How Do You See The League Shaping Up?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Re: How Do You See The League Shaping Up?

Post by Kermit »

honkytonk wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:49 am Im surprised so many think Newcastle will do well. I think Howe could be an outsider for first sacking tbh
Depends on how we define "doing well" I guess. Like us Newcastle have been permanent under achievers over the last four decades, and like us have been up and down more often than the proverbial tart's knickers. So I reckon they'd be happy to be in a position where they are challenging for Top 7. Anything less than that, given they've added quite a few names to their squad, would, I think, be seen as failure and, as you say, Howe could then be a candidate for the chop.

One must hope he wouldn't be taken to Riyadh for the chopping ceremony as that term seems to have a different meaning over there.
Last edited by Kermit on Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by GALF »

I’ll refrain from a predicted league standings attempt until the window closes but I would expect, based on how things are shaping up right now, that:

Man City, Liverpool and Spurs make up the top 3. Probably in that order.

Fulham, Bournemouth, Forest, Saints, Brentford and Leeds battle it out to stay in the league,
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:17 am I think people having us in the top 6 is extremely generous considering the amount of work that needs doing to the squad.

Ask me in August but if it’s right now, no way.
Yh, really hard to make too many predictions about anyone atm. Other than the top 2, though suppose we have to wait on what Chelsea do.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Hard to see past Man City and Liverpool as the top two again. I can see Man City winning the title and also the UCL at long last.

I fear that Spurs may be the best of the rest. Conte has done a fantastic job there (considering the mess he inherited) and as long as the chairman doesn't reach for the self destruct button they could go well this season. I still think they will be some way off the top two though.

Chelsea and Arsenal will be tough to split and I'd expect to see them battle it out for the final UCL spot. That is of course unless Man Utd, who are a complete unknown, come good. With a decent manager and an attitude overhaul they could easily find themselves in that race for 4th, likewise they could end up 6th with another 'transitional' season. I don't see them slipping any lower sadly.

We will have a tough enough job on our hands keeping pace with the top 6 and 7th certainly won't be a bad season. I'd say that is becoming par for us and we need one of those mentioned above to under perform if we are going to finish any higher.

Newcastle will no doubt improve and be knocking on the door of top 8, but I don't think they are there yet. Leicester and Wolves are going to be decent but and also in that top 8 picture.

---

Man City and Liverpool for top two.
Spurs comfortable in 3rd.
Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd in a battle for 4th.
West Ham comfortable in 7th.
Leicester, Newcastle and Wolves fighting out for 8th 9th and 10th.
Southampton, Villa, Everton, Brighton and Palace will all be safe in mid table.
Fulham, Bournemouth, Brentford, Leeds and Forest are my bottom five. In that order too (Fulham bottom).
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:41 pm I fear that Spurs may be the best of the rest. Conte has done a fantastic job there (considering the mess he inherited) and as long as the chairman doesn't reach for the self destruct button they could go well this season. I still think they will be some way off the top two though.

Chelsea and Arsenal will be tough to split and I'd expect to see them battle it out for the final UCL spot. That is of course unless Man Utd, who are a complete unknown, come good. With a decent manager and an attitude overhaul they could easily find themselves in that race for 4th, likewise they could end up 6th with another 'transitional' season. I don't see them slipping any lower sadly.

I find it interesting that so many see Chelsea and Spurs as being ahead of Man Utd. I think a lot of people are underestimating a badly managed squad. With Liverpool losing Mane as well I think the only thing I can say with any certainty is City are going to run away with it.

I think there is opportunity for Man Utd to claw their way back to second and for us to finish above Arsenal. Spurs are still a side that lacks depth I reckon. If Kane gets crocked or somehow gets a move they could fall out of the top four as well.
sutts07
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Darwin Nunez will be every bit as good as Mane but without the attitude.
They will get more out of Salah now he is the big fish again too.

Some of the reactions to missed chances or passes not played were quite telling between Salah and Mane.

Spurs lack depth, but the same can be said for Arsenal, West Ham and even Man Utd. Even Chelsea now to a degree.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:08 pm Darwin Nunez will be every bit as good as Mane but without the attitude.
They will get more out of Salah now he is the big fish again too.

Some of the reactions to missed chances or passes not played were quite telling between Salah and Mane.

Spurs lack depth, but the same can be said for Arsenal, West Ham and even Man Utd. Even Chelsea now to a degree.
Looks like Ten Haag wants to sign the core of his Ajax team though. The weird thing about Man Utd last year was how badly they underperformed relative to their squad. There is a lot of quality there, it was just badly harnessed. They will return to the mean I reckon, which means top four minimum.

Chelsea seem to have fallen off quite a bit under Tuchel and he doesn’t seem a great man manager.

Someone before said Nunez and Salah don’t seem to gel, but I guess a good preseason may sort that.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:38 pm mum.
Chelsea seem to have fallen off quite a bit under Tuchel and he doesn’t seem a great man manager.
Have to disagree with the "fallen off" bit tbh, heven't a scooby what his man management skills are like. Under Lampard they were in danger of becoming just another team making up the numbers, which is why I guess they sacked him. Tuchel took over and they won the Champions League, not a bad achievement for a manager who inherited, frankly, a shambles.

I guess they'd describe last season as "average" with nothing in the trophy cabinet but imo it wasn't a bad achievement given that Man City and Liverpool are so far ahead of the rest of the league anyway. But the new season will be a test of his management having lost Rudiger and Christensen and with Lukaku seriously challenging Harry Maguire as the worst vfm transfer in PL history before shuffling back, tail between his legs, to Milan, and needing to be replaced with a better performing striker.

Can see Spurs challenging them for 3rd spot but they should comfortably hold onto 4th place imo.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I see it shaping up same as usual
Which will suit Sky Sports no end

Nunez could be explosive as could Haarland

It will be the usual suspects in no particular order, City, Liverpool and Chelsea and 4th spit up for grabs.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Just a guess really, 5 groups of 4...

Man City
Liverpool
Arsenal
Chelsea
---------------------
Manchester United
Tottenham
Leicester
West Ham
---------------------
Villa
Newcastle
Wolves
Brighton
---------------------
Everton
Palace
Leeds
Fulham
---------------------
Southampton
Brentford
Bournemouth
Nottm Forest
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:29 pm I see it shaping up same as usual
Which will suit Sky Sports no end
Never understood this point tbh. Of course the so called "Big 6" are shown more often than the rest because people want to watch the best games. But if Liverpool and Manchester United, as an example, were replaced in the top 6 by, say, West Ham and Aston Villa they would be shown more for exactly the same reason.

I watch every West Ham game on the box because I support the club. But I will also tune in to watch other games shown on Sky/BT. But I want to watch games that matter, involving chasing the title or trying to stay up and not mid table matches with little at stake on the day.
The hayfield
Has liked: 419 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by The hayfield »

Liverpool
Man city
Chelsea
West ham

Spurs
Man utd
Arsenal
Leicester
I seriously think if the obvious gaps in our squad are filled we will get top 4 . And we will win the conference league as well .
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

The hayfield wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:35 pm Liverpool
Man city
Chelsea
West ham

Spurs
Man utd
Arsenal
Leicester
I seriously think if the obvious gaps in our squad are filled we will get top 4 . And we will win the conference league as well .
I admire your confidence. But speaking as someone who enjoys a regular nightcap of a glass of Scotland's finest export may I suggest taking a little more water with yours next time. :wink:
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

If we have a brilliant season we finish 5th, but I think we end up 7th or 8th. Liverpool will likely drop a few more points next season, but will still comfortably be the 2nd best side in the league. If Darwin settles they'll push again in the season after next. Spurs and Chelsea will round out the top 4. Unless Arsenal bring in a lot more players, they'll endure what we had to endure last season and I can see them at best 5th but probably 6th or 7th.For all their woes, Man Utd still field a stronger side than most. Assuming Ten Hag is at least taken somewhat seriously, they should manage a Europa spot again. The rest is a jumble. A few injuries here, a cup run there and the pile could end up in just about any order. I reckon the 3 that came up will go down. Basically nothing changes. The rich stay rich and the less rich, but still quite rich fight for scraps.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1036 likes

Post by stu1 »

The way I see going is roughly as follows:

The Elite
Man City - Not sure how well Haaland will suit Man City but he'll still score a bucket load. Can't see how the other 18 teams can compete.
Liverpool - Mane will be a loss but Nunez will do well imo. As annoying as he is, the job Klopp is doing there is incredible given their net spend.

Best of the rest
Tottenham - Conte doing an excellent job and the club looks willing to invest. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finally win something, sadly.
Arsenal - lacking depth with Europe on the horizon but they seem to have found their ambition again as a club.
Chelsea - likely to get top 4 but need to buy some defenders and strikers ASAP. Hopefully their new owners balls it up.
Man U - they could finish 3rd or the wheels fall off, they could surprise those who think they will finish 6th or lower.

Trying to gate crash
West Ham - need to see how our window turns out, we were 14th based on last 27 games of last season so shouts of top 4 seem a bit misguided.
Leicester - ravaged by injuries last season but still finished 8th, Rodgers needs to sort out their set piece defending.
Villa - surely sooner of later with the amount of money they are spending they are going to become a problem for us.
Newcastle - same as Villa, their form under Howe was actually very impressive and far better than our own over the same period.

No mans land
Wolves - I think they will drop off as their defence won't be as solid and they rarely score.
Palace - solid season with no relegation worries, Gallagher will be a big miss though.
Brighton - a strange team, one that could not win in 8 and then beat numerous teams in the top 8....surely we'll beat them soon.
Southampton - another strange team, if they don't start brightly Ralph will be under pressure. I could see them being dragged into the dog fight
Everton - better than last year but not by much. I can see Lamps struggling and more strange signings, another who could end up in the dog fight.

In the dog fight
Brentford - Eriksen could make or break their season, second season syndrome could prove a problem for them if he doesn't join.
Leeds - I think they will go down unless they change manager soon and make some decent signings.
Forrest - hope they stay up, will be tough though.
Fulham - will be interested to see how Mitrovic does, he's good enough for the prem with the right service imo.
Bournemouth - hope they stay up because of Parker, he remains one of the best players I've seen in a West Ham shirt.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Good post Stu. I think I agree with the way you have categorised the teams and I agree with all the teams you have put in those catergories, with the exception perhaps of us.

I think we straddle ‘best of the rest’ and ‘trying to gate crash’. This is the season I think that Moyes will want to have a proper go at challenging the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Spurs. The top two are out of sight but in Moyes mind the rest will be fair game and I think I agree.

I think we have a lot to excited about next season.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I can't see past Man City for the title, they're now dominating as Liverpool did in the late 70's and 80's.
Red Scouse probably second. Third and fourth between Totts, Arse, Chelsea and Man United.
Sorry to say I think we will drop off in the league this year. I reckon 10th to 13th. But as others have said, who would give a feck if we could just win a cup. Any cup. It's been sooooo long now.
Leeds, Bournemouth and Brentford to be relegated.
Second season syndrome will surely sting the bees.
Leeds just concede too many and Bournemouth are just not a top flight outfit.
hammerman11
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

as has been mentioned it all depends on our recruitment. however our subs bench will look better surely as the likes of masuaku kral vlasic noble yarmolenko offered little

get recruitment right and we could have subs such as cresswell and antonio . an ugrade for sure

fingers crossed we do well in the transfer window.

6th and winning the euro farmers league will do me !
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Post by S-H »

alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1597 likes

Post by alf git »

Ban the naysayers :crest: