How Do You See The League Shaping Up?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4382 likes

Re: How Do You See The League Shaping Up?

Post by bubbles1966 »

Man U's next game is Liverpool who will probably rinse them.

Lose that and their form over their last 19 games (half season) will be W5 D 5 L 9 - 20 points.

A 40 point season.

They are in so much disarray that it's barely imaginable. They will probably plough on with the current situation up to the late September international break and then sack Ten Hag.

There will be a top 5, and then two teams excluding Man Utd will pick up two european places.

I'd watch Brighton closely. If they can just find a goalscorer....
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 800 likes
Total likes: 3015 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Man City
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
West Ham United
Newcastle
Brighton
Leicester
Man United
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Man U will still come top 6
I will donate £50 to BMF if they don't

Us, Brighton and Newcaslte competing for 7th-9th
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Brighton have been a goalscorer away from achieving something for three seasons.

I'm starting to think it's Potter's system that creates low level chances rather than a lack of goalscorer.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4382 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:59 am Man U will still come top 6
They have huge problems with their identity and belief - the kind that can't be resolved by keeping the same players, especially when some of those players - well, Ronaldo - are used to so much better.

Their supporters are actually talking about relegation. No nonsense about winning the CL or PL , but actually going down. Obviously, they won't, though I've seen it happen to them before ( :lol: ) but their whole set up is rotten. It's like a really bad, old style, Newcastle. Or Lumpy's Everton.

They look midtable unless the guy in charge learns very swiftly and the numpties in charge act decisively, something they have failed to do repeatedly.

They have not only lost to Brentford and Brighton, but they have been comprehensively outplayed in the process. That's the kicker. It isn't like they've missed a hatful, opposition keeper has had a blinder - they were lucky to only lose by a 6-1 aggregate.

If Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea have all had 8th-10ths in them in the last six/seven years, then this Man U team definitely does because it has so many players that are that standard.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Very early doors but I expect Newcastle to be competing for 6-8 this season and Brentford and Brighton to also be there or there abouts for 8-10 with Man U.

Leicester and Saints to go backwards. Villa to stagnate.

We have the possibility of finishing anywhere from 4-10 and it really does depend on how the new players get on as well as our remaining bit of transfer business in the next 2 and half weeks.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

I think Man City will walk it. I think Liverpool might be closer to Spurs and Chelsea than they will be to Man City.

Based on the first couple of games I think Everton will be fine and actually have recruited some decent players.

Leeds, Forest, Soton, Bournemouth and Fulham will battle it out for survival.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

City
Arsenal
Spurs
Liverpool
Chelsea
And so on

Not sure yet about the rest
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

Man City already look a step ahead of everyone else. I think Spurs and Arsenal will be closer to Liverpool. Chelsea are very much there for the taking. Man Utd are in disarray.

A West Ham team that finishes it’s transfer business promptly by getting a good LB and another midfielder has realistic aspirations of 5th/6th.
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Back to the good old days. Lose when we shouldn't, plucky West Ham, might stay up, might go down.

I could care less about anyone else, but not a lot.
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1518 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Brighton and Villa games feel season defining already
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

We don't beat Brighton lucky man utd have Liverpool or we would be bottom next week.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

We will be about 15th imo.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

5 games in and the league is arguably already starting to take shape. 5 of last season’s top 6 are already there. Brighton, who were already a decent team last season have started off well. A lot of the teams many anticipated to struggle currently are.

I didn’t expect Liverpool to be that many points off the top already. Leeds, Fulham and Southampton at 7th, 8th and 9th respectively is debatably the biggest head scratcher so far. And I thought Wolves would do better than what they currently are.

Even though I personally still think we’ll finish somewhere around 8th-10th, I don’t know about anyone else, but does anyone think the tough set of fixtures we have been dished out for the opening 2 months of the season may, dare I say it, be a blessing?

We have signed so many new players and as Moyes has to merge a few of them slowly over time into regular starting 11 players, and may of course have to tweak our style of play a little to fit those players in, it may just help giving them time to settle in fixtures that we aren’t expected to get too many points from. That way, by the time they settle down and we play fixtures against teams more mid table to lower down, we’ll hopefully then be raring to go.

The new players will certainly learn an awful lot playing against some of the best teams in the League, if not the best in Man City’s case. The only game we arguably really did drop points was Nottingham Forest. We really should have picked up 3 points from that one and that is the type of team you need to pick up maximum points from if you want to compete at the top. The defeats against the likes of Man City and Brighton can happen to any team, let alone ourselves.
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:01 am 5 games in and the league is arguably already starting to take shape. 5 of last season’s top 6 are already there. Brighton, who were already a decent team last season have started off well. A lot of the teams many anticipated to struggle currently are.

I didn’t expect Liverpool to be that many points off the top already. Leeds, Fulham and Southampton at 7th, 8th and 9th respectively is debatably the biggest head scratcher so far. And I thought Wolves would do better than what they currently are.

Even though I personally still think we’ll finish somewhere around 8th-10th, I don’t know about anyone else, but does anyone think the tough set of fixtures we have been dished out for the opening 2 months of the season may, dare I say it, be a blessing?

We have signed so many new players and as Moyes has to merge a few of them slowly over time into regular starting 11 players, and may of course have to tweak our style of play a little to fit those players in, it may just help giving them time to settle in fixtures that we aren’t expected to get too many points from. That way, by the time they settle down and we play fixtures against teams more mid table to lower down, we’ll hopefully then be raring to go.

The new players will certainly learn an awful lot playing against some of the best teams in the League, if not the best in Man City’s case. The only game we arguably really did drop points was Nottingham Forest. We really should have picked up 3 points from that one and that is the type of team you need to pick up maximum points from if you want to compete at the top. The defeats against the likes of Man City and Brighton can happen to any team, let alone ourselves.
Agree with this, although when I factor in the usual Should've/could've points earned I make us a minimum of 5 points less than what I'd expect. As you say, 3 from Forrest away (And it really should've been, bad dice that one) and that's my should've. I also add the 2 - 3 points which we could've from the Brighton and Spurs home games, e.g. at least a draw from Brighton, Bogey team or not and the "If only" from Spurs at home, I reckon Scammacca would've burried at least one of those chances in the last 15 mins.

I'll finally confirm that I've already got my coat by suggesting that we definately need something from Chelsea to start to make up for those dropped points as we're still too close to the bottom.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:59 pm Regarding top four and bottom four I agree with the vast majority on kumb.
However, I disagree with some regarding the middle group. I suspect Leicester will struggle. They are losing some key players, and Vardy is nearly fifty surely?
I live out that way now and the natives are anxious. Once the slide sets in they are not likely to reverse it. Rodgers gone by Christmas is a good bet.
I like the club, but their golden era is over.
Maddison will be a January exit to top four club to plug a key hole left by an unexpected injury.
Should get good odds on all that complexity.
🥸
In case you are wondering, I went big with my bet and I’m looking good for a free meal off Nurse.
Now Rodgers has started slagging owners, he’s doomed [Parker doesn’t like this post].
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Bookies have us 10/11 for a top half and a bottom half finish so they’re basically saying we’ll finish 10th.

9/1 top 6, 33/1 top 4 and 16/1 to go down.

All of the above points to what should be a rollercoaster season and something the glory hunters and football tourists will never appreciate.
Sead Hakšabanović

Post by Sead Hakšabanović »

Man City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs
Man United
Arsenal
West Ham United
Newcastle
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

Sead Hakšabanović wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:16 am Man City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs
Man United
Arsenal
West Ham United
Newcastle
Sadly, I don't see Arsenal (Or Man Utd) being outside of the top 4. I know they've both got Europe to deal with but I thinks they've both recruited sufficiently to deal with this. Chelsea are the ones who I think could be in for a shocker of a season.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Not exactly Mystic Meg but we will come 7th-9th