're safe enough. Those recent stories about arrests and such were just scaremongering, and only referring to resellers anyway (a point which was left out, but googling the "offenders" names soon solved that mystery)
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/pira ... 59510.html

Reports of a switch in focus from operators to viewers.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

Hammer1966 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:27 pm https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/pira ... 59510.html

Were they using one of these?

smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

Had a mass of emails last few weeks from phone companies etc all putting their prices up by over 10% due to inflation with an additional 3-4% so they can "invest".

Bet I won't be getting anywhere near a 10% pay increase this year...
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1593 likes

Post by alf git »

Hammer1966 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:27 pm https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/pira ... 59510.html

Behind a paywall. Is there a stream? :winker:
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

alf git wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:02 pm Behind a paywall. Is there a stream? :winker:
Get a VPN. You'll be sorted :winker:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

1,000 eh? Brilliant detective work.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

alf git wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:02 pm Behind a paywall. Is there a stream? :winker:
No but there's a 12ft ladder (google it)
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1593 likes

Post by alf git »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:07 pm No but there's a 12ft ladder (google it)
Every days a school day :thup:

Wasn't worth the almost zero effort it took having said that :grin:
jastons
Has liked: 893 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by jastons »

You don't need a hacked or modded fire stick either.
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

The number seems to vary depending on who reports it. Ones that mention names of those nicked identifies them as resellers. Didn’t happen.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:41 pm Just cancelled my Sky package robbing bastards have put up my package from £39 to £67 with April increases to come on top of that. When I phoned up they basically told me I should be grateful as it should cost £105! Then had the cheek to tell me there is no point cancelling if I want to go elsewhere as they will not be cheaper.

They didn't seem to understand that I only want Sky Sports (and not all of that) whilst telling me how much my 10000s channels are discounted.

Anyway back to 'Jack Sparrow' type activities for me (I tried to be to 'good')
My contract with Sky was up but I have rearranged a decent deal. Upgraded WiFi to Ultrafast and all TV channels and catch up services ith a Q box, including Sports, for less than £70

Cheaper than the contract I took out 18 months ago
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Wife is sim only with bt mobile. Think it was going up to £15 a month. I mean it's not a lot just takes the Mick when we suppose to get £5 discount for being BT customers

12 GB data , only 4g and not even roaming included

So found lebra mobile, £7 a month 15gb data and roaming...plus 5g

Yeah jog on BT

Ending up buying myself a new phone as my contracts coming up and O2 wanting me to go onto 36 month plans? Erm no ...SIM only £15 a month for the data size I would need

Not bad. And the saving pm more than repays the savings for the new phone over the period

OnePlus had a deal aswell £100 extra trade in.. found an old old phone that's worth £30.. so £130 they gave me off their OnePlus 11 . That will do
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Had the inevitable EE email - going up £11.50 per month to over £90. Only got 4 months for the contract to finish, then it'll be their cheapest tarrif or move to another provider. Time to take the piss like everyone else at work and use the Vodafone business unlimited SIM in the phone for absolutely everything.
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:49 am My contract with Sky was up but I have rearranged a decent deal. Upgraded WiFi to Ultrafast and all TV channels and catch up services ith a Q box, including Sports, for less than £70

Cheaper than the contract I took out 18 months ago
Seems to go like that with them... I have cancelled before an they phoned me up the day before the SkyQ box was due to be returned with the offer I had up to now. I would like Sky, mainly because I watch the racing with my daughter (it is a father/daughter thing we have) but I will not pay those prices, and no telling me it is a 'good deal' will change that. If they offer me it for £45 I'll take it if not I'll buy F1TV for 12 months from Netherlands for 59 Euro for the year (less than Sky want for a month - yes I get more with Sky but only the Cricket and F1 interests me really)