Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm constantly re-evaluating what I eat as prices go up and adjusting accordingly. At the moment I'm paying less for my weekly shop than I was this time last year.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

In news that will come as a shock to nobody, Tesco chairman says food firms may be taking advantage of inflation.
Some food firms may be using inflation as an excuse to hike prices further than necessary, the chairman of Tesco has said.

Asked by the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg if food producers were taking advantage of the poorest in society, John Allan said it was "entirely possible".

He said Tesco was trying "very hard" to challenge price hikes it thinks are illegitimate.

Food costs including milk and cheese are rising at their fastest since 1977.

Mr Allan said all supermarkets were challenging cost increases from suppliers where they could - and Tesco was confronting companies it believed were increasing prices beyond what was necessary.

"We do try very hard to challenge [price hikes], I think," Mr Allan said.

more...
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Shabu wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:21 pm There's a major egg shortage here.

It's up to $10 for a dozen regular eggs.

My shop hasn't raised our prices but it's one box per customer so we're having outraged people all day :lol:
You wanna buy some chickens, Shabs.. unless they're not going cheep..
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:25 pm I'm constantly re-evaluating what I eat as prices go up and adjusting accordingly. At the moment I'm paying less for my weekly shop than I was this time last year.
We haven’t bought chicken or mince for a few weeks as they’ve rocketed up. 4 pack of chicken breast in Lidl cost £6.09 yesterday.

We’ve started eating less meat as a result and I’m not in any way bothered about it.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:56 am We’ve started eating less meat as a result and I’m not in any way bothered about it.
I only have meat once or twice a week, usually treat myself to a cheap steak at the weekend Aldi (or the surprisingly good and cheap-ish Amazon Fresh - two 3oz fillet steaks for £8) .

Chicken breast is over rated (imho) Thighs in the slow cooker are superior and much cheaper (well I think so anyway.)

Non-meat wise, I tend to scoop up a lot of the 'fake meats' reduced at my local Sainsbury's the locals have not go into it yet (some have not discovered fire yet) so I'll save a few quid by being adventurous (never came across something I didn't like - though I have noticed they tend to be spice and sauce heavy - maybe covering the fact these substitutes are not very tasty.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:56 am We haven’t bought chicken or mince for a few weeks as they’ve rocketed up. 4 pack of chicken breast in Lidl cost £6.09 yesterday.

We’ve started eating less meat as a result and I’m not in any way bothered about it.
I'm sure some companies think inflation has peaked and are just having one final hurrah to coin what they can.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

My eldest daughter (final Yr, Food Science degree) has been asked by the County Council to devise, and prepare on film, 6 to 10 recipes for their web page, suitable for families on a low budget. She was sharing a few ideas with me over the weekend,and I learnt a few interesting things :
Firstly, if you cook anything with beef mince (cottage pie/bolognaise/chilli/keema/etc) use only 3/4 s of the mince suggested, and add instead dried red lentils (well cheap) half way through the process, just make sure you add a bit of water and cook them for about 30 mins. You'll save cash, and it'll taste better.
Second, if you can't make bechamel( which you need for, say, potato, leak and ham dauphinois) get one of the powder sauce packets, make with water as per instructions then chuck grated cheese in... You can't tell the difference...

© #Bumsnet 2023....
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Tenbury wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:27 pm Firstly, if you cook anything with beef mince (cottage pie/bolognaise/chilli/keema/etc) use only 3/4 s of the mince suggested, and add instead dried red lentils (well cheap) half way through the process, just make sure you add a bit of water and cook them for about 30 mins. You'll save cash, and it'll taste better.
Kidney beans and Chick peas work well also , I use no more than half mince these days.. Chick peas are great (I know kidney beans are a bit 'marmite' but i love 'em)
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:32 pm Kidney beans and Chick peas work well also , I use no more than half mince these days.. Chick peas are great (I know kidney beans are a bit 'marmite' but i love 'em)
Ironically I think it tastes better this way. Adds more flavour
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

Tenbury wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:27 pm My eldest daughter (final Yr, Food Science degree) has been asked by the County Council to devise, and prepare on film, 6 to 10 recipes for their web page, suitable for families on a low budget. She was sharing a few ideas with me over the weekend,and I learnt a few interesting things :
Firstly, if you cook anything with beef mince (cottage pie/bolognaise/chilli/keema/etc) use only 3/4 s of the mince suggested, and add instead dried red lentils (well cheap) half way through the process, just make sure you add a bit of water and cook them for about 30 mins. You'll save cash, and it'll taste better.
Second, if you can't make bechamel( which you need for, say, potato, leak and ham dauphinois) get one of the powder sauce packets, make with water as per instructions then chuck grated cheese in... You can't tell the difference...

© #Bumsnet 2023....
Have been doing this with my chicken tikka masala for the last couple of years.

About half the chicken that I used to have & add chick peas, mushroom, peas, lima beans, frozen spinach or whatever I'm in the mood for that day.

Another great cheap protein source is Tempeh. Only costs $2.49 at my shop & contains 51 grams of protein as well as a load of fibre. Has no taste so you can make it into what you want. I'm not really a fan of tofu though. Made the Missus a tofu Butter (not) chicken curry the other day & had some.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:32 pm Kidney beans and Chick peas work well also , I use no more than half mince these days.. Chick peas are great (I know kidney beans are a bit 'marmite' but i love 'em)
Have been known to bulk out minced beef with mushrooms. Not sure whether that saves money or not, but goes well together - although don't tell any Italians that I use mushrooms when cooking a beef ragu sauce.. :winker:
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

I bulk out my mince with extra mince :smiler:
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Just chuck a tin of baked beans in the mince
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Tenbury wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:27 pm My eldest daughter (final Yr, Food Science degree) has been asked by the County Council to devise, and prepare on film, 6 to 10 recipes for their web page, suitable for families on a low budget. She was sharing a few ideas with me over the weekend,and I learnt a few interesting things :

© #Bumsnet 2023....
You can tell it's a nice area when a cost of living recipe is dauphinois lol.

The bulking out is good advice. Chickpeas are good instead of meat in a curry too. We do a sausage casserole with a tin of chopped tomatoes and a tin of Canellini beans. Cheap as chips and really nice.

Hope the videos go well. Ask her to try to not to do that thing they all seem to do of saying it's 50p a portion but not counting the cost of an entire jar of spice to use half a teaspoon.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I see my buildings and contents insurance renewal is up by 25% - anyone know if there’s a specific reason why or is it just the usual naked profiteering by the underwriters?
SammyLeeWasOffside

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:11 am I see my buildings and contents insurance renewal is up by 25% - anyone know if there’s a specific reason why or is it just the usual naked profiteering by the underwriters?
Who are you with? Just renewed ours and it was down on last year.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:13 am Who are you with? Just renewed ours and it was down on last year.
AXA but even the meercats and fat welsh singer are quoting me much higher numbers.
SammyLeeWasOffside

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:16 am AXA but even the meercats and fat welsh singer are quoting me much higher numbers.
Must be the extension and new swimming pool you put in lol
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

You done well Sammy, everyone I know from personal & business are seeing increases from 15 to 40%.

Apparently, lots more claims over the last 12 to 18 months, plus business costs have risen significantly as we all know, add in Ukraine conflict for business Insurance due to the supply chain problems all adds to the flavour.....
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

My car and home insurance both went down in October. Direct Line, I think, if that's any use to anyone.