Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by the pink palermo »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:07 am I don't know this stuff at all, certainly not how you do but don't they also have:
15 BN A year subsidy
3bn a year build up in SNCF debt despite the subsidy
35bn (of the 45bn total) SNCF debt taken on by taxpayers in 2017.
This despite a monopoly and state measures to disadvantage road freight.and coach services.

How does all that equate to be profitable?
Goodwill :winker:

It's mentioned on every balance sheet.

Seriously, what value can you place on improving or at least sustaining the quality of life for a country's citizens
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:39 am Goodwill :winker:

It's mentioned on every balance sheet.

Seriously, what value can you place on improving or at least sustaining the quality of life for a country's citizens
Well judging by the moaning from unions about higher taxes for social care about £200 a year is too much.

But the point mentioned was the French system in nationalised and makes a profit, a win win. I'm trying to find out if that's the whole story. France got loads of credit for the energy cap due to nationalised industries but that wasn't the whole story.

Not sure people had that much goodwill for British rail lol. As much as people want privatisation or nationalisation we still end up paying.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:12 pmAlso Ive checked Google Play and there is no app that can go and give first aid to a torso and severed limbs as well as keep several hundred school children away from the scene. That was last Tuesday. The second jumper of the year. Same guy attended 4 last year. But maybe you are onto something Jim and we could write an app
A snide, sarcastic reply offering nothing. As usual. I've not suggested removing staff. I've suggested redeploying them. You may have well provided your favourite recipe for banana bread.

Liverpool to Cardiff a few weeks back. My first train to Crewe for the connection was cancelled. I went to the Lime Street ticket office for help on a Saturday afternoon. No queue. "I'm sorry, lovie. I didn't catch a word of that. Can you start again, please?" was the reply when I asked what best to do. She suggested waiting for an hour for the next train but could make no promise whether that would go. Apparently there was a technical issue which I'm assuming striking workers were responsible for? I used my own initiative and found a local stopping Merseyrail train for Chester and caught that by seconds. Had this been told to me? No. A hen night from Cardiff had to do the same thing. On that local service, two security officials got on checking no tickets and spent the entire journey chatting. Numerous swear words and they both looked like thugs. There were children on board. The Chester train was two carriages and many had to stand for a good hour before seats were freed up. It was Wales v Ukraine the next day and North Wales provides a huge number of support. No extra carriage? Again, tickets never checked. On the way back on the Monday, the train was disgustingly overcrowded with many standing for the entire journey. No inspector, no trolley service. I then missed my connection back to Liverpool.

If I had time, I'd repeat awful service after awful service. Staff members at Paddington who couldn't speak English properly. Given incorrect information. Rude, indifferent service. Power trippers in jackets with walkie talkies. Abhorrent fares. Cancelled trains. No visible assistance.

The ones taking criticism personally have something to hide. Unions are run by far left bullies.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Just sounds like it’s rough and unfriendly up North mate :grin:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:26 pm
Unions are run by far left bullies.
For someone that's never been in a union, you seem to know a lot about them.

FTR, since I've been in the bus industry, without exception, each and every shop steward I've had has been a right of centre, Tory voter. But then, if you'd been in a Union, you'd know your statement is utter b*llocks.

Every shop steward I've had, apart from one self serving cretin in London, have been anything but a bully, and have stood up for their member's right without any prejudice - and my last two shop stewards have gone above and beyond for me during my illness and time off sick. They're genuinely good good people. I've not been lucky, I've actually been in a union (and still am) and found this out myself. Unlike you.

I've got £75 a week from my Union every week that I am off sick, I've had free legal advice from my Union when it looked like the company were trying to force me out, I've managed to get an additional sickness plan through my Union, that after 6 months of being on it will cover me for pre-existing conditions, at a rate I could only dream of if I wasn't a member. They helped my keep my head above water when I was going through the toughest time.

Stop believing everything you read in the papers, and perhaps you may lose that chip on your shoulder that you appear to have developed.

And join a Union. One day, you may need one, but by then, it will be too late.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

-DL- wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:45 pm For someone that's never been in a union, you seem to know a lot about them...
Spot on DL

Ive personally been in 2 unions

I was in rmt from day dot because they were only ones who let in apprentices

But I left them after 10 years because I didn't like they way they behaved personally and joined TSSA as they seemed more in the line of talks first strike last

I appreciate any protection I am given

And I would advise anyone to join one
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Tomorrow strikes to go ahead.

Talks failed

Looks like the gov didn't allow network rail to actually end it they just want it to drag on

Wonder what bad news story they want to bury
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

-DL- wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:45 pm For someone that's never been in a union, you seem to know a lot about them.
Never been in one so no personal experience. My dad was in the NUM and mum was but/nasuwt all their working lives. From their experiences I'd say there is a difference between the day to day union bods and the more activist lot.

Mum was out on strike a few times but not once got to cast a vote for or against. The union knew the members didn't want to come out so habitually ran long meetings after work knowing most people would go home. Once everyone had drifted off they called a vote.

NUM activists through the 50s to the 80s were about as nastiest group of thugs you could hope to meet. I know of lots of their members that had night time visits. It was a different animal entirely to unions today it became about power and control in communities as much as workers rights.

It's when it gets political that it goes wrong imo. It becomes about self aggrandisement if they aren't careful. All the class war claptrap doesn't get anybody anywhere.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Question for anyone that might know - given the tough economic circumstances and that people striking don't get paid, albeit that they get some sort of payment from the union that I doubt is anywhere near a day's wage, is the government looking like it might simply try and wait them out given that the economic climate is terrible and that the impact of the strikers is reduced from what it was pre-COVID due to WFH?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

EvilC wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:59 pm Question for anyone that might know - given the tough economic circumstances and that people striking don't get paid, albeit that they get some sort of payment from the union that I doubt is anywhere near a day's wage, is the government looking like it might simply try and wait them out given that the economic climate is terrible and that the impact of the strikers is reduced from what it was pre-COVID due to WFH?
Could easily be the way. However they don't normally get payment unless they can't afford their bills

It looks like the Tories are playing for making these strikes last

-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

EvilC wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:59 pm Question for anyone that might know - given the tough economic circumstances and that people striking don't get paid, albeit that they get some sort of payment from the union that I doubt is anywhere near a day's wage, is the government looking like it might simply try and wait them out given that the economic climate is terrible and that the impact of the strikers is reduced from what it was pre-COVID due to WFH?
I can't speak for the members of this particular union, but when we go out in August, we'll be short by about 30 quid a week after the Union payment to us.

There's not a lot in it for us.

The impact may very well be worse than it was pre-covid, because passenger numbers are down by 35% still, yet service levels are still the same - no buses out, means no revenue - and probably unlike trains, we still take a hell of a lot of cash and card payments for single trips and day tickets.

It will hurt them. The estimates are they would lose around £20 per mile on strike days. With 100 buses out on the road each day, and a quarter of them out for 21 hours - that's a lot of money, miles and a lot of £20s.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Thanks chaps.

I guess the union runs out of funds eventually if this goes on for a while?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

EvilC wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:12 pm
I guess the union runs out of funds eventually if this goes on for a while?
The big unions are swathed in cash, bonds, and assets. It would have to be for a very long time before they can no longer do it.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:03 pm It looks like the Tories are playing for making these strikes last
Lots of nationwide strikes will wear at public sympathy, opening the way for new restrictions on striking like we had for protesting down the line.
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

Who's going on strike? And why?

I know the railways are.

Anyone else?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:26 pm A snide, sarcastic reply offering nothing. As usual. I've not suggested removing staff. I've suggested redeploying them. You may have well provided your favourite recipe for banana bread.
Personally I thought it was fully deserved based upon your ill thought out comments that are more often than not based upon nothing but your own ignorance.

There are hundreds of stations across the UK whose staff undertake multiple roles so "deploying" them to new roles isn't really an option.

I too have been helped by a union despite not being a member of Unite. In fact they served the interests of 6000 staff with only a proportion actually being members. The Unite rep was not a left wing bully, just ensuring that we were treated fairly.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

RichieRiv wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:48 pm Personally I thought it was fully deserved based upon your ill thought out comments that are more often than not based upon nothing but your own ignorance.

There are hundreds of stations across the UK whose staff undertake multiple roles so "deploying" them to new roles isn't really an option.

I too have been helped by a union despite not being a member of Unite. In fact they served the interests of 6000 staff with only a proportion actually being members. The Unite rep was not a left wing bully, just ensuring that we were treated fairly.
Our stations got stuffed by fit for future stations

People were offered grade or location (why I dunno)

So what do you take? Pay cut or location

So supervisor at Holborn was dropped to Dagenham.. miles from where he lives and had no idea of track lay out or anyone to show him as lone working
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

The Union I was in were fantastic with me when I had an accident at work. They provided the kind of legal assistance that I could never have afforded
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:50 pm every chart i see says the garages make 2-3p a litre as profit , im not sure how true it is at all

supermarkets always were cheapest to get people through the door
Driving along a road in Edinburgh last night. Within 5 minutes - BP 1.99, Shell 197.9 and Sainsbury 1.95 all for Diesel.

I'm guessing they are all paying the same price for 'wholesale' Diesel. If Sainsbury are still making a profit then BP must be absolutely coining it in!
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

sendô wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:53 pm One thing's for certain, Tesco have been absolutely coining it in the last two years.

What are fuel prices like at Costco?
Glasgow Costco - 1.80 for unleaded, 1.84 for premium unleaded and diesel 1.88