Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by Big George »

Good thread on the causes of the shriotages.

TL:DR while Brexit hasn't helped, it isn't the reason it's happening.
TL:DR 2 Supermarkets are bandits
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

I don't get the bit about supermarkets being unwilling to pay for produce. Surely they'd rather have to pay more, then sell for a higher price, than have completely empty shelves? And where are all these tomatoes going that Tesco won't buy? Are they just vanishing?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

We've just been quoted an extra £200+ pa for our home and contents insurance.

Neither my house nor my contents has changed from last year.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Big George wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:56 am Good thread on the causes of the shriotages.

TL:DR while Brexit hasn't helped, it isn't the reason it's happening.
TL:DR 2 Supermarkets are bandits
I read a book years ago called 'Not On The Label' that, amongst other things, explained how supermarkets had producers over a barrel. I recall one of the things it claimed was that, when supermarkets ran a promotion on something - lets say for example half price on apples - the producers were expected to foot the cost even though it was wholly the supermarkets idea.

Edit: Just found an article here that describes the above practice: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... promotions
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

wildkard wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:12 am I don't get the bit about supermarkets being unwilling to pay for produce. Surely they'd rather have to pay more, then sell for a higher price, than have completely empty shelves? And where are all these tomatoes going that Tesco won't buy? Are they just vanishing?

Because of increased energy costs, suppliers didn’t plant tomatoes etc which are due to be harvested now.

Supermarkets offer x price which doesn’t make it worthwhile for suppliers to turn in the heating in poly tunnels/growing sheds through winter. Supermarkets thought they get round it by importing stuff from southern Europe North Africa but got their pants pulled down by the weather.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

sendô wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:27 am We've just been quoted an extra £200+ pa for our home and contents insurance.

Energy bills at the insurer's offices and cost of living wage increases for their staff will be the justification as well as their suppliers charging them more for their inputs because of their bills and their wages.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1564 likes

Post by alf git »

sendô wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:27 am We've just been quoted an extra £200+ pa for our home and contents insurance.

Bandits, all of them.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Heard this a lot. My Dad's insurance shot up for no good reason (40 years and no claim, low crime area etc)
Scumbags the lot of them.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Denbighammer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:45 pm Heard this a lot. My Dad's insurance shot up for no good reason (40 years and no claim, low crime area etc)
Scumbags the lot of them.
Why are you paying for contents then, I haven't for over 40 years?

Stopped paying building cover when the mortgage finished a couple of years ago

Got a couple of dogs mind
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

old fart wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:21 pm Why are you paying for contents then, I haven't for over 40 years?

Stopped paying building cover when the mortgage finished a couple of years ago

Got a couple of dogs mind
that's quite a risk, would be tragic if something happened and you lost everything with no come back.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:30 pm that's quite a risk, would be tragic if something happened and you lost everything with no come back.
About 15 years ago, a house near my old place got struck by lightning and the whole place was on fire.

They didn't have insurance, no idea where they ended up.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Got my new insurance quote for the car from Aviva.

140 quid more than it is currently.

Gave my bank a try and got quoted about 20 quid less than I'm currently paying...and the actual policy is also from Aviva.

Thieving gits.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Received car quote from present insurers £25 less than last year.

I nearly fell over.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Yeah going through all of that now....2 cars, house insurance. I had a bump in my car in the summer & have bought a Tesla so fully expected that to be higher (not £1,500 mind!); but wife's car insurance has gone up nearly 30% and house insurance by the same....for no real reason. Honestly thought that cr*p had stopped a few years ago - but no, off we go again trawling through comparison sites. We can get them cheaper....but it's just such an unnecessary ball ache.
Loftyhammer

Post by Loftyhammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:30 am I read a book years ago called 'Not On The Label' that, amongst other things, explained how supermarkets had producers over a barrel. I recall one of the things it claimed was that, when supermarkets ran a promotion on something - lets say for example half price on apples - the producers were expected to foot the cost even though it was wholly the supermarkets idea.

Edit: Just found an article here that describes the above practice: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... promotions
It's not really over a barrel as such and more often than you might think, the brands push funded promotions as well. Market share is a big target for many FMCGs especially....so it make sense for them to do it. More volume, more visibility in the shops etc. Daft thing is that competing brands all do the same thing, and supermarkets especially don't want to be exposed to or favour one brand over another. Take Duracell and Energiser (dull I know!); both basically the same product but we used to essentially rotate in and out of the same funded deals month to month and if we even thought about not doing it, they would get the right a*se.

Obviously I'm talking about larger brands in this example but funded promotions are often part of a supplier's business model.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Loftyhammer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:13 pm Yeah going through all of that now....2 cars, house insurance. I had a bump in my car in the summer & have bought a Tesla so fully expected that to be higher (not £1,500 mind!); but wife's car insurance has gone up nearly 30% and house insurance by the same....for no real reason. Honestly thought that cr*p had stopped a few years ago - but no, off we go again trawling through comparison sites. We can get them cheaper....but it's just such an unnecessary ball ache.
Happened with both of ours

Direct line wanted £750 mine and 820 hers after being £460 and 620 the year before

They put the excess up to £150 from £50

No changes at all full no claims me 5 years wife

They put hers down to £720 when I questioned it but no wiggle on mine

Shopped around found £715 wife and £650 me.. best I could do

Won't be going Tesla even tho cars dropped in price now as I checked their insurance £1500-1900 no thanks, Kia niro £600 that's less of a rip off

Still maintain that whilst costs have risen people moaned too much new customers got best deals so rather than everyone getting better deals we all get shafted now
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Loftyhammer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:19 pm It's not really over a barrel as such and more often than you might think, the brands push funded promotions as well. Market share is a big target for many FMCGs especially....so it make sense for them to do it. More volume, more visibility in the shops etc. Daft thing is that competing brands all do the same thing, and supermarkets especially don't want to be exposed to or favour one brand over another. Take Duracell and Energiser (dull I know!); both basically the same product but we used to essentially rotate in and out of the same funded deals month to month and if we even thought about not doing it, they would get the right a*se.

Obviously I'm talking about larger brands in this example but funded promotions are often part of a supplier's business model.
That's with big brand... does the same apply to farmers?
Loftyhammer

Post by Loftyhammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:28 pm That's with big brand... does the same apply to farmers?
Honestly, I'm not totally sure. Possibly not as with fresh produce the brand is less obvious....but they will all still want to push volume.

I'm not saying it's right btw...it's "part of the game" these days unfortunately, Smaller brands/producers will find it hard to compete if they can't fund promotions
Loftyhammer

Post by Loftyhammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:26 pm Happened with both of ours

Direct line wanted £750 mine and 820 hers after being £460 and 620 the year before

Won't be going Tesla even tho cars dropped in price now as I checked their insurance £1500-1900 no thanks, Kia niro £600 that's less of a rip off

Still maintain that whilst costs have risen people moaned too much new customers got best deals so rather than everyone getting better deals we all get shafted now
Managed to get £800 even with the knock and zero NCD as a result - but it's one of these Telematics thingies. I don't drive like a loon and I don't drive very often these days, so hopefully should be ok
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:28 pm That's with big brand... does the same apply to farmers?
I guy I know lives near my sister grew cauli for Tesco. (a couple of hundred acres). As the Cornish season was late and the later cauli was ready in Lincolnshire before it was all cut, they wouldn't take the last 50 or so acres. He didn't get paid for what he didn't supply, but (as per contract) he wasn't permitted to sell it elsewhere, so it got ploughed in.

That's what it's like trying to supply supermarkets.