PSF: Ipswich Town 1-2 West Ham Utd (12/7/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Re: West Ham United v Ipswich Town: match thread

Post by NWhammer »

The superb cross for Zouma and whatever that was when through 1v1 is why Antonio is a wide player and not a striker.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

NWhammer wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:49 pm The superb cross for Zouma and whatever that was when through 1v1 is why Antonio is a wide player and not a striker.
Did Antonio play wide today? Or did he achieve that cross drifting wide from a central position?
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:55 pm Did Antonio play wide today? Or did he achieve that cross drifting wide from a central position?
It was from a set piece, trouble is if he plays central and drifts wide nobody else is in the box.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

I know it's a friendly tonight,but you can see the lack of firepower in the final third and how we are crying out for a natural quality striker.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Seems like Downes was flying about the place!

Coventry seemed more composed.

Antonio another assist from the left. One on One was pretty terrible though and he knows it!
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

The defending and at times goalkeeping I’ve seen in the highlight videos from all 3 of our pre-season friendlies so far have been as rank as they were for large periods of last season.

All 3 of our goals we scored across both games last night however were good finishes. Very encouraging the 2 youngsters who came the closest to breaking into the first team squad last season, Ashby and Chesters, were involved for the 2nd goal at Ipswich. I was always surprised Benrahma hasn’t attempted to take freekick a for us more often. Did he take them on a regular basis at Brentford?

Antonio should’ve buried at least 1 of those chances last night. Particularly that last 1 in the highlights video. It is a friendly though. I’d rather he missed those type of chances now instead of when it matters.

It’s great Oggy finally managed to get some minutes under his belt. However, slightly concerning he hasn’t had many minutes with just 25 days until the season kicks-off and with Diop likely to leave we only have Zouma, who picked up some injuries last season, Dawson, who was missing himself last night and Aguerd who has no Premier League experience.

Pleased to see Downes has already got some minutes with his new teammates. :newthumb:
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

I went to the Borehamwood game as it’s a ground I have never been to and what a nice little set up they have.
Good to see a lot of youngsters play and I thought they all did well ,Lanzini was tidy as was Benny ,unfortunately the worse players on the team last night was the rest of the seniors ,Randolph,Diop and Arthur ,also good to see Oggy back.
Declan turned up and was mobbed by the fans and had plenty of time with the fans,special note to Kevin Nolan who chatted to us before the game and took time after the game to sign autographs and have photos done, a credit to the club .
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Oldun wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:53 am I went to the Borehamwood game as it’s a ground I have never been to and what a nice little set up they have.
Good to see a lot of youngsters play and I thought they all did well ,Lanzini was tidy as was Benny ,unfortunately the worse players on the team last night was the rest of the seniors ,Randolph,Diop and Arthur ,also good to see Oggy back.
Declan turned up and was mobbed by the fans and had plenty of time with the fans,special note to Kevin Nolan who chatted to us before the game and took time after the game to sign autographs and have photos done, a credit to the club .
You obviously saw a different game to me although I agree Randolph was at fault for the goal. The other senior players were, understandably, more concerned with getting up to match fitness and played well within themselves.

And we could see that most of the kids who played have got the technique and the footballing intelligence needed but what they haven't got yet was exposure to proper "grown men" football and they will only get that by playing against opposition like they faced last night. Many times I saw players try little tricks which they would probably pull off at Under 23 level but which didn't work last night. One of the reasons I believe getting them out on loan ASAP would enable them to add "nous" to their game to put alongside the raw ability which most of them seem to have.

That said I thought the No 46, who I think was Pierre Ekwah, was the standout among the youngsters and looked, on the evidence of last night, to be the one most likely to next make a step up.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Kermit wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:51 am You obviously saw a different game to me although I agree Randolph was at fault for the goal. The other senior players were, understandably, more concerned with getting up to match fitness and played well within themselves.

And we could see that most of the kids who played have got the technique and the footballing intelligence needed but what they haven't got yet was exposure to proper "grown men" football and they will only get that by playing against opposition like they faced last night. Many times I saw players try little tricks which they would probably pull off at Under 23 level but which didn't work last night. One of the reasons I believe getting them out on loan ASAP would enable them to add "nous" to their game to put alongside the raw ability which most of them seem to have.

That said I thought the No 46, who I think was Pierre Ekwah, was the standout among the youngsters and looked, on the evidence of last night, to be the one most likely to next make a step up.
That’s why it’s all about opinions,I really thought Diop was poor especially and yes Ekwah is a beast in midfield.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Although only a meaningless pre season game... that Antonio 1v1 is shocking.

I wouldn't be happy seeing my top striker do that in training, in a warm up, in a friendly or in a real game.

He should have even more composure in a meaningless game.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Mullhull wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:56 pm Seems like Downes was flying about the place!
New John Moncur / Martin Allen

Flynn Dowens wooooo
Flynn Dowens wooooo
He thinks he's faaakin ard
He'll get a yellow card
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

sutts07 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:53 pm New John Moncur / Martin Allen

Flynn Dowens wooooo
Flynn Dowens wooooo
He thinks he's faaakin ard
He'll get a yellow card
I bloody well hope he doesn't prove to be the next Allen or Moncur. I prefer it when we play XI v XI.

At least unless it's the other lot who get someone red carded of course.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

My two main takeaways from watching the highlights we've just posted on Youtube:

1. Played a very high line at one point and got very easily caught out with a simple ball between Zouma and Alese. Think it came from a set piece Ipswich had so maybe a bit of a mitigating factor about how far the two were up the pitch, but it was way too easy. That said, Alese is absolutely rapid and made it back to the striker before he took a shot.

2. Ashby (I think, wearing 50?) slapped a drive against the post in the second half and boy howdy does he have a right foot on him!

Oh, actually a third one:

3. Playing these two friendlies at the same time really highlights how thin our squad is. We had five subs listed in that Ipswich game, none of them were notable even from a 'rated youngster' kind of way. It's not a major issue - there aren't a lot of clubs capable of naming two decent first elevens and benches at the same time without calling on the youngsters - but the complete lack of personnel is a bit more of the point I'm making.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

YorksHammer wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:38 pm 3. Playing these two friendlies at the same time really highlights how thin our squad is. We had five subs listed in that Ipswich game, none of them were notable even from a 'rated youngster' kind of way. It's not a major issue - there aren't a lot of clubs capable of naming two decent first elevens and benches at the same time without calling on the youngsters - but the complete lack of personnel is a bit more of the point I'm making.
We also didn't have Rice, Aguerd, Areola, Vlasic, Coufal, Soucek, and Bowen in either squad don't forget.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

A couple of observations I made watching the highlights of this really just served to tell me what I already knew:

1. Antonio is far better on the left than through the centre. There was a couple of 1v1/through on goal moments there where he never looked like scoring. Compare to that lovely chip over to Zouma for the goal.

2. Cresswell getting caught at the backpost and easily outjumped for a close ranged headed goal yet again.

Lovely driven shot by Ashby onto the post leading to goal 2 though.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:42 pm We also didn't have Rice, Aguerd, Areola, Vlasic, Coufal, Soucek, and Bowen in either squad don't forget.
No Ben Johnson too
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Kermit wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:51 am You obviously saw a different game to me although I agree Randolph was at fault for the goal. The other senior players were, understandably, more concerned with getting up to match fitness and played well within themselves.

You are correct..video confirmed 46 was Ekwah.
Thanks for the feedback.
👍
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

YorksHammer wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:38 pm Playing these two friendlies at the same time really highlights how thin our squad is.
Yeah, we’re gonna struggle playing 2 games a day whilst our internationals are off playing international football. :crylol:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:42 pm We also didn't have Rice, Aguerd, Areola, Vlasic, Coufal, Soucek, and Bowen in either squad don't forget.
True, hadn't really factored that into my thinking when I posted.

I wonder if there's a feeling the 'odd' youngsters gain from these situations - like the five sat on the bench at Ipswich, for example, are they gaining insight into how to prep for a match, say? I suppose it ultimately serves a purpose in that way.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

LeonRivers wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:30 pm Yeah, we’re gonna struggle playing 2 games a day whilst our internationals are off playing international football. :crylol:
International football? The poor old chap is getting confused again, bless him.