Cost of living crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: Cost of living crisis

Post by mumbles87 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:01 pm Santander traditionally allowed you to agree a new fix 6 months before your existing one ended. When rates were going down. F***ers made me wait until I was 4 months away from my fix ending this time, which meant rates went up another .5% or so before I could get a new fix (3.14% for 7 years). C***s.
Looking at the rates 3.14 for 7 years doesn't seem too bad

I'm 4 years into a 10 year fix at 2.79, seemed high at the time but piece of mind , sees eldest into secondary school, gets twins out of car seats most likely so I get idea of what I can afford for the next stage of life
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:13 am Yeah, there's no substitute for paid-for services, at least in terms of quality & convenience, as well as usability. Fortunately, I've trained my family to use Kodi, which installs natively on my TVs and firesticks etc. so they're comfortable streaming movies off my video share. Internet & computer technology/security/privacy is my line of work, though, so I can understand it may not be for everyone.

Amazon Prime - I wouldn't pay for the TV service if it wasn't bundled with the free delivery package, and like most of us (I'd guess) I rarely bother with any of their content.

PC's are dead handy as media downloader/streamers, though. Don't need anything too powerful either - any old laptop from the past 10 years (with 8GB RAM at least) should be fine running win10, and then you've got the lot - browsers, torrent clients, file sharing. Even more handy if they've got HDMI out, so you can plug them into a TV and use them with a wireless keyboard & mouse. I have several hidden away round our home for various purposes, and the ones I don't need to physically access, I just connect to via a remote desktop tool such as TeamViewer or Terminal Services, depending on what I'm doing. Handy for being able to access them away from home, even using a client on your phone can be useful if you need to access something in an emergency.

They're also brilliant for old skool video gaming, with plenty of perfectly usable tools like RetroArch for playing old arcade games & console games up to the 32-bit era. Emulation's a bit of an interest of mine, and they've come a LONG way in the last 25 years or so.
Is all this easy enough to do? I am obviously not an IT person but I'm alright at setting things or tinkering if I've got the know how.
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by screech »

sendô wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:35 am I hear it can be done for a bullseye. Allegedly.

It amazes me how many people are still giving sky near on a ton a month to watch tele and think they're getting a good deal.
Never pay to have a firestick modified, it's a simple process that takes 2 mins of your time just changing a few settings, the instructions are all over the internet, i've used firesticks for years but only in the last few weeks i have entered the world of IPTV and its a game changer!
£45 a year subscription for roughly 11,000 channels plus live sports, latest movies etc all streamed in HD and play instantly. no buffering like Kodi.
The one i am using at the moment is set up to look like sky and it's unreal.
I currently pay £102 a month with Virgin but my contract has expired, now i'm on the lookout for a decent broadband deal to run the house as normal and get rid of Virgin full stop. saving over £1k a year.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Went to Prezzo for the youngest ones birthday earlier in the week. Kids enjoy it and was a good little deal on 3 courses for them from their childrens menu. Two kids meals, a main each for me and the missus and a beer and soft drinks normally set me back £45. This time it was £75 with every single portion smaller in size; in some cases massively so.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

screech wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:21 am Never pay to have a firestick modified, it's a simple process that takes 2 mins of your time just changing a few settings, the instructions are all over the internet, i've used firesticks for years but only in the last few weeks i have entered the world of IPTV and its a game changer!
£45 a year subscription for roughly 11,000 channels plus live sports, latest movies etc all streamed in HD and play instantly. no buffering like Kodi.
The one i am using at the moment is set up to look like sky and it's unreal.
Yeah, that's what I've got.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Interest rates close to 6% within a year - https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/b ... 2f9737d3cd
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

11,000 channels and I bet there’s still nothing on!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

as people tighten the old belt just looking out the window at 2 professions that will suffer.. our window cleaner (we wont stop him but im sure people will) over the back having the gardener in.. how many will cut back on that. people with cleaners etc etc

they will take a huge hit
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:41 am as people tighten the old belt just looking out the window at 2 professions that will suffer.. our window cleaner (we wont stop him but im sure people will) over the back having the gardener in.. how many will cut back on that. people with cleaners etc etc

I take it that the driver and nanny are safe then? :winker:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:00 pm I take it that the driver and nanny are safe then? :winker:
ah yes jeeves and hilary are like part of the family..
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by screech »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:11 am 11,000 channels and I bet there’s still nothing on!
Mate it's unreal, they have a channel selection called 24/7 that just plays shows with no adverts, as soon as one finishes its straight into the next one, theres tons in there alone to keep you busy. i've found myself watching a lot of the documentary section as well, i never done that with normal tv for some weird reason.
Also if you cant find anything on the uk section you can scroll through the us channels etc or watch one of the latest movies thats in the cinemas.
very impressed with it's stability and choice especially for the price.
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by daytimedave »

ChzMff wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:13 pm Went to Prezzo for the youngest ones birthday earlier in the week. Kids enjoy it and was a good little deal on 3 courses for them from their childrens menu. Two kids meals, a main each for me and the missus and a beer and soft drinks normally set me back £45. This time it was £75 with every single portion smaller in size; in some cases massively so.
i find eating out an expensive gamble , and in many cases over-rated and over priced ,
just going to a pub these days,the price of a pint makes me shudder !
beer deals from the supermarket and take-aways for me , my local curry house do 20% discount online
and tesco beer prices suit me fine .
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

daytimedave wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:49 pm i find eating out an expensive gamble , and in many cases over-rated and over priced ,
just going to a pub these days,the price of a pint makes me shudder !
beer deals from the supermarket and take-aways for me , my local curry house do 20% discount online
and tesco beer prices suit me fine .
I paid £9.30 for 3 pints in Brentwood on Saturday. Sadly couldn't stick around for more than one round but they're going to need a restraining order to keep me out of the place now.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:58 pm I paid £9.30 for 3 pints in Brentwood on Saturday. Sadly couldn't stick around for more than one round but they're going to need a restraining order to keep me out of the place now.
It's only right that you are doing everything in your power to support the threatened hospitality sector
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:58 pm I paid £9.30 for 3 pints in Brentwood on Saturday. Sadly couldn't stick around for more than one round but they're going to need a restraining order to keep me out of the place now.
Bloody hell where’s that?? Sounds like somewhere to go when escaping….I mean, visiting the in laws
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Loftyhammer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:16 pm Bloody hell where’s that?? Sounds like somewhere to go when escaping….I mean, visiting the in laws
I would be keeping that little nugget to myself, if I were him..

:D
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

S-H wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:17 pm I would be keeping that little nugget to myself, if I were him..

:D
Shhhhh…. :lol:
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Loftyhammer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:16 pm Bloody hell where’s that?? Sounds like somewhere to go when escaping….I mean, visiting the in laws
Brewery Tap. Far enough off the high street that I would imagine it only ever gets busy with locals and not people looking to live out a TOWIE fantasy on the high street.

Nice little beer garden as well though probably irrelevant for the next 8 months.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:41 am as people tighten the old belt just looking out the window at 2 professions that will suffer.. our window cleaner (we wont stop him but im sure people will) over the back having the gardener in.. how many will cut back on that. people with cleaners etc etc

It's funny you post that, I was just considering getting a window cleaner in
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Took the family out for a curry on Friday. Five of us, set me back £190.

Now we didn't scrimp, and we took enough home in doggy bags for a meal the next day, but I won't be rushing back again in a hurry.