US Presidential Election 2024

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2048 likes

US Presidential Election 2024

Post by Shabu »

I know it's a couple of years away but they'll start campaigning later this year, especially on the Republican side as they'll all be fighting each other to take trumps place. Meanwhile we'll have to see if trump decides to run or does a Sarah Palin. A decade ago she toured the country in a bus covered in the American Declaration of Independence, giving speeches & taking millions in donations. But she never actually declared herself in the race, she just alluded to it to rake in donations. Smart move.

trump did the same thing AFTER he lost the last election and took in hundreds of millions from people desperate to 'save America'.

But there's an intriguing head to head brewing now between the progressive Lefty Governor of California, Gavin Newsom (aged 54) and the former trump protege but now head of the post trump ultra Right wing group and Governor of Florida Ron DeSantis (aged 43). These two men are about as far apart as two mainstream politicians could be. Both politically & geographically.

DeSantis is definitely going to run for President. I'm not sure who the other Republicans will be but they'll be plenty as Biden is easily beatable.

Not sure about Newsom. As much as I am grateful to Biden for defeating trump, he was never my first choice, rather my last from the candidates at the time. It's painful to listen to him nowadays & we need leaders a little younger than almost 80 (just look at the Tories running for PM now). So I do expect one or two Democrats to challenge him, with Newsom being one of them.

If these two end up being the ones running for President we'll definitely see just how far apart the two sides of America are nowadays.

It'll be Science, Environment, Equality, Progressiveness, Healthcare, Climate, Slightly Higher Taxes against Guns, God, America Kicks Ass, White Christian Men Rule, Smaller Government, Slightly Lower Taxes.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/0 ... 4-00044128
Last edited by Shabu on Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
WCpete
Has liked: 1464 likes
Total likes: 3152 likes

Re: US Presidential Election 2022

Post by WCpete »

Ugh. I’m not ready. It’ll be DeSantis v somebody.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:37 am Ugh. I’m not ready. It’ll be DeSantis v somebody.
You never know. The last three Presidents (including Biden) were nowhere near being front runners when their parties campaigning started.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

I'll be simply AMAZED if TrumpleThinSkin isn't on the Republican ticket again..
His ego won't not let him.. he's not done with ruining America.. for his own gain..
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Re: US Presidential Election 2024

Post by last.caress »

I don't know if Trump will get back into the White House, if he'll run again or even if he'd win the GOP nomination; but I believe, balls to bones, that if he DOES win a second term, he'll devote his time in the Oval Office to devising a means by which he'll never be required to leave again.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Nikki Haley becomes the 2nd person to run for the Republican nomination, trump being the first.

She was the Governor of South Carolina twice & worked for trump when he was president. Her parents emigrated to America from India & she very much downplayed her ethnicity early on in her political career. I can see why if you're from the South. But now it's going to be a big part of her campaign to try to get a different group voting for her.

Going to be interesting to see how the Republican candidates deal with trump. Do they go full frontal against him & risk losing his hardcore supporters or do they just ignore him & hope for the best?
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2231 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Shabu wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:21 pm Nikki Haley becomes the 2nd person to run for the Republican nomination, trump being the first.

She was the Governor of South Carolina twice & worked for trump when he was president. Her parents emigrated to America from India & she very much downplayed her ethnicity early on in her political career. I can see why if you're from the South. But now it's going to be a big part of her campaign to try to get a different group voting for her.

Going to be interesting to see how the Republican candidates deal with trump. Do they go full frontal against him & risk losing his hardcore supporters or do they just ignore him & hope for the best?
Hadn't spotted this before....and noted first post from last July about RDS definitely going for it. Still think that's the case? He's still young enough to wait a bit....and is bound to be at least a bit worried what Trump could do in terms of splitting the vote/forcing a Rep civil war?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Loftyhammer wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:07 pm Hadn't spotted this before....and noted first post from last July about RDS definitely going for it. Still think that's the case? He's still young enough to wait a bit....and is bound to be at least a bit worried what Trump could do in terms of splitting the vote/forcing a Rep civil war?
I think Di Santis definitely runs. He's very high in the polls now running as the new face of anti-woke/new maga etc. Who knows if he'll still be popular in 4 years from now. Things change just like that.

And I think he'd probably beat Biden as people are worried about the president being 85 and still in office.

As for trump, who the f*ck knows what he's going to do. Even he doesn't know. His main factor is power & money so if he can't get the power he'll go after the money.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy has thrown his hat in the Republican candidate ring.

Only 37, a self made man running on the anti woke ticket.

Imagine if both the UK & US both had conservative, Indian heritage, Hindu leaders at the same time. Quite the achievement.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/2 ... 4-00083903
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Of the three Republicans who have announced they are running for President, two are the offspring of Indian immigrants and the other is trump, whose mum was Scottish.

There's definitely a connection there :chin:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

trumps campaign used a photoshopped image to falsely claim Nikki Haley is supporting him in 2024.

It was sent to people in Iowa, specifically women over the age of 45. Haley was in Iowa on the day they were sent out. Clever stuff.

Except that the image looks like something I used to make back in the early 90s :lol:

https://news.yahoo.com/donald-trump-usi ... 00986.html
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Is Kanye West running for this one?

Sounds like the most mentally stable of the lot.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

The little battles have begun.

Desantis is promoting his book "The Courage To Be Free" at book stores across America, well Florida.

trump supporters are turning up & being told to leave so they're calling Desantis "anti free speech", which he is but for different reasons than that.

Then trump fires little shots on his personal insult platform.

It's going to be an amusing year seeing if trump's Republican opponents stoop to his level. If they do they look petty, if they don't they look weak.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 91614.html
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

The American illusion of democracy is as nauseating as it is laughable.

Do we really need to sit through 18 months of constant updates for this? It's bad enough when BBC news splash it on their front page online.

Can I not just be told who the winner is once it's over, like for every other country whose elections I'm not eligible to vote in?
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

Trumpists are angry all the time, aren't they? Motivated entirely by hatred. You never see a happy Trumpist. You see a few spaced out Trumpists, but they're more up the Jesus4Trump end of the scale. And they do a fair bit of gloating of course, when they perceive their "side" to have won something, or when they perceive their opponents to have lost something. But that's as close to happy as Trumpists ever get.

Just like Trump, I suppose.
sword
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by sword »

Trump supporters = Trumpets. Loud, harsh, abrasive.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I hope it will be Meghan Markel. I defo think she should throw her hat in the ring. Imagine her and Harry on an official visit to Great Britain and we have to lay the red carpet out to the President of the world's only super power, lay on a banquet at Buck House in their honour and all the glitz that goes with it , whilst Charles, who has just chucked him out of Frogmore, Kate and Wills have to suck up to them.both too. I'll have some of that
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 940 likes
Total likes: 483 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:30 am I hope it will be Meghan Markel. I defo think she should throw her hat in the ring. Imagine her and Harry on an official visit to Great Britain and we have to lay the red carpet out to the President of the world's only super power, lay on a banquet at Buck House in their honour and all the glitz that goes with it , whilst Charles, who has just chucked him out of Frogmore, Kate and Wills have to suck up to them.both too. I'll have some of that
would be interesting to see what she'd do to the Southpark writers. :crylol:
delbert
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by delbert »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:30 am I hope it will be Meghan Markel. I defo think she should throw her hat in the ring. Imagine her and Harry on an official visit to Great Britain and we have to lay the red carpet out to the President of the world's only super power, lay on a banquet at Buck House in their honour and all the glitz that goes with it , whilst Charles, who has just chucked him out of Frogmore, Kate and Wills have to suck up to them.both too. I'll have some of that
To maintain her all important privacy she could enter the race incognito, she could be The Masked Presidential Candidate, a bit like The Masked Singer but without the ridiculous panel and yawn fest program.....
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 940 likes
Total likes: 483 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

delbert wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:52 am To maintain her all important privacy she could enter the race incognito, she could be The Masked Presidential Candidate, a bit like The Masked Singer but without the ridiculous panel and yawn fest program.....
:newthumb:
They could hold a 'Point Break' style surf-off while wearing ex-president masks, or parachute jump - who can wait the longest to pull the cord, type of knockout thing.

Would make the election bloody interesting. Might even pique sendo's interest. :crylol: