PSF: Luton Town 1-1 West Ham Utd (23/7/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Re: Luton Town vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Kermit »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:16 pm I guess I'm in the minority but thought that Johnson was awful at CB. at least twice he got SO tight to his opponent and was turned easily........

agree, he's not played a lot there, and was really pushed into it by us being short on CB's but sorry not for me...

Arthur was Arthur.

Antonio was Antonio in pre season. was easier to score than miss but he accomplished it "with aplomb" as they say. now he'll more than likely stick 2 past City, such is he..

good to see Tommy back to form, pinged a few nice balls around and a good header for the goal.

in a 5 I honestly can't see where Benni fits in. he looked completely all at sea.

Vlasic looked good again, and was unlucky with that shot the keeper saved and better timing by Mike would have seen an easy tap in.

Covenetry looked the same pre season last year and went out on loan. he's kind of a "tweener" to me, niether one thing or the other. decent kid it seems and a decent player but the PL might be a step too far.

Downes wasn't on long enough to make an impression.

not quite sure to make of Ashby. looked okay but I honestly hope we don't persevere with 3 at the back. doesn't suit us

Zouma was absolutely awful. got beaten easily time and time again, that one where the bloke got in behind and a PL forward Shirley put that away.

no questions answered here really. quite why we never gave Oko Flex minutes I have no idea, or did he come on and I missed it ?

watched the first half, went out and then the 2nd when I got back much later so it was a bit chop and change for me.
I think we were watching the same game mate. For me Antonio has looked like a busted flush since before last Christmas. No coincidence imo that's when our form dropped off a cliff. I would see his future now as an impact sub to make use of his strength and power coming on against a tiring defence to try and change a game that needs changing. He is way below the necessary standard required of a regular first team choice imo.

Coventry is, imo, worth keeping as a squad player. Probably, as you say, not good enough for a regular slot but capable enough to go on in the event of an injury or to give someone a rest in the last 20 minutes or so. Looks a neat and tidy player but, like Cullen a year or so back, lacking that cutting edge to propel him to the next stage. Would rather see him than a Kral Mark II on the bench this season.

Okoflex didn't come on, you didn't miss it, and I'm guessing it was because he played for the Under 21s in the game against Stevenage on Friday. Ogbonna played in that too which presumably is why he wasn't involved yesterday.

Agree with you about Zouma. His worst game in a West Ham shirt imo. But I was very impressed with the big lump up front Luton started with. Adebayo I think his name is. And I'm not going to be too critical of Ashby. Puzzling to see a promising RB given a role on the left of midfield.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

probably a game where moyes trying a few things out to protect a few . would have been good to see baptiste get on for a few minutes in place of zouma.
they have a week before lens and then city. hopefully both scamacca and kostic can join training by thursday

coventry I would expect to see kept in the squad unless we get onana which hopefully we do. rice soucek onana and downes would be a great CM 4 . no place for coventry other than cup games so hopefully he sticks around.
ashby is a RB and will keep his place in the squad.
antonio has looked so poor but we will need him against city to ruffle a few prima dona feathers ! once scamacca is up to speed I can see antonio being more of a sub soming on to replace bowen or sca when needed. this will give us a fresher look up top for sure.
benrahma needs to up his levels as does vlasic who I would still sell if we can get anywhere near 15m.
no injuries and a good workout is what rice and co needed. onto Lens
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:22 am I find it a little odd that a goalkeeper needs rest already,
I'm just trying to recall how old I was when I started feeling the need for a rest mid-afternoon on hot summer days at the weekend.
Probably my late thirties too.

Full blown Sunday afternoon nap by my forties - mind you, that was after being in the pub after hours three nights a week.

Perfectly normal imho.
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Coventry actually looks a tidy player. He's not just a neat passer - he also puts in the tackles and makes vital interceptions. His weaknesses are things that can easily be improved with game time and maturity. For example his strength on the ball, and the amount of time he needs on the ball. Those two things would be weaknesses in most youth players making the step up. I don't think he's an out and out defensive midfielder, more of an old fashioned central midfielder. Some of his forward balls are actually quite intelligent and he has good awareness of the runs that players are making. He will probably never match up to Rice in terms of strength, physique, and natural ability - but I do think he has the potential to be a little more creative than him. If we're not going to use him then I think he's easily good enough to play for a Championship team on loan - we just need to make sure we don't send him to a struggling team on a downward spiral.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

The conceded goal was way too soft again, which was too often the case last season as well as the current preseason
StevenageDave
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by StevenageDave »

Soucek playing further forward was far more effective than he is in front of the back 4
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:35 am Coventry actually looks a tidy player. He's not just a neat passer - he also puts in the tackles and makes vital interceptions. His weaknesses are things that can easily be improved with game time and maturity. For example his strength on the ball, and the amount of time he needs on the ball. Those two things would be weaknesses in most youth players making the step up. I don't think he's an out and out defensive midfielder, more of an old fashioned central midfielder. Some of his forward balls are actually quite intelligent and he has good awareness of the runs that players are making. He will probably never match up to Rice in terms of strength, physique, and natural ability - but I do think he has the potential to be a little more creative than him. If we're not going to use him then I think he's easily good enough to play for a Championship team on loan - we just need to make sure we don't send him to a struggling team on a downward spiral.
Now you are singing my tune. I’ve been a consistent Coventry fan for about three seasons. I saw him play somewhere and saw potential, and he’s continued to develop albeit not as quick as Dec, but then who has?

They want him back at MK, and I can see him getting a championship move easily enough, but in my opinion that would be a mistake. I would give him a season working with the first team squad, perhaps developing a pair with Downes for the future, and then decide if it becomes clear he cannot step up.

Not suggesting he’s the finished article, but if he was playing for a championship team some on kumb would be saying ‘he’s worth a punt for the money that would be involved’.

Finally, to be consistent, it’s make this season a make or break, as he’ll have to move on for his own development reasons. Let’s develop another of our own!
👍👏🏼🇨🇿