Glastonbury 2022

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Re: Glastonbury 2022

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Not bad for an octagenarian
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The McCartney set wasn't great, but to be fair when he was born , the Germans had a fascist Government not us.

And, I saw her standing there, remains, to this day, the greatest opening song to a debut album by any band ever.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

True.

Chicken Run Supreme

f*** me it’s Bruce now
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

That's some serious musical royalty up there on stage right now.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:22 am And, I saw her standing there, remains, to this day, the greatest opening song to a debut album by any band ever.
Point of order - Soul Rebel
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

I take it all back. The end was better than the beginning.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Did get better. Shame Bruce and Dave didn't join in live and let die.

Could and should have been an epic defining set but others may have liked it more

Reading back I forget he is 80. Inspiring really. I read about Clint Eastwood earlier who was told by a friend years ago not to let the old man in. Still doing films at 92.
Larrakeyah Hammer
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Larrakeyah Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:09 am I take it all back. The end was better than the beginning.

Pleased to see this comment UTJ

I was surprised with your first comment as I’m aware your a big music fan

Not aimed at you personally but people need to lose their petty anti scouse attitude or I preferred Lennon etc etc attitude
They were both amazing so was George & Ringo.

Why do we ever ask the question Lennon or McCartney no other band people do it with

McCartney has earned the right to play what he wants he played an amazing set . He could of played another 25 Beatles songs if he’d wanted

We will never see the likes of McCartney again when he’s gone part of the biggest music phenomenon that won’t be seen again

A legend
Chicken Run Supreme

All things considered, that was a bloody good set from McCartney. Sure, there were some songs that were not well known but he still squeezed in plenty of crowd pleasing Beatles and Wings tracks.
Obviously at 80 years old, Macca’s voice is not what it was, no one’s is. There were some songs early in the set where he struggled a bit and it was difficult to hear him above the band, but as he progressed through his catalogue he actually got stronger. There were a couple of acoustic songs with just him out front on his own and that was when he was at his best. None more so than his poignant rendition of Here Today which was written as a letter to John Lennon after his death, I had some grit in my eyes watching that.
The arrival of Grohl and Springsteen was the icing on the cake and I guess when Sir Paul asks you to join him on stage, you simply cannot say no.
It wasn’t a faultless performance but he nailed far more songs than he missed and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole 2 hours 45 minutes. Particular highlights for me were the opening number, Can’t Buy Me Love, Let Em In, Live and Let Die, Band On The Run and Helter Skelter
And how great to see Lennon virtually performing with Macca at the end too courtesy of modern technology. The more I think of last nights set, the more I think it will go down as one of “those” Glastonbury moments.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

80 years old and still doing nearly 3 hour sets...fair play to him. Kept his powder dry as well with the setlist, thought he was great.

Jagger is 78 and spent about 2 hours running up and down a stage at Hyde Park as well last night.

It's easy to pick fault in their voices etc but fair play to them.

And being able to bring on Springsteen for a number says it all.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

smuts wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:13 am 80 years old and still doing nearly 3 hour sets...fair play to him. Kept his powder dry as well with the setlist, thought he was great.

Jagger is 78 and spent about 2 hours running up and down a stage at Hyde Park as well last night.

It's easy to pick fault in their voices etc but fair play to them.

And being able to bring on Springsteen for a number says it all.

A mere slip of a lad at age 72
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by daytimedave »

must be some copyright / recording issue , as Macca's set is not available to watch on catch up/ iplayer
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Larrakeyah Hammer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:46 am Pleased to see this comment UTJ

I was surprised with your first comment as I’m aware your a big music fan
I don't know if you follow Glasto LH but this slot has in recent years traditionally become a greatest hits set.

You could easily have replaced an hour of Macca's with even more classics (no Yesterday, All You Need Is Love et al) everyone knows and loves from his vast catalogue, which is where my frustration was coming from at the halfway point of the show (even Mull of Kintyre would've been welcome at one or two points over, for example, the self-indulgent and largely unknown ode to his latest wife, as it would at least have got the crowd going).

I think he realised he'd might've blundered a little with the first half set list when he alluded to the crowd lighting up when he played Beatles tunes.

But on reflection to crib about that would be unfair as it was a great set overall and as said above, one of those nights that will go down in Glasto fame but it perhaps could've been even better. How many pre 67 tracks did we get for example (and did he play any Beatles songs Lennon took the lead on?)

That said to do what he pulled off at his age was remarkable and we'll not see the likes of PM again. 60 years ago my mum would go and watch him play at the Ilford Palais etc and to think he's still up there playing today is an incredible achievement.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Maccas set was an emotional rollercoaster. Starting off with Can’t But Me Love, through to me sobbing when he Played Here Today and duetted with Lennon through virtual reality.

Macca was on form from start to finish and has deserved the right to play what he wants.

Loved everything about it last night, one of the best things I’ve ever watched live on TV.

The BBC had it right…”for anyone else this would be a career defining performance, but for McCartney probably only just in his top 10”.

It’s very hard to argue with that.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Only seen 3 sets:

Sam Fender
Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds
Sir Paul McCartney

All 3 were blinding and I feel very envious of those who were there to see them in person.

A handful of other acts I’d like to catch up on, but the iPlayer options seem much more limited than previous this year.

My brother, who’s in the music business saw Chris Martin backstage in production an hour or so before Macca - I was worried he would come on stage too as well as Grohl and The Boss and create a modern day ‘Fab 4’ :lol:
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:32 am Macca was on form from start to finish and has deserved the right to play what he wants.
Paul McCartney was never one to rest on his laurels. Had he done so then The Beatles would have continued to play skiffle as opposed to bringing the world brand new music such as Sgt Pepper.

His constant need to create sets him apart from us mere mortals. Keep doing new stuff or get stuck in the past.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Can't wait for Sir Herbie of Hancock's set (which took place at 1400, but is shown at 2000 tonight).

At 82, he's got two years on McCartney and, imvho, as much legendary clout as a musician.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Thoroughly enjoyed The McCartney set last night.

Always have been and always will be fan and let's be honest, the thick end of 2 and 3/4 hours on stage for a man in his eighties is some going. I'm going to be happy just hitting eighty!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Faid play to McCartney at aged 80. Did a decent job for us at LB too IIRC