PSF: Luton Town 1-1 West Ham Utd (23/7/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Re: Luton Town vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by OFT »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:13 pm Zoums looked crocked, like he could hardly move. Was definitely limping towards the end. That's a bit worrying.
Yeah, he looked very 'limited'. As you say, worrying
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:13 pm Zoums looked crocked, like he could hardly move. Was definitely limping towards the end. That's a bit worrying.
He always looks it, to me. Not sure if it’s just how he runs or moves, or whether he’s genuinely carrying an injury, but he never looks like he’s running at 100%.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

HammerAl wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:21 pm He always looks it, to me. Not sure if it’s just how he runs or moves, or whether he’s genuinely carrying an injury, but he never looks like he’s running at 100%.
I was going to say the same. He always looks like he’s carrying an injury with the way he runs. Always looks clumsy.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I get the Impression, like Antonio, Zouma might have been told to go easy during pre season, don't over commit.. (like Aguerd)
or risk injury, at present he's our only fit senior center back.

Just gradually build match sharpness and fitness.

He never really looks 100% at the best of times, seems to move awkwardly, maybe that's his natural style or maybe he's just a crock.. :D
APM
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by APM »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:03 pm Not the formation for us. Hopefully was only used because we had one centre back and Moyes wanted us to have more experience of it in case of emergency.

Two of our best players in Bowen and Zouma are a bad fit for it.
But it would need to be the one to potentially fit Kostic...
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1201 likes
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:09 pm I’m not seeing what people see in Vlasic at all. Think Soucek looks back to his best though.
Personally, I just think Vlasic is solid as a squad player, but hopefully he’ll grow.
We’re not big or rich enough to have half a dozen world beaters on the bench so he’s the sort who can do a decent job. In past times you’d maybe liken him to a Geoff Pike, George Paris etc.. players who’ll graft and put in a shift without necessarily pulling up any trees.
Reckon you’re right on Soucek. Nice to see him getting in the box again👍🏻
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Funny to think that people were worried about Cresswell starting the season at LB.

This is West Ham. He'll be starting the season at CB marking the most powerful and devastating striker in world football.

:cried: :scarfer:
Last edited by StevePottsGoalsReel on Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Is there any info out on what's happened to our other 3 CB's?

Not seen anything about why Diop, Oggy and Daws aren't available
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:39 pm Funny to think that people were worried about Cresswell starting the season at LB.

This is West Ham. He'll be starting the season at CB marking the most powerful and devastating striker in world football.

:cried: :scarfer:
If he gets back to full fitness I think Cresswell will do well. He had been doing really well until his injury last season, so fitness is the question for me.

Played a great ball for the goal.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

SiamHammer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:39 pm Is there any info out on what's happened to our other 3 CB's?

Daws has been injured all pre season basically. The other day there was pictures on Diop’s Instagram of him in Miami. Everyone assumed it was old pictures from a previous holiday but who knows now :crossed:
S-H

Post by S-H »

SiamHammer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:39 pm Is there any info out on what's happened to our other 3 CB's?

Diop is likely being sold
Oggy coming back from a serious injury.
Dawson picked up an injury early in pre season, I think.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Said on the OS that Ogbonna played last night for the U21s.
The other two are carrying niggles so not risked.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Remember folks pre-season friendly results are not a marker for how well we will go this season. Prior to 85/86 we got buried 3-1 at Leyton Orient. I was there and I’m here to tell you it could’ve been 7.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Just as well we're now doing something in the transfer market because the team we've had for the past few years now looks, old, slow and pretty much, devoid of any attacking idea
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

It's only a pre-season friendly so don't worry about the awful slow play. Completely ineffective upfront but it's only a pre-season friendly. It's only our third game and we need to get fit but it's only a pre-season friendly. The opposition are absolute tosh and we had nearly a full strength team but it's only a pre-season friendly. Apart from that there were lots of positives, too numerous to mention.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

He's fine, he'll be chasing cats around in no time.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Hamburger wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:51 pm It's only a pre-season friendly so don't worry about the awful slow play. Completely ineffective upfront but it's only a pre-season friendly. It's only our third game and we need to get fit but it's only a pre-season friendly. The opposition are absolute tosh and we had nearly a full strength team but it's only a pre-season friendly. Apart from that there were lots of positives, too numerous to mention.
It's only a pre-season friendly.
Take It to the Limit

Hamburger wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:51 pm It's only a pre-season friendly so don't worry about the awful slow play. Completely ineffective upfront but it's only a pre-season friendly. It's only our third game and we need to get fit but it's only a pre-season friendly. The opposition are absolute tosh and we had nearly a full strength team but it's only a pre-season friendly. Apart from that there were lots of positives, too numerous to mention.
👍🏻
Absolutely.
Not a fan of friendlies personally due to the over analysis.
It’s still ‘just a run out’ and the aim after a very long hard season and just before the next (imo) is to get through 90 mins without any injuries.
Take It to the Limit

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:56 pm He's fine, he'll be chasing cats around in no time.
😂
Maybe it’s the community service
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Didn't have a focal point first half, was Bowen playing CF?

A weird system with one CB in the squad ****ed by two full backs, but did ok really. Hardly surprising Zouma looked at sea at times. Trying to hold that lot together.

Shape improved when Antonio went up top, but is laughable really that we still only have one centre forward at the club. Luton fan next to me had to ask me if we really only had one centre half and one centre forward.

On Antonio, I think he should lose some weight, he looks like a slow rugby player these days, could probably extend his career a bit if he was leaner.

Decent run out though.