The Rings of Power TV Series (LoTR Universe)

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Mullhull
Has liked: 332 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

The Rings of Power TV Series (LoTR Universe)

Post by Mullhull »

I couldn't find a post about this show, please delete if I've duplicated an existing thread!

Ok, so I'm a bit of a LoTR and Middle Earth nerd and once I heard that Amazon were spending big bucks on acquiring the rights to The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, the appendices, and The Hobbit, I was pretty excited.

Largely the appendices are being uses for this new show as the others have been done, the Hobbit you could say was overdone. But we won't go into that here.

So they give us all this beautiful artwork and show the isle of Númenor and the excitement intensifies, they're going to adapt the Second Age of Middle Earth. The forging of the rings of power and The fall of Númenor! Amazing.

Then we hear nothing for a while until recently, where we have been shown exactly how Amazon are going to completely butcher it.

Warrior Galadriel? Anarion & Isildur seemingly before the Rings of Power were even forged? Harfoots (Hobbits) in the second age?

I am not sure if anyone on here is a big nerd for Tolkien but this truly is looking awful, I can only compare it to when the showrunners of GoT run out of books and had to conjure up something themselves off of notes by the author, which they duly ****ed up and made the last 2 seasons of GoT a pile of *****.

Any fans of Tolkien's work on here and what's your opinion of this new show?
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 934 likes

Re: The Rings of Power TV Series (LoTR Universe)

Post by Metal Hammer »

Saw the trailer and thought 'why the f*** are there Hobbits?' if it is based on material from the Silmarillion. I was also under the impression from Tolkiens works that Southrons stayed far apart from the lands that his saga takes place in so disappointed that modern wokeness is impinging on LOTR. (I will still watch it though)
Mullhull

Post by Mullhull »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:40 pm Saw the trailer and thought 'why the **** are there Hobbits?' if it is based on material from the Silmarillion. I was also under the impression from Tolkiens works that Southrons stayed far apart from the lands that his saga takes place in so disappointed that modern wokeness is impinging on LOTR. (I will still watch it though)
I have no idea why there are Hobbits, I'm almost certain they're not even mentioned until the Third Age when they move to Eregion to the place we know as the Shire..

Part in bold they do not have the rights to the Silmarillion... they only have the rights to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (plus its appendices) and the Hobbit.

This entire show is being made from appendices from the Lord of the Rings... which is insane, because there isn't enough there. So Amazon are now running with it being INSPIRED by Tolkien's work.... they're not going to be able to portray it the way Tolkien would and they're basically writing it themselves....

It's going to end in disaster. Worse than the Hobbit films, remember Jackson decided to add a female elf for 'diversity' then had said elf fall in love with a dwarf.... tragic.

But.......of course I'm going to watch it also but I have very little hopes it's any good.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1660 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

iirc Legolas wasn't in The Hobbit. well the book anyway.

nor were Saruman or Galadriel (had to google)

Tauriel either

Fili, Kile died but iirc we didn't know how, their bodies were discovered afterward.

and of course there's NO way that Bilbo actually told Frodo about the story.
One of the more pointless moments in The Hobbit was Elijah Wood’s cameo appearance as Frodo Baggins. It occurred when Bilbo told him a very rough version of his original adventures. Since Tolkien would not write The Lord of the Rings until many years after The Hobbit, Frodo was not even a concept.

these things in general the non apearance of characters in the book but stuck into the film, were to bring box office appeal.

haven't seen the new series, and I think that the producers are not getting people who actually know anything about Tolkien's works, but merely the tv people want to add viewers and sticking the Hobbits and such, are actually doing that.

the people, at that time, I knew went to see Lords of the Rings, expecially the kids I was coaching at the time, weren't aware it was based on a book by Tolkien.

hopefully it led them to pick up a copy the way I did, and become enthralled in the story.

I wouldn't count on it though !!!!!!

:winker:
Mullhull

Post by Mullhull »

Correct Legolas was not in the Hobbit (I don't believe he's even mentioned at the Battle of Five Armies) and Tauriel was created just for the film to have a female character.

The Frodo thing was just another thing added to the films to tie them in with the original LoTR.

With regards to the showrunners, they have got some "Tolkien scholars" in apparently... one of which said Tolkien died in the 70s so we're basically going to not have the same attitudes of his era and we're going to make it for todays audience. But they feel the need to stuff "strong" female characters everywhere. Galadriel the Warrior Princess springs to mind, she didn't fight any battles in the second age she was in Lindon moved around Eregion a bit then went through Moria to Lothlorien.

Funny you should say that, they're releasing a book call the Fall of Numenor to coincide with the series but the content will be taken from multiple sources of Tolkien's work. Something the show cannot do.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote removed.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3195 likes

Post by WCpete »

Even if this is the greatest series in the history of entertainment, and it won't be, I don't see how this whole endeavor will have been worth it to Amazon. They paid $250Mill for the rights to stories in the appendices of LOTR books, but not the Silmarillion, over $1 Billion to produce the series and who knows how much to market it. How many new customers do they think they'll acquire from this? I wouldn't have thought too many.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bit like making a story about Shakespeare's stories but unable to include any of them due to copyright difficulties so you make shyte up.

I guess that now we're going to have to accept we won't be able to watch films that were based on things written a while back, because in the world that they were created, the world wasn't so p.c. so we have to completely re-write characters or invent those who didn't exist so as to be "acceptable."

I seem to remember that when the actress was offered the role of Tauriel, she took it thinking that or having an unwritten agreement that there would be no love interest. but they stuck one in anyway.

at least that spings to mind.

Lilly accepted the role under the condition that her role in The Hobbit would not include a love triangle. When she was called back into production for reshoots following the decision to split the story into three films instead of two, she was told that such a plot device would indeed be added to the story.[15][16]
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

fwiw, I thought The Hobbit film trilogy was awful. They made a huge mistake trying to use the LOTR tone in the Hobbit series. The book was wonderful because it was a kid's book.
Whitters
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but I enjoyed the Hobbit trilogy and the LOTR adaptations so I'm looking forward to this.

It helps no doubt that I'm not so invested in the original source material and lore associated with them so I'm less concerned about how true to Tolkein's vision they are. I did read The Hobbit as a kid and LOTR in adult life but didn't mind at all the additional bits to The Hobbit to flesh it out a bit and the cutting of some of the duller parts of LOTR (Tom Bombadil for example)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Whitters wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:50 am Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but I enjoyed the Hobbit trilogy and the LOTR adaptations so I'm looking forward to this.

It helps no doubt that I'm not so invested in the original source material and lore associated with them so I'm less concerned about how true to Tolkein's vision they are. I did read The Hobbit as a kid and LOTR in adult life but didn't mind at all the additional bits to The Hobbit to flesh it out a bit and the cutting of some of the duller parts of LOTR (Tom Bombadil for example)
HERETIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mullhull

Post by Mullhull »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:03 am I guess that now we're going to have to accept we won't be able to watch films that were based on things written a while back, because in the world that they were created, the world wasn't so p.c. so we have to completely re-write characters or invent those who didn't exist so as to be "acceptable."
But it's a fantasy world, it's whatever the writer imagines, it's not there to reflect the real world, that's why the Lord of the Rings stands the test of time. It's not real, that's the beauty of it. It's effectively neutral to everything.
Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:03 am I seem to remember that when the actress was offered the role of Tauriel, she took it thinking that or having an unwritten agreement that there would be no love interest. but they stuck one in anyway.

at least that spings to mind.

Lilly accepted the role under the condition that her role in The Hobbit would not include a love triangle. When she was called back into production for reshoots following the decision to split the story into three films instead of two, she was told that such a plot device would indeed be added to the story.[15][16]
Ridiculous!
Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:10 pm HERETIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom Bombadil is great, actually one of the most unique characters in the series too.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Mullhull wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:45 pm But it's a fantasy world, it's whatever the writer imagines, it's not there to reflect the real world, that's why the Lord of the Rings stands the test of time. It's not real, that's the beauty of it. It's effectively neutral to everything.

yeah that's fine if they're writing something new, but it "should" be based on at the very worst, what Tolkien had outlined. if it were a completely new concept, then fine, I have no problem with it. as for The Hobbit and LotR, I bet I've read them both at LEAST 5 or 6 (perhaps more) times. it's like going out for a drink with an old mate you haven't seen for ages.

Ridiculous!

:newthumb:

Tom Bombadil is great, actually one of the most unique characters in the series too.

Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 934 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

I bet I've read them both at LEAST 5 or 6 (perhaps more) times. it's like going out for a drink with an old mate you haven't seen for ages.

Apparently Christopher Lee made a point of reading LOTR every year!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Metal Hammer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:10 pm I bet I've read them both at LEAST 5 or 6 (perhaps more) times. it's like going out for a drink with an old mate you haven't seen for ages.

Apparently Christopher Lee made a point of reading LOTR every year!
WOW !!!!!!!

didn't know that, thanks for sharing that snippet.............

Mullhull

Post by Mullhull »

I've watched a lot of the Trailer reaction/analysis videos and oh boy, it's getting burned to the ground.

Dislikes massively outweighing the Likes etc.

This is destined to crash and burn.

I did just get a lot of the Lord of the Rings books on Audible (had a tonne of credits) going to listen to them they're narrated by Andy Serkis.

I'm also going to buy the new Fall of Numenor book once it's released by HarperCollins (everyone is trying to make money from this new series aren't they!)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

obviously I loved The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. I'll see if I can get a copy of the audio books

off the back of them I bought The Silmarillion and I could never get through it. I think that it was historical and had no dialogue to speak of. a hard read for me and I sadly couldn't get it.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

It also had about 20 new characters per page and every character in the book had multiple names. I was beyond confused after a chapter and decided to bail.
Mullhull

Post by Mullhull »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:12 am obviously I loved The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. I'll see if I can get a copy of the audio books

off the back of them I bought The Silmarillion and I could never get through it. I think that it was historical and had no dialogue to speak of. a hard read for me and I sadly couldn't get it.
I've got the Silmarillion too on Audiobook just because I had the credits.
WCpete wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:21 am It also had about 20 new characters per page and every character in the book had multiple names. I was beyond confused after a chapter and decided to bail.
I had the same issue I couldn't get to grips with it, hopefully someone else reading it will have a different affect haha.

Also bought the Sons of Hurin (not entirely sure what this is I have a vague idea) but it's Narrated by the late Sir Christopher Lee aka Saruman.

I have a couple of the other books on my wishlist like the Fall of Gondolin.

Also for those of you who use Audible. If you use TopcashBack and you don't have a subscription running, you can use the £3.99 offer for 3 months + you get £5.95 cashback. Not bad if you ask me that's 3 books for £6.

That's a repeatible offer by the way. After the 3rd month cancel, wait until the sub runs out then repeat.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

There are lots of versions on YouTube for free.
Mullhull

Post by Mullhull »

Full length trailer released last night, any thoughts or opinions?