The Sack Race 2023/2024 - new season, new sackings (PL body count: 1)

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

steps
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Re: The Sack Race 2022/2023

Post by steps »

At least they won’t be singing the Antonio song they nicked from us now.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Delusional,Pretentious,Egotistical,Paranoic,Deceptional,Cheating/Conning.......No not me... :lol:

The Modern Top Level Pro Game these days....this Conte thing is just part of something,whereby Love Island is more in the real world.

But this I can watch and laugh at...
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

The distance between them and the rest of the so called big six (bloody hell) is far wider than the distance between them and us. They're just a Bale, a Kane, and a nicer stadium away from being West Ham. The sort of singings they make are the sort of signings we make, very few (or maybe none) would be made by any of the other big six. Pochettino is a fraud, he threw the Europa League when it looked easier to win it, and got them playing what has become textbook Spurs football for his last nine months: play badly, somehow still win most of the time. Levy backed him with player purchases just as much as he backed Conte.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:13 am Can someone please explain to me what qualifies Tottenham to be a "big 6" club and therefore means they keep getting top level managers to go there (Mourinho, Conte and now Nagelsman/Poch seriously considering them)? Grinds my gears hearing everyone go on about them, all they have is a big shiny new ground, they've won **** all other for the last 15 years+, all they've achieved is coming 3rd in a 2 horse race and losing a Champions League final.

Anyway, happy Monday :rofl:
Because they throw money at their managers - Conte is on £15m a year, Moyes by comparison is on around £4m a year. Spurs are always willing to back their manager, unlike toad of toad hall and also have facilities that are 10x better than ours to show the new man they are professional and mean business ... they are also unfortunately still referred to as a top 6 club whereas we are still labelled also rans
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:11 am Conte knew what he was doing when he did that press conference and he also knew the budget and club he was walking into when he joined. Last summer he was given around £150m to spend and has seemingly brought in crap.

I thought he deserved the sack in all honesty because he clearly thought he was bigger than the club. I hope we never see him again in England as well.

Like you say - he knew what he was doing. He wanted to be sacked. He wanted the pay off.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

pezza20 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:56 am Because they throw money at their managers - Conte is on £15m a year, Moyes by comparison is on around £4m a year. Spurs are always willing to back their manager, unlike toad of toad hall and also have facilities that are 10x better than ours to show the new man they are professional and mean business ... they are also unfortunately still referred to as a top 6 club whereas we are still labelled also rans
And despite all of that, they still cant win anything :crylol:

I for one cant wait for them to be battling to scrape into the Conference League every season soon.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

pezza20 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:56 am they are also unfortunately still referred to as a top 6 club whereas we are still labelled also rans
I mean, you can also count the number of times we've finished in the top 6 in the last decade on one finger whereas for Spurs you'd need both hands..
pezza20

Post by pezza20 »

fmgod wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:43 am Not sure why Levy is getting such a bad wrap to be honest, Tottenham came 4th last year, spent 180 mil on Romero a now World Cup winner, Richliarson Everton's best player, Bissouma one of Brighton's best players, Persic and Lenglet both big money free/loan transfers, Spence was an exciting signing, then add in Porro and Danjuma in Jan, I fail to see really how Conte has been hard done by.
A number of those platers were big fish in a small pond. It sometimes doesn't work out, and to be fair Richarlison has been injured quite a bit but by all accounts has been very good when he has played.

Conte like all Spursy managers, has bought big and failed to deliver big .. even when they have chances of winning something significant they bottle it. They suffer a little from the same issues we do, always getting almost there then falling on our faces.
kenthammer
Has liked: 249 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by kenthammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:45 am Eddie Howe will be pleased; it makes him just a touch more secure up at SJP...as NUFC's chances of top 4 are now strengthening.

Ironically, THFC could end up back in the ECL.
Would love to see them in the ECL next season
greyhairhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by greyhairhammer »

I'm currently in Bari and their team's nickname is translated into English as the cockerels. Seems very apt when connected to Mr Conte and his ex employee.

His hometown of Lecce is known as the Florence of the south. Having been there, I can vouch for it's authenticity. Truly stunning architecture and a beautiful place to stay/visit.

Apologies for the sideway interlude!

Conte and the London cockerels were a marriage made in heaven. Deeply upsetting it ended in divorce. Thought he was doing a magnificent job! 😂
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3022 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I think Conte's lost his bottle.

He tore into his players and employer, an employer who spent as much on his behalf as we spent last year, a tad prematurely I reckon.

Yes, they could finish 7th, but equally they could finish in the top 4.

Levy had to act following Conte's presser, so in many ways Conte has made it easy for Levy. He would have been better off keeping his gob shut. Failure to deliver top 4 would guarantee the chop anyway.

Liverpools next three league games will determine whether they are going to be in the mixer come the end of May.

Assuming they drop out, was Conte really saying he didn't back his squad versus either Newcastles or Brightons ?

I think he has damaged his reputation more than he may have realised.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

He was out of contract end of season so wouldn't have got any pay out if he had left then
By forcing Levy's hand he manages to get some dough in his pocket - and he got what he wanted, which was the sack

Personally I cant see his job prospects being hampered in the long-term. A big club will be sniffing round him again very soon
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:40 pm I think he has damaged his reputation may than he may have realised.
He has a lot going on with a bunch of close friends dying and getting surgery. He's probably in an unusual place mentally. His record speaks for itself though.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1364 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:52 pm He was out of contract end of season so wouldn't have got any pay out if he had left then
By forcing Levy's hand he manages to get some dough in his pocket - and he got what he wanted, which was the sack

Personally I cant see his job prospects being hampered in the long-term. A big club will be sniffing round him again very soon
What’s the betting he’s already sorted something with Inter or Juve? The whole thing all looks a bit contrived, not really costing Spurs anything given he’s a few weeks from contract end date anyway, his back room are looked after until he wants them again in the summer, Conte gets a little break on full money after a difficult personal period and Spurs are seen as doing the right thing after his outburst.
pezza20

Post by pezza20 »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:40 pm I think Conte's lost his bottle.

He tore into his players and employer, an employer who spent as much on his behalf as we spent last year, a tad prematurely I reckon.

Yes, they could finish 7th, but equally they could finish in the top 4.

Levy had to act following Conte's presser, so in many ways Conte has made it easy for Levy. He would have been better off keeping his gob shut. Failure to deliver top 4 would guarantee the chop anyway.

Liverpools next three league games will determine whether they are going to be in the mixer come the end of May.

Assuming they drop out, was Conte really saying he didn't back his squad versus either Newcastles or Brightons ?

I think he has damaged his reputation may than he may have realised.
Pinky Conte's contract ran out end of this season anyway and indeed non top 4 would have meant he would not be retained, get the top 4 and I reckon he would have done.

The rant was ill timed, but actually spot on. Spurs are and will always be Spursy, yellow bellied players when it comes down to the crunch and to be honest if I were Joe Lewis I would also now fire Levy, because his decision making the last 4 years has been atrocious.

I suspect Conte realised the team were **** and he was not going to make top 4, so easiest thing to do as normal was blast everyone.
pezza20

Post by pezza20 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:52 pm He was out of contract end of season so wouldn't have got any pay out if he had left then

They definitely won't be hampered, one of the best managers in the world with a great win record, just couldn't emulate it at Spurs ... shame !!
Pob!
Has liked: 1076 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by Pob! »

I just think Conte had enough..
Contract up poor health dealing with bereavements being away from home and on top of that dealing with the bottle jobs and equally deluded mob at Spurs who can blame him?
In fact he deserves a medal for putting up with them for so long. :D
The Straw
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 1425 likes

Post by The Straw »

I wonder what other managers think of him and the whole 'I need better players' angle. Every manager wants better players. It's a hell of a lot easier if you have a squad of top class players, but sometimes you can't have that and you have to actually coach a team to be better. He evidently can't do that. I have much less respect for managers that have to constantly buy to succeed. Do some ****ing coaching, you're getting paid obscene amounts to do just that.

Still, superb scenes.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

pezza20 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:15 pm
I suspect Conte realised the team were **** and he was not going to make top 4, so easiest thing to do as normal was blast everyone.
But they could easily finish 4th still, which is where they're currently in the table. Liverpool are still floundering, Chelsea are well out of the races, and I think Newcastle are punching above their weight and will probably fall a bit short in the long run. And I definitely can't imagine Brighton finishing top 4, as much as we make them look like 1970s Brazil when we play them.

For all their wobbles, 4th place is/was still Spurs' to lose.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:46 pm But they could easily finish 4th still, which is where they're currently in the table. Liverpool are still floundering, Chelsea are well out of the races, and I think Newcastle are punching above their weight and will probably fall a bit short in the long run. And I definitely can't imagine Brighton finishing top 4, as much as we make them look like 1970s Brazil when we play them.

For all their wobbles, 4th place is/was still Spurs' to lose.
Both Newcastle and Brighton will overtake them if they win their games in hand, plus they play the two of them and Liverpool between now and the end of the season. They could easily end up seventh.