Women's Euro 2022

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Re: Women's Euro 2022

Post by Korea Hammer »

Brilliant first goal (I make that 3 stunning goals in the last 3 games) and a terrific team spirit. Inspirational stuff.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Bobbysgirl wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:17 pm As a football mad 10 year old growing up in the 60s, being told that only boys played football and girls played netball, I realised early on that my dream would come to nothing, I am ecstatic for this England team, what a stupendous result - so happy for them and their achievement.
I think this could be the catalyst for the women's game becoming huge here. Mind you I watched the womens fa cup final in front of 43000. Would have been higher if fa had supported changing men's kick off time on same day.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

I sadly missed most of the game as I was out, but managed to catch extra time. Great ending and thoroughly deserves for our girls. They've been the best team in this tournament and have been entertaining in every game. No diving, simulation, moaning, or acting hard done by. The football has been to a high standard and some of the goals have been stunning - none less so than Ella Toone's opener today.

A sell out crowd at Wembley is a good marker of how popular women's football is in this country right now. I remarked earlier how much the game has come on standards wise from the 2019 World Cup when we lost in the semis to the USA. That team is a shadow of this team. Hopefully the game can make another giant leap forward now and continue to improve and become more popular.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

jastons wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:35 pmI'm crying!

I will admit I had a tear in my eye.

If somebody would have told me I'd have has a tear in my eye for the women winning the Euro's,I'd have laughed.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Apparently Chloe Kelly was doing a reference to Wonder Woman. Brady’s legal team are exploring suing her for breach of copyright. Whilst the government of Wakanda are proposing a UN resolution in protest
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

alf git wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:42 pm Image

I got sent that on a Whatsapp Group with a shopping list on it. :crylol:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

sendô wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:14 pm I sadly missed most of the game as I was out, but managed to catch extra time. Great ending and thoroughly deserves for our girls. They've been the best team in this tournament and have been entertaining in every game. No diving, simulation, moaning, or acting hard done by. The football has been to a high standard and some of the goals have been stunning - none less so than Ella Toone's opener today.

A sell out crowd at Wembley is a good marker of how popular women's football is in this country right now. I remarked earlier how much the game has come on standards wise from the 2019 World Cup when we lost in the semis to the USA. That team is a shadow of this team. Hopefully the game can make another giant leap forward now and continue to improve and become more popular.
Think the real sign of how far it has come is that 13 years ago central contracts allowing only a handful of players to be full time had just been introduced after strong lobbying from Hope Powell. That in itself is a real sign of how much of a battle it has been for years to grow and establish the women's game in this country alone.

There's still only something like 45% of secondary schools that offer equal access to football in PE as they do to boys. The change is probably massive since I was at school some 20 years ago when it certainly wasn't an option at my secondary school. It really shouldn't be at such a low level, and it should be at 100% that's it is at least available if secondary school kids want to play. How does that get there? By moments like this being capitalised on. Even if it's not in schools, by promoting local training clubs through the schools and making it an accessible option for everyone from an early age nationwide.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crylol:
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

OFT wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:38 pm I mentioned in an earlier post that HerOFTness's cousin played in the England women's team from 1972 to 76. She eventually went abroad to play.
As a kid she'd been playing in the junior school team but was eventually prevented from doing so 'because she was a girl' She scored for the England women's team when she was 16
:newthumb:
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Wonderful result, stuff like this gives the country a real lift. It's obviously hugely important for the women's game but I think it will give a lift to the mens team as well. :scarfer:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

If is all down to that film~ 'Bend it like Beckham'. There is a line in that film, where Keira Knightly was told, you can't play professionally in this country, and she replies, "No, but you can in the U S, I can play for a professional club there" Before that, girls and, woman were told, you can't play football,y you're a girl and football is for men. I just can't find words to describe it all. This rose the awareness and 20 years later, England's women, win the Euro final. Incredible development in 20 years. From hereon in, the wonens game will only get better and better. I bet there are loads of young girls who have woke up this morning and told themselves, I'm now going to be a footballer
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Great stuff. So good to see last night and even though the kids were in bed, I showed it to them this morning.

Particularly enjoyed the last 5 minutes of absolute shithousery! Lovely stuff. Well done, girls!!

:fist:
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

What an amazing tournament. Loved every minute of it, and for England to win is the icing on the cake. These are the people who should be role models, not the overpaid primadonna’s we see in the men’s game. They do it for the love and the glory, not the money. Epic.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Simply magnificent.

Hats off to the BBC for screening every game live and devoting huge resources to covering the tournament, that's proper public service broadcasting. Ian Wright was excellent throughout, as was Alex Scott.

Two good goals again from England yesterday, the finish for the 1st as good as you'll see anywhere.

I never thought I would see the day where I was sat watching the cricket, and made a point of turning the channel over to the BBC to watch the build up and game, but I'd watched three of the England games in this tournament and, to fully declare my dinosaur credentials, was shocked at how high the standard was.

Plenty of skill, tactical nous, properly coached, well organised, good teams.

I wasn't that impressed with the shithousery to close out the last 5 minutes, anymore than if I had watched West Ham do it, but I will concede they executed the clock run down supremely well.

Worthy champions, and well worth the media coverage they are getting today
Estuary
Has liked: 276 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:44 am Simply magnificent.

A very fair summation. I would add I was surprised by the Germans tactic of leaving a foot in on the English team in their tackles in the second half in an effort to disrupt our game, and I was most pleased by the shear joy expressed at winning. You watch men's teams winning and the initial response to winning a league or tournament is relief at not failing, something for coaches to think about.
Maybe that is naivety maybe its that men's teams feel the burden of expectation more for any number of reasons, but it was refreshing.
Last edited by the pink palermo on Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote truncated
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

SullySpecial wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:25 am What an amazing tournament. Loved every minute of it, and for England to win is the icing on the cake. These are the people who should be role models, not the overpaid primadonna’s we see in the men’s game. They do it for the love and the glory, not the money. Epic.
One of the nicest experiences I've had of watching a fair few women's games now is that regardless of level the players seem hugely down to earth and are almost always available at the end of games to meet, most notably, kids. At Leeds, locally, they've had kids come on to do a penalty shoot out after matches, and almost always come over to chat and take photos with people. But that also goes for at Man City in the WSL, it's like it's a planned part of the experience now, we've got photos with Ellen White, Janine Beckie, and others in recent years.

Imagine players doing that at a PL game.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

17.4m watching on the BBC (not counting people in fanzones/pubs/online).

17.9m watching in Germany.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Absolutely, Pinky. I don't want to sound patronising, but I would say that the leap in quality in the last 10 years has been absolutely vast.

Carry on with that level of progression, and imo, broadcasters will be fighting to get WSL and European rights to show games. The same is happening with the cricket team. My wife said to me this morning whether I thought Sarina Weigmann could get a job for a top men's team - and I said that I think fans of most clubs should feel lucky to have her. I'd love to get to a stage in the next 10 years where it's common place to see men and women coaching both men's and women's leagues.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Weigmann was the star of the show through the tournament for me. Proper football manager. Not obsessed with “teaching” everyone about rights and wrongs that have nothing to do with winning games.