PSF: Servette FC 0-2 West Ham Utd (8/7/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: West Ham United v Servette FC: match thread

Post by HammerMan2004 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:26 pm Where was Ogbonna?
I thought he wasn’t due back until later in the year I must admit.

9 months for an ACL is about right and he did it in November?
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Ogbonna has been rehab for about a month or so I'd guess. Probably joins the squad on monday with the internationals?
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Ogbonna was named on the bench.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:09 pm How did our younger ones do? Only saw the result.
Did ok imo without any of the really grabbing the game by the throat. But the object was getting some pitch time and raising fitness levels. The only youngster who stood out for me, but for the wrong reasons, was Trott. Had very little to do but tbh I think he did it badly. One shot straight at him that he couldn't hold, one occasion coming out for a high through ball which he got to and then dropped and finally a botched clearance which fell straight at the feet of a Servette player who missed the target.

But the kids who played outfield didn't look at all out of place. The young striker who scored had a smart effort very well saved just before his goal, and would have got himself an assist but somehow Benrahma put the rebound wide. And Alese getting on the scoresheet, even though it was one of those unmissable chances, won't do his confidence any harm.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Alese looked much more comfortable when we went to 3 at the back. Less so when we started with 2. Maybe it was nerves.

Coventry looked tidy, don't think he misplaced a pass all game.
chigwellhammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by chigwellhammer »

Trott ffs, some people aint got a danny, two kids played 90 mins
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Have to say impressed with Ashby. Looks ready for a loan stint for some regular game time. Good going forward and put in some nice crosses.

Can't realy be critical of anyone today. It's pre season and everyone got through it unscathed.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

It’s only a pre-season game so can’t read too much into it but felt that Coventry and Ashby had that presence where they seemed to always have an extra second or two when they received the ball.

I’m not convinced Moyes will play them much this season but definitely noticed that bit of ‘swagger’ that only some youth players seem to have when stepping up.
ExeC
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by ExeC »

Vienna wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:50 pm LG Oled impressed me for them, he was everywhere.
Yea he really stood out, looked sharp in most situations. In contrast to the others he outshone them.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

I still think there's a proper player in Coventry. We were spoilt by the once in a generation talent of Dec, but he has real potential if we don't rush him.

*I know nothing about football BTW
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I know it’s only preseason, but Benrahma, Antonio and Zouma were shocking. Lanzini looked a bit off the pace. Arthur and Cresswell were pretty poor too. Both were guilty of backing away from their man and allowing them too much space. The positives were the youngsters Coventry was solid if unspectacular, but looks like a leader. Ashby was decent, and Alese looks class. Okokflex looked good but lightweight. Longelo looked twice the player Arthur did, and for a 17 year old Mubama didn’t look out of place. Ekwah looked special. He was the pick of the bunch for me. He wasn’t involved too much, but not much got passed him, and he read the game really well, and looked class every time he touched the ball.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Coventry's distribution was excellent and was very composed. Ekwah and Ashby looked lively and competent. Still pedestrian coming out of defense followed by long periods of sideways and backwards passing. I was hoping we'd be quicker especially against inferior opposition. Happy that the youngsters got goals albeit from scrambles but we barely troubled their goalie. Hopefully Moyes will have learned something to build on.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

I thought Alese and Coventry both did well but the stand out from the kids was Ashby , he could be our right back for years likes a tackle goes forward and crosses well. the kids that came on second half were hard to say as the games always go flat with too many subs . but all 3 of Coventry, Alese and Ashby should be round the first team picking up games and minutes this season not loaned out,
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

It was hard to take a lot out of that game really, knowing it was the first friendly back.

In terms of the seniors, I thought Lanzini was the pick of the bunch. Masuaku did okay though.

With regards to the youngsters, Ashby was the only one I thought looked ready to potentially push into the 1st team squad. The rest were average at best. I personally can’t see that Alese being anything more than a Championship defender. Not that’s anything to be ashamed of! He’ll still have a good career.

Defending was poor in the 1st half. Got a bit better in the 2nd half though.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:09 pm How did our younger ones do? Only saw the result.
Mubama looks a talent. Not just a clever instinctive finish for his goal but he also isn't afraid to shoot with either foot and test the keeper. The boy has been banging them in for fun in the lower age groups and even at just 17 he doesn't look out of place in the senior squad.

Seems a lovely kid too going by this...

Could be 1 for the future and worth keeping an eye on.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:37 am It was hard to take a lot out of that game really, knowing it was the first friendly back.

In terms of the seniors, I thought Lanzini was the pick of the bunch. Masuaku did okay though.

With regards to the youngsters, Ashby was the only one I thought looked ready to potentially push into the 1st team squad. The rest were average at best. I personally can’t see that Alese being anything more than a Championship defender. Not that’s anything to be ashamed of! He’ll still have a good career.

Defending was poor in the 1st half. Got a bit better in the 2nd half though.
I thought Ashby looked better going forward than defensively but I agree he had a very decent match. Trott I thought was awful and the rest didn't do anything wrong but neither did they grab the game by the throat. I guess with Coventry and Alese, to name two, the club and the players have to make a decision. Do we want them, or will they be prepared to, hang around as bit part players which would likely happen if they stayed or would they be better advised to move on to the Championship or League One where they would have a better chance of regular first team football.