Modern technology?

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Wilko1304, -DL-, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress

V-M
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Modern technology?

Post by V-M »

Recently watched a program on Sky called Food Factory, basically some bloke goes behind the scenes and does a documentary on how the food is prepared, cooked, packed and distributed etc. Quite amazing how the ingredients and flavourings are measured down to a microgram, food cooked to perfection at an exact temperature and then the finished article is scanned by robots and anything 'not right' is discarded.

But, I do miss the days when you opened the wrapping and you discovered something 'not right'. Like a bag of salt and vinegar crisps that had clearly got stuck under the flavour dispenser and were 10 times stronger than they should have been. I once opened a Kit Kat and both fingers were solid chocolate. Bloody robots would have pulled those out.

Anyway, anyone else miss stuff like this?
S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 2769 likes

Re: Modern technology?

Post by S-H »

I had a pack of cheesy Doritos, with no Doritos, just cheesy flavouring.

Essentially a bag of dust.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 597 likes
Total likes: 630 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Solid chocolate Kit Kat without wafer. Orange clubs with double wrappers. Chilli McCoy where the whole packet of chilli flavour stuck to a single crisp (of the 4 that were in the bag).
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Salt & shake without the blue salt bag.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

All dwarfed by the euphoria where the office machine makes a mistake and dispenses two of what you ordered. Or gave you your money back.
V-M

Post by V-M »

Those machines chucking out bags of crisps on a giant corkscrew thing. The inconsolable despair when your goods got left dangling. The euphoria when you realised if you put in another 10p you could then get 2 for the price of one. Well it seemed like it anyway.
V-M

Post by V-M »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:29 pm Salt & shake without the blue salt bag.
Salt n shake with TWO blue salt bags. :newthumb:
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 145 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Back when they used to bribe you with toys in cereal, I once got 10 in the same box. Absolute scenes in my house that day.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

V-M wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:39 pm Those machines chucking out bags of crisps on a giant corkscrew thing. The inconsolable despair when your goods got left dangling. The euphoria when you realised if you put in another 10p you could then get 2 for the price of one. Well it seemed like it anyway.
My work one used to sell grab bags of chilli mccoys, which would get stuck on the corkscrew end. You’d get a refund, put the coin back in, get another bag and watch both drop out.
V-M

Post by V-M »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:57 pm My work one used to sell grab bags of chilli mccoys, which would get stuck on the corkscrew end. You’d get a refund, put the coin back in, get another bag and watch both drop out.
That's a bit posh, machines round here would just keep your goodies dangling and not give you anything back by way of refund. Only way was to nudge it by making another purchase.

Sometimes you'd find some poor unfortunate soul had left something hanging so it was easy game to get 2 for 1. Or, if you were feeling a bit daring, going for something higher up and hoping it would hit the loose bag on the way down and then you'd get both. Bit like crisp snooker.
V-M

Post by V-M »

Anyway, Modern Tech.

With the amount of grumble available on the internet the thrill of finding some discarded grot mags in the woods has long gone. Another nail in the coffin of my youth.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 429 likes
Total likes: 741 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:30 pm All dwarfed by the euphoria where the office machine makes a mistake and dispenses two of what you ordered. Or gave you your money back.
This is almost as good as the parking meter that had a blockage so the bloke before's change and yours tumble down into the place at once.

Free Parking! Yus!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 556 likes
Total likes: 2031 likes

Post by -DL- »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:36 am This is almost as good as the parking meter that had a blockage so the bloke before's change and yours tumble down into the place at once.

Free Parking! Yus!
Nothing finer than that happening. I went to pay at the machine at Chatham Riverside Car Park a few years ago, used my last quid and a half, it went down in to the slot and didn't register, and the coin return wouldn't give it me back. Feeling mightily pissed off, I thumped it, and just over 12 quid came out of the chute.

Pocketed that, and went to another machine 11.40 better off.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Haven't seen an egg with a double yolk for years.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

vietnammer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:38 am Haven't seen an egg with a double yolk for years.
I had a whole box full of them a few months ago. It was madness!

On the other hand, I haven't had a bad egg in years. There used to be nothing worse than cracking several eggs into a bowl then realising a second too late that the last one was rancid and the whole lot was now ruined.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Greg Wallace likes this thread
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:57 pm My work one used to sell grab bags of chilli mccoys, which would get stuck on the corkscrew end. You’d get a refund, put the coin back in, get another bag and watch both drop out.
When Teddington studios were still running, they installed Coca Cola machines in various places. I walked passed one one day and I heard this multiple "clump". Went back and looked in the tray to find six cans had just decided to dispense.

Touch!
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Another one that's just come to mind........

The Lovely Ms. Eggs and myself were in a local garden centre a while back and while wandering through the BBQ's, we stumbled across this monster truck of a unit; all singing and dancing. We did a double take when we read on the ticket that it can be controlled via an app on your phone!

Why???
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:45 pm Another one that's just come to mind........

The Lovely Ms. Eggs and myself were in a local garden centre a while back and while wandering through the BBQ's, we stumbled across this monster truck of a unit; all singing and dancing. We did a double take when we read on the ticket that it can be controlled via an app on your phone!

Why???
For long burn cooks, quite useful to be able to monitor temperatures of the bbq & meat.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

I have an app controlled tumble dryer. Why? It's in the kitchen. Wet clothes go in, switch it on an then do it's cycle. I'd never use it whilst out of the house so why have an app?