How Do You See The League Shaping Up?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Re: How Do You See The League Shaping Up?

Post by Kermit »

dodger wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:31 pm Out of interest why do you think Newcastle will finish above us? I know they have some money now, but they've only made one first-11-improving signing in Botman.

Reckon we are still quite a bit of ahead of them.
Can't disagree with you. Your Botman , we raise you a Scamacca.

Pope's a decent signing , but imo Dubravka was already a decent keeper for them. Imo their best business was done in January when they bought in Guimaraes. And they've done well to hold onto Saint-Maximin.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:21 am Yet Leicester were a model club seasons back. They need new owners.
Out of interest as a neutral, may I ask where you see us finishing mate? I always like to gauge what other fans think. Sorry if you already have.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'm kinda settled on a top 5 - Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal.

I cannot see Man U in the top 6. I think they may have put their version of Christian Gross in charge. I think Newcastle might sneak in.

I also think a couple of promoted sides will survive. Not Forest though. People now briefing against Ralphie at Southampton, so that won't end well. Think Palace and Villa may have tougher seasons.

Everton will be grim and boring.

As for us? we just don't seem ready.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I reckon we are in a bit of bother - lots going to depend on players we’ve not seen play playing well. Otherwise the same players that we ran into the ground are going to be expected to put a shift in again and I’m not 100% sure the desire is still there. Spark seems missing. Hopefully a good win will get our mojo back but at the moment - pissflaps.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

If we have a great defensive / resilient season we'll have a season similar to the 20/21.
Scoring goals won't be an issue. it will be keeping them out.
Can't stress this enough.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Same old, same old unfortunately. Same top 6, shuffle the pack 7-12.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Had to laugh. O'Hara and Cundy tonight debating the upcoming Chelsea vs Spurs game (paraphrased).

O'Hara:- "Spurs have won the transfer window" + "We'll be the one team chasing down Liverpool and Man City".
Cundy:- "Here we go again, typical Spurs..you should change your club motto to 'All fart and no poo'. Loads of noise but no end product".
O'Hara:- "It's different this time...Spurs are gonna make a mark this season".
Cundy:- "The only mark you'll make this season will be a skid mark".
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Ex-Spurs player Cundy is that?
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Vic_Watson wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:42 pm Ex-Spurs player Cundy is that?
Yeah...but he's very much a Chelsea nut. Works on Chelsea TV for their games. Hates any other English club winning anything..ever. O'Hara is the same for Spurs. Definitely a nut too. He's the usual "Oh but this time we're gonna smash everybody". Says it every season. He might be a little less deluded this season though (unfortunately).
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Tbh I've written off the league. Our best hope is to win the conference cup and that would get us back into the Europa league. The conference won't be easy to win but, imo, gives us our best chance of Europe again next season.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Kermit wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:45 am Tbh I've written off the league. Our best hope is to win the conference cup and that would get us back into the Europa league. The conference won't be easy to win but, imo, gives us our best chance of Europe again next season.
You could be right. It could be a season mirroring Eintracht Frankfurt, whom whilst decimated by injuries, still managed to fight their way to lift the Europa trophy.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

I’d be OK with that also.

Just really don’t see Yanited doing enough to get Top 4, and may fall out of Top 6 too with any luck.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

The league is boring with city on course to buy it , sorry win it again ! Then Liverpool Chelsea spurs arsenal
. 6th is up for grabs between us , manure and Newcastle maybe .
Hopefully we can get 6th and win the euro farmers league ending 43 years of hurt . A great season if so !
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Kermit wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:45 am Tbh I've written off the league.
After one match against the team that have won the league after three of the last four season?
:eh:
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I can see it being bit of a frustrating season for us, as we'll drop a lot of points in games we could’ve picked something up, but didn’t because our defence is so cr*p. A few ‘what if’ games.

I don’t think we’ll go backwards dramatically. I am thinking it’ll be more like the season Leicester and Wolves had last season.

It won’t just be down to our defence being rubbish, it’ll also be down to the fact we’ll make so many signings to replace too many ageing players that we are kind of starting again. Going through a transitional period so to speak. Moyes has even hinted in recent interviews we may go backwards to hopefully go forward in the seasons beyond this one. He knows it’s going to be tough.

My biggest concern with Moyes is I am not sure if he is ruthless enough to drop out of form players. It was almost criminal how Fab and Cresswell never lost their place towards the end of last season. And that’s coming from someone who likes both players and appreciates what they’ve done for the club! The managers at the clubs competing right at the top are ruthless enough to drop players who don’t perform on a regular basis. When Karius made costly mistakes at Liverpool in European competitions for example Klopp went out and signed a new goalkeeper straightaway and I don’t believe Karius ever played again. Cresswell has another shocker in the Europa League and then starts 2-3 days later at Norwich! :?:

Time will tell how good Scamacca and Cornet are. But we have at least tried our best to breath new life into an attack that has done brilliantly in the last 2 seasons. But was even itself starting to look a bit stale towards the end of last season.

My only real disappointment with the transfer window this summer is I don’t think we’ve done anywhere near enough to improve on our weakness at the back. That really should have been number 1 priority. Whether Aguerd will be a good signing remains to be seen. He had a far from unconvincing 20 odd minutes at Rangers. But it’s unfair for me to judge him on 1 performance. Winston Reid’s debut at Villa springs to mind. Aguerd got injured weeks ago and we still haven’t brought in a replacement. Even after we sold Diop. And as much as I love Oggy the decision to offer him a new contract is looking baffling with every passing week.

Equally we lost Masuaku and still haven’t brought in a left back to compete or even push Cresswell out of the team.

At this moment in time I am thinking a finish around 8th-10th. However 2-3 signings to strengthen us defensively, plus Moyes dropping more underperforming players and I may change my mind.

I really do fancy us to have at least 1 good cup run again though.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 423 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

1st - Man City/Liverpool
3rd - Chelsea/Spurs
5th - Arsenal/Newcastle
7th - ManU/WHU
9th - Villa/Brighton

Can't be arsed with the rest.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:21 am Out of interest as a neutral, may I ask where you see us finishing mate? I always like to gauge what other fans think. Sorry if you already have.
8th.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Customary for one promoted side to have a solid season and I hope it’s Bournemouth for Scott. Equally, there’s usually one unexpected managerial departure early on and whilst looking like Ralph I wouldn’t be surprised for a left-field casualty, maybe the guy at Wolves if they start poorly, or even Rodgers walking out.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Kermit wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:45 pm
Tbh I've written off the league.
dodger wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:57 am After one match against the team that have won the league after three of the last four season?
:eh:
No. Based on our performances from December last year after we beat Chelsea. And the fact that, although we have now brought in a proper striker, we still haven't sufficient quality to provide him with enough bullets imo. Fornals seems to have lost his mojo, possibly because of being utilised in large part as a baby sitter to shore up a weak defensive left side.