Glastonbury 2022

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Re: Glastonbury 2022

Post by prophet:marginal »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:40 pm Faid play to McCartney at aged 80. Did a decent job for us at LB too IIRC
That was his other half.
daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

Amyl & The Sniffers - superb !

John Peel im sure would have been proud of that performance
no doubt the beeb will be editing the hell out of it
Last edited by daytimedave on Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2615 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:34 am I don't know if you follow Glasto LH but this slot has in recent years traditionally become a greatest hits set.

You could easily have replaced an hour of Macca's with even more classics (no Yesterday, All You Need Is Love et al) everyone knows and loves from his vast catalogue, which is where my frustration was coming from at the halfway point of the show (even Mull of Kintyre would've been welcome at one or two points over, for example, the self-indulgent and largely unknown ode to his latest wife, as it would at least have got the crowd going).

I think he realised he'd might've blundered a little with the first half set list when he alluded to the crowd lighting up when he played Beatles tunes.

But on reflection to crib about that would be unfair as it was a great set overall and as said above, one of those nights that will go down in Glasto fame but it perhaps could've been even better. How many pre 67 tracks did we get for example (and did he play any Beatles songs Lennon took the lead on?)

That said to do what he pulled off at his age was remarkable and we'll not see the likes of PM again. 60 years ago my mum would go and watch him play at the Ilford Palais etc and to think he's still up there playing today is an incredible achievement.

In some ways, it is such a difficult call when you have such a huge back catalogue and have to narrow it down to even your best 38 songs.

Personally, I enjoyed some of the less well known PM songs - Junior’s Farm and the ode to his latest wife - but hey, that is the wonderful thing about music, it appeals to all tastes. I do agree though that the second half was stronger than the first.

One of the things I enjoyed about his set though, we’re the smiles and sheer happiness on the face of those who knew that they were taking part in perhaps the most iconic ‘Hey Jude’ singalong!!

Just watched Diana Ross - she was carried a bit by her backing vocalists but every song was a pop gem … ideal for late Sunday afternoon!!
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Oh my gosh...... Diana Ross :shock:

What was that?!

Poor cow has been wheeled out for some karaoke.

I'm really not into festivals, but, if they announced that Stevie Wonder was playing there, I reckon even I would do my best to go.

Stevie aside, which other living ledge's would force you to try to get a ticket, just to have the experience of seeing him/her/them on that stage, in that sunshine?

If we had to re-form a band to get them there....REM. Reckon they would absolutely smash it.
badabing
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by badabing »

Not wishing to be harsh but Diana Ross is absolutely butchering it, I`ve heard better karaoke singers.
daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

badabing wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:30 pm Not wishing to be harsh but Diana Ross is absolutely butchering it, I`ve heard better karaoke singers.
i thought she put on a good show . not bad going for 78
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Petshop Boys......that more like it. :newthumb:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

daytimedave wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:42 pm Amyl & The Sniffers - superb !

John Peel im sure would have been proud of that performance
no doubt the beeb will be editing the hell out of it
My favourite act of the weekend. Awesome.

Currently watching Neil Tennant do a karaoke set on his own as the other one appears to have gone AWOL.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Well he's turned up at last, but whoever's directing the coverage of the Pet Shop Boys set on the BBC seems to think the drummer is Chris Lowe.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

daytimedave wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:28 am must be some copyright / recording issue , as Macca's set is not available to watch on catch up/ iplayer
Up in full on iplayer now,according to the red haired dude.
Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Rowly »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:29 pm Oh my gosh...... Diana Ross :shock:

What was that?!

Poor cow has been wheeled out for some karaoke.
She was ****ing awful. Could't hold a tune to save her life.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by smuts »

Loving the Pet Shop Boys tonight. Classic after classic.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Just catching up with Bicep (on same time as PSBs). That's a set well Worthing rewatching if you like that sort of thing
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3684 likes
Total likes: 2405 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:59 pm Can't wait for Sir Herbie of Hancock's set (which took place at 1400, but is shown at 2000 tonight).

At 82, he's got two years on McCartney and, imvho, as much legendary clout as a musician.
Was on live mate at 2. :newthumb:

82 years old and looks like Denzel’s big brother. No compromises with the set - absolutely superb. My stand out along with Plant/Krauss.

Also liked Caribou even though the sequencer took a **** at one point. Huge fan of Leon Bridges but didn’t quite carry in a festival setting.

Was bored by Macca and went to bed before The Boss came on (doh). Will rewatch along with Elbow and one or two others later.
Larrakeyah Hammer
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 164 likes

Post by Larrakeyah Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:34 am I don't know if you follow Glasto LH but this slot has in recent years traditionally become a greatest hits set.

You could easily have replaced an hour of Macca's with even more classics (no Yesterday, All You Need Is Love et al) everyone knows and loves from his vast catalogue, which is where my frustration was coming from at the halfway point of the show (even Mull of Kintyre would've been welcome at one or two points over, for example, the self-indulgent and largely unknown ode to his latest wife, as it would at least have got the crowd going).

I think he realised he'd might've blundered a little with the first half set list when he alluded to the crowd lighting up when he played Beatles tunes.

But on reflection to crib about that would be unfair as it was a great set overall and as said above, one of those nights that will go down in Glasto fame but it perhaps could've been even better. How many pre 67 tracks did we get for example (and did he play any Beatles songs Lennon took the lead on?)

That said to do what he pulled off at his age was remarkable and we'll not see the likes of PM again. 60 years ago my mum would go and watch him play at the Ilford Palais etc and to think he's still up there playing today is an incredible achievement.

Great points UTJ

As others have said with such a vast back catalogue how does he choose

Plus big McCartney fans enjoy his solo or Wings stuff
Personally a few extra Beatles songs wouldn’t have gone a miss but who am I to say really. We all have our slight preferences regards The Beatles & all their solo work etc

It’s difficult as the average singer if lucky may have 5-10 great songs then the legends like Bowie, Queen, Pink Floyd , Elton etc can have up to 20-30 plus songs a lot of people the average music fan may know . Some without actually realising until they hear it

The Beatles are in a league on their own. He could of played 50 Beatles songs only and the majority of people would be oh **** I’ve heard that

Unfortunately for McCartney dammed if he does to much of either Beatles, Wings or solo

You say he didn’t play much Lennon led songs but as I mentioned before with the whole Lennon or McCartney thing , if this was The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen etc one of them no one would question which song was played and who wrote or composed it

With the The Beatles it’s the most dissected band in history. Which is obviously due to the interest, influence and talent
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:36 pm Well he's turned up at last, but whoever's directing the coverage of the Pet Shop Boys set on the BBC seems to think the drummer is Chris Lowe.
He was there from the beginning but they had a set malfunction which meant the screen didn't go up so him and the rest of the backing band were stuck behind it
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 878 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

So that’s that for another 12 months then.

Highlights for me were Crowded House, Blossoms, Sam Fender, Foals, Wolf Alice and Pet Shop Boys from acts I already knew I liked. I enjoyed Metronomy and Caribou having not heard any of their stuff before.
I enjoyed the energy of Idles and maybe if I was I was 30 years younger I’d like their music but they’re not for me but I can see why they have a big following, full on live performance.
But my abiding memory will be of Sir Paul McCartney’s Saturday night set. He played 21 Beatles tracks out of 35 on the night to allow sone Wings tracks and solo stuff. He could have carried on for another 3 hours belting out Beatles songs such is their cv so it was always going to be a case of which tracks do I not sing. It was a performance that will live long in my memory bank and one I was glad I watched live on the night, well, not quite live but you know what I mean.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 878 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:29 pm
Stevie aside, which other living ledge's would force you to try to get a ticket, just to have the experience of seeing him/her/them on that stage, in that sunshine?
Easy one for me, but sadly one that will never happen, The Jam.

I would crawl across broken glass naked and then bathe in salt & vinegar if it meant Paul, Bruce & Rick could get together one more time and take us through their immense catalogue.

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:49 pm Was on live mate at 2. :newthumb:

82 years old and looks like Denzel’s big brother. No compromises with the set - absolutely superb. My stand out along with Plant/Krauss.
Bollards, only saw the replay later in the evening. It was great, mind.