PSF: Glasgow Rangers 3-1 West Ham Utd (19/7/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Re: ⚽ Glasgow Rangers v West Ham United: match thread

Post by waynepin »

I thought diop and zouma looked a decent pairing, Downes looked promising as did Vlassic, we looked slow going forwards except Bowen and looking for a free kick / corner as our best hope of scoring. Rangers looked a yard quicker all over
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:03 pm Rangers started their preseason a fortnight before we did.
That's a load of old b*llocks, they should have the enough in the tank to make a game of it. Ot if that's the case then don't play teams like that then in pre season who are apparently according to you weeks fitter. We were an embarrassment for 65 minutes, I feel for the fans who travelled to watch that ****.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

rossmundo wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:25 pm That's a load of, they should have the enough in the tank to make a game of it. Ot if that's the case then don't play teams like that then in pre season who are apparently according to you weeks fitter. We were an embarrassment for 65 minutes, I feel for the fans who travelled to watch that ****.
Fitness levels are not “old b*llocks.” There’s a reason athletes train to peak at certain times.
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:42 pm Fitness levels are not “old b*llocks.” There’s a reason athletes train to peak at certain times.
Do the players not go away with summer fitness plans???
It's 2022 not 1985, when the players used come back to training with beer bellies. I don't think the same excuse would be used if we won 3 nil do you?
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

rossmundo wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:20 pm Do the players not go away with summer fitness plans???
It's 2022 not 1985, when the players used come back to training with beer bellies. I don't think the same excuse would be used if we won 3 nil do you?
I actually heard some interesting theories about Rangers’ remarkable fitness levels last season, but put it down to partisanship.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:51 pm I actually heard some interesting theories about Rangers’ remarkable fitness levels last season, but put it down to partisanship.
They haven’t all got “asthma” like the Liverpool squad have they?
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:52 pm They haven’t all got “asthma” like the Liverpool squad have they?
Something like that!
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Showed that we would have walked the Europa League final. 😂😂
Erskine

Post by Erskine »

Skandi Brudson wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:27 pm I wouldn’t worry about it. This means more to them than it does to us.
Really, so the Hammers don't play to win games? Your comment's a bit patronising. Every side likes to put on a performance in games, friendly or not.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

It always means more to the smaller team from a weaker league. Only a training exercise for us.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Skandi Brudson wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:57 am It always means more to the smaller team from a weaker league. Only a training exercise for us.
That is very patronising mate and I bet there's not one Rangers fan that would agree that there a 'smaller team'.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Erskine wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:48 am Really, so the Hammers don't play to win games? Your comment's a bit patronising. Every side likes to put on a performance in games, friendly or not.
Patronising or not, the game clearly meant a lot more to Rangers than it did West Ham. Certainly on the pitch.
The levels between the two were miles apart.

Not saying that is a good thing, I'd have preferred to have seen West Ham take it far more seriously, but the fact is, they didn't. Our lot were absolutely coasting, I don't think we made a single tackle of note.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

On the basis that 'friendlies' have no bearing on League or Cup then often a loss can tell you more than a win in these situations. A win can paper over deficiencies whereas a loss results (often) in a more critical analysis and action. Also, we are not travelling around the world on a glorified marketing jaunt.
Erskine

Post by Erskine »

:tune:
Skandi Brudson wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:57 am It always means more to the smaller team from a weaker league. Only a training exercise for us.
Rangers smaller than West Ham?
:grin:
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1330 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Erskine wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:30 am :tune:
Rangers smaller than West Ham?
:grin:
Huge global fan base, one of the biggest globally, but dwarfed financially, they’re excited at breaking £90m revenue last season after the Europa final, we are double that. You can see why they and Celtic envy the Premier League.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

West Ham v Rangers in terms of 'club size' is an interesting one.

If we look at European success, we have both won the cup winners cup... and that is it... how credible are the countless titles they have in what is largely viewed as a two team league?

Socios.com estimated West Ham's global fan base to be around 40m (which seems insane to me) and Rangers are estimated to have closer to 10m.

If you look at social media followers (obviously not the ultimate gauge, but indicative), WHU have 2.3m followers on Twitter, Rangers have just 731k. That is a huge difference.

West Ham have a far bigger stadium, a far bigger budget and via the Premier League, get far more global exposure. So maybe it isn't so laughable to say that West Ham are bigger. I can't imagine any player choosing to go and play for Rangers over West Ham given the option.
Erskine

Post by Erskine »

1895Hammer wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:36 am Huge global fan base, one of the biggest globally, but dwarfed financially, they’re excited at breaking £90m revenue last season after the Europa final, we are double that. You can see why they and Celtic envy the Premier League.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. It's an accident of history that a UK League was never formed very early on. With what we've got it means Rangers and Celtic are two massive Clubs, for all intents and purposes, marooned in the SPFL. There's nothing to be done about that so we just have to get on with it and make the best of it.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Glasgow Rangers ..a smaller team than west ham..you really should read the history books and see what happens when football becomes a religion.If Rangers were in the premiere league receiving the same TV money as us, they would be head and shoulders above West Ham.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:18 am Patronising or not, the game clearly meant a lot more to Rangers than it did West Ham. Certainly on the pitch.
The levels between the two were miles apart.

Not saying that is a good thing, I'd have preferred to have seen West Ham take it far more seriously, but the fact is, they didn't. Our lot were absolutely coasting, I don't think we made a single tackle of note.
Nayef Aguerd says 'Hello'
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

rossmundo wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:25 pm That's a load of old b*llocks, they should have the enough in the tank to make a game of it. Ot if that's the case then don't play teams like that then in pre season who are apparently according to you weeks fitter. We were an embarrassment for 65 minutes, I feel for the fans who travelled to watch that ****.
I don't.
Of course it would have been nice to win but anyone expecting a level of competitiveness probably shouldn't go to friendlies. It's always been that way and probably always will.
This result means as much as our thrashing of Celtic last season.
Nothing.