PSF: Glasgow Rangers 3-1 West Ham Utd (19/7/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Re: ⚽ Glasgow Rangers v West Ham United: match thread

Post by Ironing Board »

The Rangers keeper made it hard for Antonio. Wasn't a terrible miss by any means.
jimmy666
Has liked: 264 likes
Total likes: 150 likes

Post by jimmy666 »

Can't comment on the first half as I was still in the cab from Preston to Glasgow going at supersonic speed, however despite all the odds and being stuck at Preston for four hours until half six, I did get there for the second half.

From what I saw Rangers played their usual game, and we were playing like the usual dross from the SPL they have to play against, sitting back not really going for it. There did seem a bit of enthusiasm for the last 15 mins maybe, but we just seemed sloppy and lethargic and of course Antonio sent his chances wide as usual. Bowen and Vlasic looked like they were happy to run at the defence which was positive and the new lad got involved and tracked back well for a good defensive tackle. Disappointing result, but there was a good atmosphere and great interaction between the fans including a great chorus of bubbles on the subway after the game from both sets of fans.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 363 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:33 am The Rangers keeper made it hard for Antonio. Wasn't a terrible miss by any means.
It was a typical miss though, Antonio rarely if ever scores those. Two last season that Berahma put on a plate for him in a similar position had the same result for instance.

Encouraged by Moyes post match, disappointed with the performance. It was the same team, same players making the same errors.

On the positive side, Bowen comes out of that game with a lot of credit, Soucek too, many others a lot less.

Fingers crossed for Aguerd
norse
Has liked: 380 likes
Total likes: 838 likes

Post by norse »

I know I'll be called out as a knicker wetter since results, injuries and confidence building don't count in preseason; they were a much better team on the day, found the weaknesses easily and exploited them.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I usually find Antonio more often than not misses the chances when he has time to think. He’s better off when he has less time to think and has to get a shot away. Fornals is another who falls into that category. That’s not a dig at either player. Just an observation over the last season.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

On the plus side, I've seen us look utterly crap before in the last games of pre-season and then look like a completely different team on the first day of the season.
martin allen fan club
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by martin allen fan club »

Very very very poor from the west ham players not coming over to the kids at the front and chucking them there shirts ffs . That journey was horrendous for many and the game dreadful . The fans was the only plus there with the bonding we had up there . There was poor kids no older than 4 or 5 on shoulders with signs to players and they didnt have the decency to lob them there 50quid shirt for the kids memories .

Football is done for me

Oh and that ****ing drummer completely ruined the banter for west ham the constant bang bang bang when the crowd was silent watching the game . . They need banning at every game the c@nts
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

jimmy666 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:44 am I was still in the cab from Preston to Glasgow.
WTF! :crossed:
How much did that set you back?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 800 likes
Total likes: 3015 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Rangers were a good fortnight ahead of us in terms ot pre season preparations, fitter, sharper, and frankly we were stuffed.

The areas of the pitch we struggled in were obvious, and those were exaggerated due to the difference in fitness.

The major blow was the Aguerd injury, closely followed by how easily they worked out our weak spots.

Lingard should not be a prority, a left back is of greater need. Cresswell has been brilliant for us, but he needs to be the no,2 there now not the starter.
Nice to bump in to loads off of here, loyal supporters,

Reckon around 25,000 in total last night, maybe 30,000 tops,

There for the West Ham
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4383 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The positives out of that were that Soucek looked refreshed and energetic, Bowen played well, Johnson did a good job on kent in the first half and Downes looks like he'll definitely be useful.

The negatives were the left side of the defence, which was horrendous all night - even worse than usual with botched control, miscued clearances, ****ed up headers and that's before we even look at left back.

The balance in the front 6 wasn't quite right either , and whilst Antonio did a decent job leading the line and connecting play, he is not putting enough 1 on 1s in the net. Always expect some to be missed/saved, but that one last night was in an ideal position.

Ogbonna's fitness is critical , while our attack should start with only one of Lanzini, Fornals, Vlasic and Benrahma.

People doing the recruitment need to get their backsides into gear.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

For me the game turned on two key moments:

1) Antonio through on goal but never looked likely to score (great ball from Fournals by the way), and
2) Cresswell error for first goal. He got nowhere near the ball and showed poor judgement.

A third moment, although not pivotal, was Dec’s rash challenge. He was having an off night and perhaps should not have started the second half. He didn’t look happy from the start and agree with others perhaps he was Ill. He looked frustrated too. He’s allowed the occasional mare.

Overall, good runout, some positives as others have said, but a reminder to the coaching team plenty to do, and the recruitment team surely already know their challenge.

👍🇨🇿
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:33 am Wasn't a terrible miss by any means.
Dude. Come on.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Cresswell and Fab are relegation level players at this point. I'd go as far as to say that both of them are hitting 'washed up' territory now.

Fantastic players for us over the course of their time with us, but time waits for no man.

Call it a meaningless friendly all you want, but it's yet another game where they were exposed for their inability to be able to do the basics.
flaneur
Has liked: 182 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by flaneur »

jimmy666 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:44 am Can't comment on the first half as I was still in the cab from Preston to Glasgow going at supersonic speed,
I'm hoping this is an autocorrect of Prestwick!

That wasn't great but Moyes has used it to signal loud and dear to our beloved owners that money needs to be spent.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:33 am The Rangers keeper made it hard for Antonio. Wasn't a terrible miss by any means.
By standing in front of him?
Are you expecting top level keepers to move out of the way for Antonio?

It was a terrible miss and one that could be the difference between a point or two in a premier league game.
His first touch was a bit too heavy, he was far too close to the keeper by the time he shot and it was a hit and hop effort at best.
Absolutely zero composure in any of it.

He had a 1v1 in the Reading game and totally screwed it up too.

I don't want to dig the guy out because he is not a natural striker, but you can't waste these kind of chances at the level we are now at.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1970 likes
Total likes: 1654 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:55 am For me the game turned on two key moments:

1) Antonio through on goal but never looked likely to score (great ball from Fournals by the way), and
2) Cresswell error for first goal. He got nowhere near the ball and showed poor judgement.

cut and paste this for pretty every/every other game for the foreseable future and we can save ourselves and our keyboard a lot of wear and tear..

:crylol: :crylol: :crylol:
Odessa
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

One thing I learned from last night was where the Holmsdale lot got their inspiration and a couple of songs from. A ticket in that part of the ground with flags waving throughout the entire game should be described as restricted view.
jimmy666
Has liked: 264 likes
Total likes: 150 likes

Post by jimmy666 »

LeonRivers wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:53 am WTF! :crossed:
How much did that set you back?
£350 between 4 of us, so 90 quid for me and I was the only one going to the game. Fair play to the cabbie, got me there in two hours... I don't want to know his average speed... I will be sending the bill to Avanti as there were a good 75/100 people still to get sorted in Preston and that was at half six.

A rather more sedate morning took in a tour of Ibrox, so all in all gash performance and result, cost and stress aside it was well worth persevering with the journey for me!
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Rangers were a yard quicker all over the pitch, we didn't look as fit as them. Which is strange considering the stick the SPL gets...
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

rossmundo wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:53 pm Rangers were a yard quicker all over the pitch, we didn't look as fit as them. Which is strange considering the stick the SPL gets...
Rangers started their preseason a fortnight before we did.