Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by mumbles87 »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:12 pm Haven't been since Jubilee w/end but at the derv was about 3p cheaper than tescos. The queues were manic however.

My station has 1 member of staff and 1 ticket machine. Often the ticket machine isn't working. Also ticket machines are not good at explaining the myriad of ticket options available.

Also Ive checked Google Play and there is no app that can go and give first aid to a torso and severed limbs as well as keep several hundred school children away from the scene. That was last Tuesday. The second jumper of the year. Same guy attended 4 last year. But maybe you are onto something Jim and we could write an app
People don't understand the work (mentally and physically) that goes into managing a one under

The boots on the ground dealing with it , who do fantastic then those who have to deal with rest of the service making sure customers behind get dealt with (ie out of sections and not stalled for hours) and get a service going

Then have to get the service back to time

I personally would take my bit of the putting it back together over what that guy deals with .. hats off to him

He is the reason their out today and he deserves better
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Indeed. I know him pretty well as he used to do my garden, before running the station took all his time up. He said the union have been brilliant with the support they have provided him. PTSD counselling etc, more than those ********s at Abellio. As far as I'm concerned good on the union for helping their members out.

As much as I don't agree with striking, this goes beyond cost of living. I would say take the train service back into public ownership but with this lot???
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:48 pm Indeed. I know him pretty well as he used to do my garden, before running the station took all his time up. He said the union have been brilliant with the support they have provided him. PTSD counselling etc, more than those ********s at Abellio. As far as I'm concerned good on the union for helping their members out.

As much as I don't agree with striking, this goes beyond cost of living. I would say take the train service back into public ownership but with this lot???
It's a strong belief of mine. All public transport should be owned and operated by the public and any profit goes back into the network for upgrades

That's exactly what the tfl model is. Pre covid that's what it did with profits just ATM we can cover costs to run but not improve the network , hence the help needed

There is a place for unions and a place for new working

Problem is this gov

Under any other Tory gov I very much doubt it would have got this far

To reuse a few phrases

Shapps called out p&o for sacking workers and using agency staff but is fine with using them for strike breaking

The gov wants a high paid economy but don't ask for a payrise (I know inflation but still)

People need to support their unions and unions need to support their members as you say they work for them and the case you said is brilliant to hear

My union hasn't called me out so I will be in until they do

I don't agree with the rmts action on the tube today but national rail seems valid
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

what is the correct resolution for my monitor

When they put it like that makes a lot of sense
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:56 pm It's a strong belief of mine. All public transport should be owned and operated by the public and any profit goes back into the network for upgrades
I'll go one further and say that all the country's infrastructure should be publicly owned - the post office, the water companies, the electricity companies, the gas companies etc. Once they turn into cash cow for share-holders, it's the workforce and consumer who suffer. If every penny of profit was ploughed back into these industries, we'd be in a far better position as consumers in my opinion.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:48 pm I'll go one further and say that all the country's infrastructure should be publicly owned - the post office, the water companies, the electricity companies, the gas companies etc. Once they turn into cash cow for share-holders, it's the workforce and consumer who suffer. If every penny of profit was ploughed back into these industries, we'd be in a far better position as consumers in my opinion.
100% agree

They should be
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Rmt to meet network rail and train companies tomorrow

Let's hope the gov have given them the tools to end this now

It won't make a diff to lul dispute but the big one could end
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:48 pm I'll go one further and say that all the country's infrastructure should be publicly owned - the post office, the water companies, the electricity companies, the gas companies etc. Once they turn into cash cow for share-holders, it's the workforce and consumer who suffer. If every penny of profit was ploughed back into these industries, we'd be in a far better position as consumers in my opinion.
The problem with that though GCRO is it would only benefit the country as a whole, and not those poor Tory party MPs trying to flog off the nation’s assets to their chums in exchange for party donations and brown envelopes full of cash.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:53 pm 100% agree

They should be
Ditto, publicly owned, but privately run......
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

sendô wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:26 pm The problem with that though GCRO is it would only benefit the country as a whole, and not those poor Tory party MPs trying to flog off the nation’s assets to their chums in exchange for party donations and brown envelopes full of cash.
There's no way barring complete financial breakdown that any of those once nationalised industries are ever coming back into public ownership. Completely unaffordable for any future government.

Anyone here make a few quid being used as Mrs Thatchers governments conduit to put the public into the private ...I wouldn't blame anyone but it was a very crafty move by the government to pass the state utilities to their buddies.

* tin hat*
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

OFT wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:38 pm There's no way barring complete financial breakdown that any of those once nationalised industries are ever coming back into public ownership. Completely unaffordable for any future government.
If Labour had any b*llocks they'd be pushing that agenda - if not fully government owned then at least based on the TFL model.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Someone I know worked at a pumping station ran by one of the big regional water companies owned abroad (Australia from memory) said it was constantly on the verge of breaking down as despite them making massive profits the maintenance budget was cut every year. 2 out of the 3 main pumps out of action, etc.

I don't suppose if you are living in Australia you give a Wallabies arse if a few hundred pommies have their houses flooded with ****...
OFT

Post by OFT »

I don't think it's for the opposition to suggest the impossible GCRO.

It should never have happened but I genuinely can't see how it goes back to even part ownership. The Tories love a sell off and we the public fell for the quick buck then and undoubtedly would do so again.
Last edited by OFT on Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

OFT wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:21 pm With the greatest respect GCRO its not for the opposition to promote the impossible.
It should never have happened in the first place but there's no way back unless,as I said, some of these companies go to the wall and require a government bail out. Incidentally, that wasn't too popular when Gordon Brown 'saved' the banks.

Just wondering what else there is to 'sell off' as its a Tory mainstay, possibly the only one.
It annoys the **** out of me that the French can do it with the railways and run an efficient profitable service, without any foreign investors snooping around to see if they can make a quick buck out of it.

Personally I don't think the public would (and haven't) moaned when a rail company has had to be bailed out by the government. I think if you asked most people who use the service, they'd be all for nationalisation.
OFT

Post by OFT »

I've edited my post because I mucked the quote up :oops:
Bloody hell I'm having a mare here.
OFT

Post by OFT »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:26 pm It annoys the **** out of me that the French can do it with the railways and run an efficient profitable service, without any foreign investors snooping around to see if they can make a quick buck out of it.
Me too.

I was talking about privatisation in general but agree the whole Railways, buses etc. ,was the daftest of the lot
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Do french railways turn a profit?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:50 pm If Labour had any b*llocks they'd be pushing that agenda - if not fully government owned then at least based on the TFL model.
This for me was one of the most hilarious bits in covid

Tories attacking tfl saying it's poorly run and a bad this and that

Then brought the railways back in house and want th to be a tfl model

Thought it was poorly run?

Yeh off you pop shapps and bojo
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:54 pm Do french railways turn a profit?
They generally do, yes - but they had a loss in the last year before the pandemic, 2019, due to a massive strike that went on for months. Most of that profit is due to TGV/LGV network - they have much higher inter-city passenger numbers than us and much higher capacity too as they can use double deck coaches and longer trains - plus of course, their high-speed inter-city network is purpose built which reduces journey times massively and makes it more attractive.

Aside from HS1 and HS2 when it's completed, we don't have any High Speed running lines, and the rest of our infrastructure and signalling isn't fit for High Speed Trains. 125mph line running no longer fits the international definition of High Speed, plus the stops are too regular.

One thing the French do get right are the railways - but when we want to upgrade and build new lines, we get mountains of opposition and the projects derided as a waste of money - but if HS1 is a barometer, it's domestic services have run in profit since it's opening, and there's nothing to suggest that HS2 wouldn't do the same - but what is backwards, is the lack of high-speed connections between HS1 and HS2. Euston and St Pancras International are not far from each other, walking distance if you can be arsed and it's mental that the lines are not going to be linked.

The French HS network is linked in almost it's entirety, including being linked to HS1/CTRL.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

-DL- wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:29 am They generally do, yes
I don't know this stuff at all, certainly not how you do but don't they also have:
15 BN A year subsidy
3bn a year build up in SNCF debt despite the subsidy
35bn (of the 45bn total) SNCF debt taken on by taxpayers in 2017.
This despite a monopoly and state measures to disadvantage road freight.and coach services.

How does all that equate to be profitable?