The KUMB bits 'n' pieces & off-topic thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

blahblahblah
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 237 likes

Re: The KUMB bits 'n' pieces & off-topic thread

Post by blahblahblah »

I started watching the Welcome to Wrexham documentary last week. I wonder how they'll handle this story.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Premier League: Scrapping FA Cup replays on agenda
Premier League clubs will discuss permanently scrapping FA Cup replays at a meeting on Wednesday.

Talks will also take place over major changes to the EFL Cup as part of the 'New Deal For Football' talks.

Neither cup is run by the Premier League so it would have to approach the FA and EFL about any potential changes.

Clubs are concerned by the increased strain on an already packed calendar that Uefa's Champions League expansion will create from 2024.

FA Cup replays were scrapped in the 2020-21 season to help with the fixture backlog caused by Covid-19.

They were also scrapped for the third and fourth round last season.

Neither the Football Association nor the English Football League have offered any formal response to the prospect of their flagship competitions being altered and it is understood discussions between them and the Premier League are yet to take place.

more...
thoughts?
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1373 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

I'm sure it'll happen but there was something special about holding a big club to a draw at your place and then getting to play at a famous stadium (not to mention the money involved).
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 4751 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I'm not sure if this is better or worse for clubs down the pyramid.

On the one hand it surely increases their chances of making it through to further rounds, but eradicates the chance of a money spinning replay.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Kidderminster were 2 minutes away from the biggest cup shock in the FA Cup’s history last season.

If you want shocks and drama, finishing the tie in one game increases that chance.

What the FA Cup really needs is more prize money redistributed in the lower rounds to ensure there’s an incentive for smaller sides making the effort to qualify for it.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 4751 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:54 pm Kidderminster were 2 minutes away from the biggest cup shock in the FA Cup’s history last season.

If you want shocks and drama, finishing the tie in one game increases that chance.

What the FA Cup really needs is more prize money redistributed in the lower rounds to ensure there’s an incentive for smaller sides making the effort to qualify for it.
But financially would it have been better for them to come to the London Stadium for a replay or go through to the next round?
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 222 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:34 pm But financially would it have been better for them to come to the London Stadium for a replay or go through to the next round?
Wouldn't they have been able to switch the tie to LS anyway, if it was about gate money?
Would they get more from an away replay (likely mid-week?) or from progressing to the next round and potentially (increasingly likely as the rounds progress) getting a big tie again, and even at home?
Progressing gets the club more exposure and encourages the fans to turn up to other league and cup matches. Plus the merchadise sales.
As Kidderminster were challenging for promotion, a good cup run would have really made the locals notice them and want to get behind them.
I think all fans would want a good cup run and a giant-killing!
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1233 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Don't know about other fans, but I can tell you with certainty that the Harriers fans would have chosen a day out @the Bowl over just about anything. (they knew if they'd have won they could have come up against some crap team and still gone out.)
It wouldn't have mattered to them if the game was played at 4.30 on a Wet Sunday, they'd have emptied the town.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Good to see Psycho Cross at Lords' today supporting his daughter. Kate. Just a pity the team are having such a nightmare.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

You’ve all got to see Tony Adams on Strictly. He’s so bad that I want to see more of it.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

hammers92 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:28 pm You’ve all got to see Tony Adams on Strictly. He’s so bad that I want to see more of it.
Enjoy……
ludo22
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by ludo22 »

Apologies if this is a much-asked question but my 12 year old wants a West Ham shirt with her name on the back and Number 16 (Good lass!) and was just wondering where the best place to buy them is without having to take out a second mortgage.Any help would be much appreciated.Thx.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:33 pm Good to see Psycho Cross at Lords' today supporting his daughter. Kate. Just a pity the team are having such a nightmare.
She was in fine form..
OFT
Has liked: 3245 likes
Total likes: 1855 likes

Post by OFT »

hammers92 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:28 pm You’ve all got to see Tony Adams on Strictly. He’s so bad that I want to see more of it.
At one point I feared for Katyas ankles.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1373 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Don’t forget everybody, it’s Steve Ogrizovic Appreciation Day again next Tuesday.
Odessa
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

ludo22 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:43 am Apologies if this is a much-asked question but my 12 year old wants a West Ham shirt with her name on the back and Number 16 (Good lass!) and was just wondering where the best place to buy them is without having to take out a second mortgage.Any help would be much appreciated.Thx.
Possibly DH Gate. A Chinese site I believe.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2020 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Taken from 1994 about how football would go within 10 years. Were they right or wrong?

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:34 pm She was in fine form..
She was. Just a pity the match ending with a gross instance of unsporting behaviour. But well within the laws, of course...
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Cricket has had decades to change the rule but has chosen not to. Batsmen (batpeople?) have enough advantages under the rules already without being able to effectively take short runs without risk. How about if the batperson leaves the crease before the ball leaves the bowler's hand the run is short and doesn't count.
Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:16 pm Cricket has had decades to change the rule but has chosen not to. Batsmen (batpeople?) have enough advantages under the rules already without being able to effectively take short runs without risk. How about if the batperson leaves the crease before the ball leaves the bowler's hand the run is short and doesn't count.
As I said, it's within the rules. But the way it was done was very sneaky and ruined a great game. I am sure Goswami wouldn't have wanted her final match to end with boos.

Anyway, I was just reading an interview with David and Kate Cross in which he talks about his love of cricket. Four years old but worth a read.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/crick ... egend.html