✍ Flynn Downes

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Re: ✍ Flynn Downes

Post by Coops »

I thought it was a shame that he was brought on with only 2 minutes to go in a game that we were losing (when most people had left).
He didn't get the reception that a new signing deserves as a result.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Coops wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:25 am I thought it was a shame that he was brought on with only 2 minutes to go in a game that we were losing (when most people had left).
Pointless sub at that time. Did he or Coventry even touch the ball? I'd have given them both ten minutes at least. Bowen was anonymous and the game was lost.
kentboleyn
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by kentboleyn »

Coops wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:25 am I thought it was a shame that he was brought on with only 2 minutes to go in a game that we were losing (when most people had left).
Couldnt agree more,didnt think Moyes got any thing right yesterday.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

So Moyes should bring players on earlier so their egos can get a little tickle from the crowd?
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:45 pm So Moyes should bring players on earlier so their egos can get a little tickle from the crowd?
I'm not saying that, but what exactly was the point in giving the lad his debut with 2 minutes to go in a game we had already lost, especially as he was unlikely to get a touch on the ball?
Bubbles Fortuna

Coops wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:50 pm I'm not saying that, but what exactly was the point in giving the lad his debut with 2 minutes to go in a game we had already lost, especially as he was unlikely to get a touch on the ball?
I agree, I said earlier it was pointless to bring on midfield players on the 90th minute at 2-0 down.

Honestly it might just be to ease the pressure. His debut is out of the way now, less pressure when it does come as it's likely he doesn't start until the Europa qualifier.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:33 pm Pointless sub at that time. Did he or Coventry even touch the ball? I'd have given them both ten minutes at least. Bowen was anonymous and the game was lost.
Gets them the appearance fee…
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2367 likes

Post by Ozza »

MB wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:58 pm Gets them the appearance fee…
That’s exactly what I thought, proper pissed me off…

The way Souey has been playing recently, if I was Moyes I’d start giving Downes more than 2 mins to try and get him used to the prem as quick as possible
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:45 pm So Moyes should bring players on earlier so their egos can get a little tickle from the crowd?
Exactly my thought
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

Ego ~ or a nice confidence boost?

Imagine waiting your whole life to make your West Ham debut and when you do - it's for 2 mins and you don't even get to touch the ball? That's a bit poop.

Just save it for later - or give the kid 15 mins from the end so he can at least get his foot in no?
Last edited by Sticky on Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Nope. But he could have brought on a combative holding midfielder, when by his own admission after the game, we were outnumbered in the middle.
Bubbles Fortuna

Sticky wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:50 pm Ego ~ or a nice confidence boost?

Imagine waiting your whole life to make your West Ham debut and when you do - it's for 2 mins and you don't even get to touch the ball? That's a bit poop.

Just save it for later - or give the kid 15 mins from the end so he can at least get his foot in no?
Give him 15 minutes against the best team in the world and he gives the ball away for the 3rd? That's no confidence boost.

Pressure is off now that he's made his debut. Imagine the trepidation if he'd been on the bench for weeks then starts in Europe.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

I doubt coming in for 2 minutes and not touching the ball does anything to relieve any apparent pressure.

Agree with those saying his debut probably felt like a bit of an anticlimax which is a shame, especially as there was no real point to his sub. The game was well and truly done.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Moyes: “I think we need to give him a bit of time,” Moyes added on Downes. “As I said, he would have played if it wasn’t for his toe.”

“The things I’ve seen of him, he needs to do better and we’re already [working at that] but we’ll get him a game when we can. All the players have to earn it and I have to find a way of winning most of the games.“

“If it takes me putting the better players out to win, well I want to win. I’m not putting the boys out just to lose and say ‘I’m giving them a game.’ I want to win the games.”

https://www.football.london/west-ham-un ... 06901.amp
DublinDave
Has liked: 2722 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

I feel for the lad as the step up from Championship to PL is massive & many players struggle to make the adjustment...
Not writing him off yet but as Moyes has already come out & basically said he's not good enough atm, I can see him given until Xmas to improve to the required standard otherwise he'll be shipped out on loan in January...
Hopefully he can make the grade, I'd much rather he be a success like Jarod Bowen rather than another Jordan Huggil...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Was my Man of the Match tonight. Really impressed me a lot. Won the ball back cleanly, made most of his passes and played a couple of defence splitting ones too which one should have been scored from. He really did look bang at it throughout. Think he may well have finally arrived.

And if that's the usual kind of performance we can expect from him in the future, then I can see him having a very good career here. It was all rather Noblesque if I squinted a bit. Up to him to keep that standard up now if he is, but so far, so good.

Top work, son. :clap:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Excellent tonight, if he can play like that in the PL we have quite the player on our hands.
lukechadwick
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by lukechadwick »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:14 pm Was my Man of the Match tonight. Really impressed me a lot. Won the ball back cleanly, made most of his passes and played a couple of defence splitting ones too which one should have been scored from. He really did look bang at it throughout. Think he may well have finally arrived.

And if that's the usual kind of performance we can expect from him in the future, then I can see him having a very good career here. It was all rather Noblesque if I squinted a bit. Up to him to keep that standard up now if he is, but so far, so good.

Top work, son. :clap:
Yep, thought he looked like noble in his prime, impressed.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Rice mrk 2

Motm

Keep it up

Completion in midfield now

Nit sure where that leaves Coventry as so much better than hom tonight compared to Coventry odd match

Downes first CM sub now
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Brilliant tonight. Get it, give it, keep it simple. Superb.