PSF: Glasgow Rangers 3-1 West Ham Utd (19/7/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Re: ⚽ Glasgow Rangers v West Ham United: match thread

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Glad I didn’t pay to watch that!

It’s only a friendly, f*** it. I thought we rarely got out of 2nd gear.m
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Yolo wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:39 pm That was just as good as a feared.
Downes and Aguerd can't cover the problems.

Cresswell and Johnson in particular were just awful.
Without better fullbacks even Broja won't help us much
What tripe. The team is a few weeks behind Rangers so it is normal to struggle against them. RFC and Van Bronckhorst are no mugs.
Last edited by Ironing Board on Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Check me out getting my video analysed.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:36 pm Do any of us actually know this to be the case? Sounds like media hot air.
Unless I’m missing something, literally no one knows this to be the case and I’m unsure why this keeps being said.

The club gave Soucek a new contract to sign when his contract wasn’t up for a number of years and there was no urgent need to extend. Soucek wanted a higher wage to agree to signing onto a longer contract that would keep him here past his chance for a big payday when he was already tied down. That’s literally it. Not unreasonable for the club to ask for more time, not unreasonable for Soucek to ask for more money in exchange. I don’t see anymore in it than this.
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Learn more in defeat than victory.

Good run out, exposed on the left side (no change) and on the break (no change).

Of the subs, I thought Downes looked tidy as did Vlasic. Diop should be retained.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

I did think Fab was a bit slow to react to the first two goals mind.
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:46 pm I did think Fab was a bit slow to react to the first two goals mind.
Third one looked like it went through him.
Yolo
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Yolo »

Garry wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:39 pm No that's wrong you only die once you live every day.
:heart:
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Excellent work out that. Rangers really tested us, which is what we need. Proved where we are unfit (particularly Rice) and in need of fresh blood. Lets not kid ourselves, Rangers are a good side. Only downside was Aguard's injury. Whatever the diagnosis he will miss a few games at the start, hopefully no more.

Having said all of that, I love this thread (match) and transfer one. Really makes me laugh out loud. A real blokes pub banter talking 90% utter bo**ocks.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:46 pm I did think Fab was a bit slow to react to the first two goals mind.
You would think Areola is due a runout.
Yolo
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Yolo »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:52 pm Excellent work out that. Rangers really tested us, which is what we need. Proved where we are unfit (particularly Rice) and in need of fresh blood. Lets not kid ourselves, Rangers are a good side. Only downside was Aguard's injury. Whatever the diagnosis he will miss a few games at the start, hopefully no more.

Having said all of that, I love this thread (match) and transfer one. Really makes me laugh out loud. A real blokes pub banter talking 90% utter bo**ocks.
Bollox
Mosterhammer
Has liked: 1134 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Mosterhammer »

Rangers play really well. Barca like from Van Bronchorst. Playing the triangles and moving really well for eachother. I found myself gjetting really irritated, just like when we played against Frankfurt. It's not that we have bad tactics, It's that we don't have any tactics. Some of the players press high and some don't. The distance between defence-midfield-antonio is huge.
So tired of watching us lose against teams we are better than player for player.
MAC08
Has liked: 42 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by MAC08 »

Probably a blessing in disguise. Shows clear areas needed for improvement. The only downside is that these were the same positions we knew needed to be filled. New signing yes but means we will probably have to write off August fixtures already just to get them settled
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

If we're going to make rash judgements based on a pre-season friendly then I want to join in.

I think we should sell Rice as we looked better when he went off.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Mosterhammer wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:04 pm Rangers play really well. Barca like from Van Bronchorst. Playing the triangles and moving really well for eachother. I found myself gjetting really irritated, just like when we played against Frankfurt. It's not that we have bad tactics, It's that we don't have any tactics. Some of the players press high and some don't. The distance between defence-midfield-antonio is huge.
So tired of watching us lose against teams we are better than player for player.
I admit, this does annoy me... we play against most teams like we're the underdog. We need to start playing like we're better.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Pre- season but we looked lethargic and Bowen apart pretty toothless. Both Antonio and Cresswell have looked like players past their best so far, maybe they’ll improve but they look as though all the rumours we are looking at bringing in new blood are justified. Fab’s reactions a bit slow too ? Declan looked rusty by his standards.
Let’s hope Aguerd injury isn’t too serious, his recovery tackle was impressive, early days but he looks class. Thought Vlasic looked better and Soucek determined, Diop needs to stay as Oggys absence starts to suggest he’s some way off, if indeed he’ll get back.
Not our best night, a wake up call and further confirmation we need 3 or 4 new faces.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

I guess one slight positive is that many more preseason games like that will taper the expectation that we should he challenging top 4 with another couple of signings.
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

he must be a knee jerking knicker wetting idiot...

IT'S ONLY PRE SEASON DAVID....it doesn't mean anything and it's just an exercise in fitness..

:winker:
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

I know it's only a pre-season friendly but that's no excuse for playing so badly. Or do the players think "It's not a real game, lets play sht"? Because they did. This is a team of talented pros who train most days, not a pub team of fat, out of condition builders. I'm not bothered about the result but I am bothered about the slow, negative play again and lack of creativity. If anyone saw any real positives apart from so and so was ok or it was a good workout, then I'd like to hear it.
Last edited by Hamburger on Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.