How Do You See The League Shaping Up?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Re: How Do You See The League Shaping Up?

Post by sendô »

Yeah there's been nothing done by either of them thus far to suggest they'll improve at all on how they finished last season.

Man Utd in particular need a massive overhaul.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Whilst delighted to sign one of the best young players around, Haaland will need to adapt because City won’t do that for him. Grealish got something similar.

I’d like to retain the Premier League and have another good go at the Champions League. It’s such a tight competition.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

man city
spurs
liverpool
chelsea
arsenal
west ham
man utd
Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by Kermit »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:56 pm Whilst delighted to sign one of the best young players around, Haaland will need to adapt because City won’t do that for him. Grealish got something similar.

I’d like to retain the Premier League and have another good go at the Champions League. It’s such a tight competition.
Could be because at Villa Grealish was the big fish in a small pond and loved the adulation. From what I've seen and read of Haaland he doesn't have an ego the size of a small planet which will probably make it much easier for him to become part of the preferred starting eleven.

But I think he should be rested for the first game if the season. :wink:
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Liverpool's trophies last season were pathetic. Three finals and they didn't score one goal from open play.

I think Chelsea's new ownership will back the manager to win the fans over.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:38 pm Liverpool's trophies last season were pathetic. Three finals and they didn't score one goal from open play.

I think Chelsea's new ownership will back the manager to win the fans over.
Liverpool must have won more trophies than any other club when not actually winning a game of football. Without trawling through the record books I can immediately recall the 2006 F A Cup final, the Champions League final against A C Milan (3-3), and of course last season's two.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

The gaffer in one of my locals is a huge Liverpool fan and did free drink vouchers if they won each cup final. I went in, got my voucher, left before kick off and returned at final whistle for a free drink.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4276 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

At the top? Who cares? Same old. Sportswashing oil club who won the league just bought the best striker. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:40 pm My early impression is that both Chelsea and Man U are going to be there for the taking.

Both appear to be a chaotic mess.
I agree, but the opposite might apply to both our North London neighbours.

A lot will depend, imo, on the CBs Chelsea opt for, in the re-build.

Having reflected on Old Trafford, I am beginning to think that this new coach is likely to need at least a season to instil his own coaching ethics.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I don’t think it matters in the grand scheme of things where Ten Hag finishes this season. He’s going to need at least one season minimum to start getting his own players and ideas across.

Good news for all of us peasants is there’s another great chance to go and get top 6 again.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:35 pm I don’t think it matters in the grand scheme of things where Ten Hag finishes this season. He’s going to need at least one season minimum to start getting his own players and ideas across.

Good news for all of us peasants is there’s another great chance to go and get top 6 again.
I think Man Utd are nailed on for top four. They have too many good players and now have a good coach.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:04 pm I think Man Utd are nailed on for top four. They have too many good players and now have a good coach.
Last year I’d have agreed (except for the good coach bit).

Ronaldo is another year older and Ten Hag likes to play with a press from the front, will be interesting to see how he uses him.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4400 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:31 pm I agree, but the opposite might apply to both our North London neighbours.

A lot will depend, imo, on the CBs Chelsea opt for, in the re-build.

Having reflected on Old Trafford, I am beginning to think that this new coach is likely to need at least a season to instil his own coaching ethics.
Tend to agree.

I think Spurs are the club most likely to chase Liverpool and Man City; no matter what their failings are elsewhere, they have one of the best front pairings in Europe.

Arsenal may benefit purely from being out of transition, whereas Man U and Chelsea have significant problems with managerial/boardroom change and both have lost significant players for nothing. Both have bought poorly relative to spend for years.

It isn't hard to imagine discontent quickly seeping in at both those clubs. Chelsea's list of targets isn't a title-challenging list and Man U look likely to embark on another coaching and recruitment convulsion.

I think being in the conference, as opposed to the Europa, might actually make it easier for us to focus on the league for longer this year.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

hammers92 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 pm Last year I’d have agreed (except for the good coach bit).

Ronaldo is another year older and Ten Hag likes to play with a press from the front, will be interesting to see how he uses him.
Or doesn't! I think Ronaldo may have actually been a bit of a scapegoat last season, to be honest. He's pure quality.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:19 pm At the top? Who cares? Same old. Sportswashing oil club who won the league just bought the best striker. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist.
It's a long old season. We still needed to put a team together with that money and are yet to win the Champions League. U****d, Liverpool and Chelsea have all lifted it within recent memory.

I think we'll get top two as there's too many rebuilds going on elsewhere to provide competition.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:38 pm Liverpool's trophies last season were pathetic. Three finals and they didn't score one goal from open play.

I would be quite happy for us to get to 3 finals in one season, winning 2 of them without scoring. 🤪
Surrey Supporter
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Surrey Supporter »

With their new owner taking a very much hands on approach, without hopefully understanding how the English league works, I do so hope that Chavski fail big time this season and we can push on and get at least a Europa place and who knows even better with the turmoil of manure and Chavski.

COYI

:scarfer:
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Surrey Supporter wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:41 pm With their new owner taking a very much hands on approach, without hopefully understanding how the English league works, I do so hope that Chavski fail big time this season and we can push on and get at least a Europa place and who knows even better with the turmoil of manure and Chavski.
They could both go either way imo. My personal view is that Chelsea will have a decent season and will be slugging it out with our friends from N17 for third place. Man United are a difficult one to predict imo. At the moment they look as if once again they'll be very reliant on Ronaldo scoring the goals for them and no one knows how long he can carry on doing so. If Ten Hag has the impact they hope they certainly have enough quality to make a challenge for top 4 but if he struggles to get the whole squad onside they could implode. Don't see them outside Top 7 though.

Which I guess leaves us competing with Arsenal and anyone else, Newcastle being the obvious candidates, who make a serious effort to break through into the European spots. I think anyone who thinks we can mount a serious top 4 challenge needs to take more water with their scotch but imo we're still going to be in or around the European places and, hopefully, can have a decent shot at the Conference Cup.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I've been thinking about this one. A few saying City will run away with the league this season. We won it on the last day recovering from a two goal deficit v Villa. Liverpool tailed us all the way and won both domestic cups.

You need that bit of luck too. The win at Southampton or Palace beating you at home. This is what gives titles.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4400 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Leeds and Everton were lucky to survive last year and are losing their best players. They have that sort of haunted look about them that we know so well from that five years or so after the 2006 cup final.