The Rings of Power TV Series (LoTR Universe)

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Re: The Rings of Power TV Series (LoTR Universe)

Post by WCpete »

I'll save you the time. This isn't the best thing ever. :winker:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WCpete wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:47 pm I'll save you the time. This isn't the best thing ever. :winker:
to be brutally honest Pete, it's like one of those films you've invested time in, hoping against hope that it gets better. you've put a lot of time in (bit like watching us lately :crylol: ) and you've thought "well I've wasted this amount of time, I might as well keep on..." but it usually never works.

you know, I'm sure a load of us have had an old banger. something goes wrong you spend money putting it right. something else goes wrong and you invest a few more quid in it. then something else goes, you think, "hell I've stuck a lot of money in this, it would be foolish to give up now."

then something else goes and you are like, "this is like a black hole in space, it's just sucking up money and things aren't getting better."

so you bin it off.

I'm almost at that point. I REALLY wanted it to be worthwhile but I'm feeling let down BIG time, and this next episode is make or break, and I've a feeling it's break.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

We're halfway through the season so i'll probably stick it out til then. That'll probably do it for me though, unless there's a breathtaking turnaround in form in the next few episodes. They've made Galadriel so unlikable that I think don't think there's any possibility of redemption for her which in itself is ridiculous because at no point in any of the books is she a shrill, angry, entitled jerk. She's quite the opposite. The decision to portray her as this hateful brat is a massive head scratcher.
On a tangent, I heard this last week and noticed it in the last episode... have you noticed that most of the orcs are wearing a kind of white face? These show makers really are silly people.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

3 episodes in, I'm struggling with it. I have no reference as I have not read the books so I am taking it purely as a viewing spectacle, and expected a lot more. Will give it 1, maybe 2 more episodes before I am out.

The bloke that landed near the p***** and is now walking with them, if he doesn't do or say anything reasonable next episode I am throwing something at the TV...
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

WCpete wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:44 am
On a tangent, I heard this last week and noticed it in the last episode... have you noticed that most of the orcs are wearing a kind of white face? These show makers really are silly people.
Isn’t that sunblock as they are still very sensitive to the sun?
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

I just re-watched the first episode and found it more watchable than the first time. I still found Galadriels transformation into a formidable warrior princess rather stupid, let's be honest they didn't need the Company of the Ring when she found it far easier to defeat a troll than they did - just send her to Mordor solo!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I have the latest one. or at least the latest one available to watch, and I just thought "I am not really bothered WHEN I watch it, or even if I WILL watch it.."

that's how ambivalent I am about it...

shame, I was looking forward to it.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Thee episodes in. All a bit dull so far. Fell asleep half way through E3. Think I'm going to go back to my fillums.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:22 pm Thee episodes in. All a bit dull so far. Fell asleep half way through E3. Think I'm going to go back to my fillums.
from the reviews on here, you're not alone Guv. bit like Corrie or EastEnders. you could miss loads of episodes, come back and still nothing much has happened.

that's really what it seems like to me. a long lasting soap, hoping that people will get addicted and give it a "can't miss an episode" syndrome.

great cure for insomnia that doesn't involve alcohol.

:crylol:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I'm lost on that one....

:?
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:07 am I'm lost on that one....

:?
The human in the square talking about the elf’s taking their work with their immortality and lack of need to sleep. Was very ‘they took our jobs’
Last edited by wolf359 on Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:36 pmfrom the reviews on here, you're not alone Guv. bit like Corrie or EastEnders. you could miss loads of episodes, come back and still nothing much has happened.
Ditto E4!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

wolf359 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:38 am The human in the square talking about the elf’s taking their work with there immortality and lack of need to sleep. Was very ‘they took our jobs’
ah, haven't reached that one yet, and from the reviews on here, I'm not sure I ever will bother now..

as posted in the THoD thread, that's pretty abysmal too......

think I'll save myself the heartache.

loads of other series to catch up on....
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

wolf359 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:38 am The human in the square talking about the elf’s taking their work with their immortality and lack of need to sleep. Was very ‘they took our jobs’
About the 1 elf on the island who is trying very hard to not be on the island. Lore, no lore, it makes no difference. It's terrible writing and story telling. Embarrassing really. And 'Ouston, I think I've changed my mind and I'm with you now. I think I'm just going to start with HOD and forget this train wreck.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

well I haven't even watched the episode that I downloaded a couple of weeks back and has no desire to watch any more.

judging by the lack of posts here, I figure that I'm not alone and/or those who are persevering don't think enough of it to post.

shame really.

wonder what the numbers of people watching nationwide are ?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... 4012072717

not sure how relevant reviews and/or numbers are because apparently reviews can be "negative bombed" not quite sure hat that means.

but Forbes doesn't seem really impressed.

I'm not either.
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

My missus has bailed after the first 2 episodes so I need to find time to watch it when she has gone to bed and I've got the energy to sit through it late in the evening.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

I am enjoying it. It lacks the charm of TLOTR trilogy and even the Hobbit movies. I think the lack of defined characters via the novels has exposed the limitations of the writers, they've binned off the wit, mysticism and humour in the characters for sword fights which are far easier to write. You've also got to allow for the fact that Peter Jackson is a master story teller as well as a very fine director, the mob on this won't in any way be in his class.
That said its worth a watch.

PS- If I was Bezos I'd be asking questions around where my £1b had been spent though.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Estuary wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:11 pm

PS- If I was Bezos I'd be asking questions around where my £1b had been spent though.
certainly imvho ain't been in the writing or story development.

as stated, I've given up....
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:13 pm certainly imvho ain't been in the writing or story development.

as stated, I've given up....
According to that article you linked earlier they are in it for the long haul so hopefully they will take on board the criticisms but they may lose too many viewers to save it.