Women's Euro 2022

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Women's Euro 2022

Post by S-H »

That was the first women's game I've ever watched..

Really impressed with the quality.

That first goal was sublime.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1331 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Wow! Just watched Leah Williamson captains speech at Trafalgar Square, absolute class, a real leader.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

The naysayers were out in force this morning on BBC Breakfast talking about the lack of diversity in the England women's setup.

Christ alive can they not just celebrate winning a championship without everything coming under scrutiny.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

RichieRiv wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:15 pm The naysayers were out in force this morning on BBC Breakfast talking about the lack of diversity in the England women's setup.

Christ alive can they not just celebrate winning a championship without everything coming under scrutiny.
I've tried to just switch off from that. The women's England team is what I would call 'economically diverse' and that's the main thing. It's not a load of rich kids who've had private coachng since they were 3, they've all worked their arses off to be there. The cultural diversity will come with time, money, coaching and scouting. Something that hasn't been in place in the women's game before.

Yesterday was inspirational and will hit every single young girl and boy that watched it.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:19 pm Absolutely, Pinky. I don't want to sound patronising, but I would say that the leap in quality in the last 10 years has been absolutely vast.

Carry on with that level of progression, and imo, broadcasters will be fighting to get WSL and European rights to show games. The same is happening with the cricket team. My wife said to me this morning whether I thought Sarina Weigmann could get a job for a top men's team - and I said that I think fans of most clubs should feel lucky to have her. I'd love to get to a stage in the next 10 years where it's common place to see men and women coaching both men's and women's leagues.
I thought exactly the same.

That for me would be the next step/level for women. Just needs a team or two to take that leap of faith.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:03 pm I thought exactly the same.

That for me would be the next step/level for women. Just needs a team or two to take that leap of faith.
Next step isn't getting into the mens game at all, building on this success in the womens game. Have better grass roots and get the girls into academies.

Why on earth would the next step be getting a woman into the mens game?
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

e17 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:41 pm Weigmann was the star of the show through the tournament for me. Proper football manager. Not obsessed with “teaching” everyone about rights and wrongs that have nothing to do with winning games.
I agree, she's really impressed me, if I was an owner of a men's side I'd definitely consider her for a decent job. There are lots of men managing women's teams, so no reason it shouldn't do the other way, and she could get a big bucks contract in the men's game. We looked really mentally tough and you've got to credit the coach there.

First goal was an absolute beauty, and I quite enjoyed that it got a bit nasty too, sick of hearing all this patronising stuff about how girls are so much nicer. Jill Scott screaming in that German's face that she's a ****ing prick was great.

After all the stick female keepers get, the England keeper was excellent in the final too.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Mullhull wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:59 pm Next step isn't getting into the mens game at all, building on this success in the womens game. Have better grass roots and get the girls into academies.

Why on earth would the next step be getting a woman into the mens game?
I agree...there are plenty of steps to be taken that grow the ladies game first.
Mullhull

Post by Mullhull »

Collison Theory wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:12 pm I agree, she's really impressed me, if I was an owner of a men's side I'd definitely consider her for a decent job. There are lots of men managing women's teams, so no reason it shouldn't do the other way, and she could get a big bucks contract in the men's game. We looked really mentally tough and you've got to credit the coach there.
You think many professional men footballers are going to listen to her? Regardless of her creditenials? Be honest with yourself.

It's 100x easier for a man to go into a womans game and get respect than a woman going into a mens game and getting respect.

That's the sad truth.

Also, why are people trying to get Weigman out of the England womens team? She's got the World Cup to win first! She nearly did the double with the Netherlands. She'll do it with England.
Collison Theory

Mullhull wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:24 pm You think many professional men footballers are going to listen to her? Regardless of her creditenials? Be honest with yourself.

It's 100x easier for a man to go into a womans game and get respect than a woman going into a mens game and getting respect.

That's the sad truth.

Also, why are people trying to get Weigman out of the England womens team? She's got the World Cup to win first! She nearly did the double with the Netherlands. She'll do it with England.
Honestly, I think it would be a challenge but if she's got the personality I think she could do it. And on the plus side, you'd get a lot of publicity. Take a reasonable sized team that no one really gives a **** about like, I dunno, Preston, stick her in and a lot of people will take notice, and I think it would be on merit too. We had a female PM over forty years ago and are about to get our third (God help us) we aren't that bloody backwards.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Mullhull wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:24 pmAlso, why are people trying to get Weigman out of the England womens team?
Literally no one is.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Mullhull wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:24 pm You think many professional men footballers are going to listen to her? Regardless of her creditenials? Be honest with yourself.
As Jordan Henderson says in the advert, she's not the problem.

Already been mentioned but we have had female prime ministers. Why would male professional footballers be so backward? Perhaps, and hopefully we are, doing them a disservice and just assuming they wouldn't listen to her.

Having said that, she's only been England manager for 10 months and she has plenty more to offer the women's game so I would not like to see her leave any time soon.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1566 likes

Post by alf git »

Collison Theory wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:30 pm Honestly, I think it would be a challenge but if she's got the personality I think she could do it. And on the plus side, you'd get a lot of publicity. Take a reasonable sized team that no one really gives a **** about like, I dunno, Manchester United, stick her in and a lot of people will take notice, and I think it would be on merit too. We had a female PM over forty years ago and are about to get our third (God help us) we aren't that bloody backwards.
Free of charge :winker:
Mullhull

Post by Mullhull »

e17 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:00 pm Literally no one is.
There are literally people saying she should go into mens football (even in this thread), others saying she should take over from Southgate.
Kialos wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:18 pm As Jordan Henderson says in the advert, she's not the problem.

Already been mentioned but we have had female prime ministers.
And he would be right. As opposed to being backwards it's more ego with Men. The old Alpha male.

We did have 2 female Prime Ministers and they were largely ridiculed/hated and in the case of Thatcher she had to show she had more b*llocks than the men in the room.

We have a female CEO and she gets roundly slagged off by people who can't even do her job, why? Your guess is as good as mine? I don't want to make assumptions.

Weigman should take England to the World Cup, she is the best chance we have of winning it. Also, if we start seeing more 'diversity' (especially if it is forced by top brass) in the squad as opposed to players being picked on skill and ability I'd expect her to walk.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Mullhull wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:48 am

Weigman should take England to the World Cup, she is the best chance we have of winning it.
Agreed.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Sadly it is all about success, so for women's football to flourish, at least at an international level, it desperately needs consistency and a good showing in the World Cup. Sarina Wiegman is the best chance of that.

And as we all know managing a club level versus international is completely different. Success in one does not automatically lead to success in another.
Collison Theory

Mullhull wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:48 am There are literally people saying she should go into mens football (even in this thread), others saying she should take over from Southgate.
I'm not "trying to get Weigman out of the England womens team" though, I'm not delusional enough to think I have any power over that, nor do I want her to leave right now, just saying I would consider giving her a shot if I was in that position.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Not sure if here's the best place to post on it, but the FA is moving pretty quickly to keep momentum going - high profile friendly with the US at Wembley set for later this year assuming England don't end up in a World Cup play off (avoided either by drawing with or beating Austria, or beating Luxembourg if not, in the September double header).
Mullhull

Post by Mullhull »

YorksHammer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:48 am Not sure if here's the best place to post on it, but the FA is moving pretty quickly to keep momentum going - high profile friendly with the US at Wembley set for later this year assuming England don't end up in a World Cup play off (avoided either by drawing with or beating Austria, or beating Luxembourg if not, in the September double header).
I wonder how the crowds will be outside of a tournament. England have to be contenders for the World Cup now, Weigman won the Euros with the Netherlands and come second in the following World Cup.

the US ladies team are a different breed it seems but not invincible and after the last World Cup where they mocked us after scoring (Typical Yank in sports right? Gracious isn't a word in their vocabulary) I hope we stuff them in the next tournament.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Mullhull wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:02 am I wonder how the crowds will be outside of a tournament. England have to be contenders for the World Cup now, Weigman won the Euros with the Netherlands and come second in the following World Cup.
Reading an article today that demand for tickets crashed the FA ticketing website and had long queues once it was back up for several hours, so for something like that it's definitely got appeal. And the tickets aren't even on general sale until later today, that was just for whatever the England fans thing is called.

Arguably the barometer will be tested more by the game against Luxembourg in September - Tuesday evening in Stoke with the schools back. It looks to be currently sold out of the first wave of tickets (20,000), but there should be another ~10k available in terms of ground capacity that could go on sale again. If we can fill that, given the date/time of the fixture, the location, and the opposition (as well as it potentially being nothing more than an exhibition match given that we could be qualified based on the Austria result) it shows the interest isn't going to be put out right now.