PSF: Luton Town 1-1 West Ham Utd (23/7/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Re: Luton Town vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Shabu »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:44 pm Daws has been injured all pre season basically. The other day there was pictures on Diop’s Instagram of him in Miami. Everyone assumed it was old pictures from a previous holiday but who knows now :crossed:
He went there to cool down. Miami was 10C less than London this week.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Sounds like Fab was just simply rested today. The comments on Diop was a bit suspicious though. “Unavailable”.

https://twitter.com/skysportsnews/statu ... z8HNMpINQ
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

HammerAl wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:21 pm He always looks it, to me. Not sure if it’s just how he runs or moves, or whether he’s genuinely carrying an injury, but he never looks like he’s running at 100%.
The ball hit him on the leg and went out of play and he started limping... really makes me wonder if he's putting it on sometimes, not always of course.
S-H wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:45 pm Dawson picked up an injury early in pre season, I think.
He played last season injured didn't he? haha
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

I think we have looked pretty rubbish so far in pre season. Not a knee jerk or anything like that, just saying how I see it. Defence looks shaky and we look pretty limited in attack
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Performances have been patchy at best. Not sure we have fielded our best 11 in one game yet. That's a concern because a lot seems to be because of injuries.

Johnson and Creswell at CB today. Not ideal at all and especially when you would hope everyone would be fit. Moyes has a few challenges ahead.

Don't think he will be that disappointed by the result. Not having enough 6 footers resulted in conceding late on.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

honkytonk wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:19 pm I think we have looked pretty rubbish so far in pre season. Not a knee jerk or anything like that, just saying how I see it. Defence looks shaky and we look pretty limited in attack
Couldn't agree more and fitness is an issue too
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

honkytonk wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:19 pm I think we have looked pretty rubbish so far in pre season. Not a knee jerk or anything like that, just saying how I see it. Defence looks shaky and we look pretty limited in attack
i think we're just continuing in the same vein as we have for the last six months, bar a few big cup nights.

we need fresh ideas aswell as legs.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:58 pm i think we're just continuing in the same vein as we have for the last six months, bar a few big cup nights.

we need fresh ideas aswell as legs.
What like? Seems like we most needd some better players. A couple of good acquisitions will make the world of difference
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The back 6 looked okay bar Zouma.

The midfield pair were fine.

The attackers kept slowing the game down, taking too many touches, misplacing forward passes or turning backwards and playing safe, slow football. Fornals has been poor more often than he's been good for the last eight months.

Antonio should have scored and seemed to be thoroughly frustrated and pee'd off after that.

It's easy to see why Moyes wants at least two attackers in. He probably needs at least one more after that who will offer something a bit different.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

If the squad was super fit and firing on all cylinders we wouldn't need friendlies would we? I have seen enough pre-seasons over the years and personally I feel that 'form' in this period does not determine our season. I have seen us really good and relegated and really poor and top 10.

Having said that, I believe this season will be more difficult than the past 2 and suspect we may struggle early on as new players bed in. So my expectations are not high. No point bleating and feeling sorry for ourselves as it is what it is. But I still do feel confident in the general direction we and squad we are building.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I guess I'm in the minority but thought that Johnson was awful at CB. at least twice he got SO tight to his opponent and was turned easily........

agree, he's not played a lot there, and was really pushed into it by us being short on CB's but sorry not for me...

Arthur was Arthur.

Antonio was Antonio in pre season. was easier to score than miss but he accomplished it "with aplomb" as they say. now he'll more than likely stick 2 past City, such is he..

good to see Tommy back to form, pinged a few nice balls around and a good header for the goal.

in a 5 I honestly can't see where Benni fits in. he looked completely all at sea.

Vlasic looked good again, and was unlucky with that shot the keeper saved and better timing by Mike would have seen an easy tap in.

Covenetry looked the same pre season last year and went out on loan. he's kind of a "tweener" to me, niether one thing or the other. decent kid it seems and a decent player but the PL might be a step too far.

Downes wasn't on long enough to make an impression.

not quite sure to make of Ashby. looked okay but I honestly hope we don't persevere with 3 at the back. doesn't suit us

Zouma was absolutely awful. got beaten easily time and time again, that one where the bloke got in behind and a PL forward Shirley put that away.

no questions answered here really. quite why we never gave Oko Flex minutes I have no idea, or did he come on and I missed it ?

watched the first half, went out and then the 2nd when I got back much later so it was a bit chop and change for me.
irons88
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by irons88 »

I’m a little bit concerned as we’re not showing anything like the fluid play we showed in pre season last year and into the start of last season. Remember when we thrashed Celtic 6-2, then went into the Premier League season beating Newcastle 4-2 away and then Leicester 4-1 at home. We’re miles off that currently, our attacking play is slow and laboured. Antonio was fairly central to that at the start of last season, and I feel like he’s perhaps beyond recapturing that form again.
Zouma looked like he was struggling, slow to every ball and clumsy in his distribution. We looked far from solid in defence.
I know it’s just a pre season friendly, but you’d still expect to see a bit more cohesion. We desperately need some signings to give us a lift.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

irons88 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:39 pm
I know it’s just a pre season friendly, but you’d still expect to see a bit more cohesion. We desperately need some signings to give us a lift.
difficult with all of the chopping and changing of personnel but I'm in complete agreement with you.

not saying that you have to win all of your preseason games, far from it. but at least you need to look a bit fluid, connecting with passes and chances created, converted.

people who say that's it's ONLY about fitness are not 100% correct. things need to start at least look to be clicking, players getting something going between them.

at times, there were the same glaring deficiences that we saw at the end of last season.

I'm not going to slash my wrists or jump off a tall building based on these results, but last preseason we had just come of a great previous season, were buzzing around and looked a bit cohesive.

this pre season looking very disjointed.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

I thought Johnson was wandering into right back didn't look comfortable in the centre, We bring Ashby a very promising right back on and play him at left midfield, that was a strange call, Declan seemed to sit more and Tommy goes up and scores, perhaps we are going back to two seasons ago and keeping Declan the deeper of the two. we still lack pace on the counter , only Bowen seems able to get away from defenders, Benrahma, lanzini, Vlassic, Fornals all good on the ball but none are blessed with pace for counter attacking. Areola surely starts as number 1 this season I think its time for him to be number 1.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

irons88 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:39 pm I’m a little bit concerned as we’re not showing anything like the fluid play we showed in pre season last year and into the start of last season. Remember when we thrashed Celtic 6-2, then went into the Premier League season beating Newcastle 4-2 away and then Leicester 4-1 at home. We’re miles off that currently, our attacking play is slow and laboured. Antonio was fairly central to that at the start of last season, and I feel like he’s perhaps beyond recapturing that form again.
Zouma looked like he was struggling, slow to every ball and clumsy in his distribution. We looked far from solid in defence.
i wondered if the booing was starting to get to zouma. bloke seemed agitated and probably thought it would've subsided by now, but he's still the pantomime villain even at a pre-season friendly.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

isn't it "ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" as opposed to "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ?"

started WAY before the catgate thing......
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

It was pretty flat today. Some attacking moves clicked nicely, but too many others missed the moment. Players not quite fit, not quite coordinating, and plenty out of their normal positions.

I know our CBs are struggling for fitness but I only want to see Johnson (and Coufal) at RB, not patching us up at either LB or CB. Cresswell and Masuaku in the same line up? It has worked before, but not often.

Then chopping and changing with subs. Did it do Ashby any good throwing him on out of position? Not for me.

We can excuse it as a meaningless pre season friendly, and it might have felt different if Iron Mike has converted what was a sitter one on one, but, the feel good factor and cohesiveness of last Summer doesn’t seem to be there yet.

We need to rediscover our mojo quickly or we’ll get battered by Citeh if we’re playing anywhere near today’s standard.
Hammers Sturmflut
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Hammers Sturmflut »

Tomas will have a very sexy season, I am quite certain.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:22 pm isn't it "ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" as opposed to "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ?"

started WAY before the catgate thing......
It was booing. And miaowing, weirdly.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I find it a little odd that a goalkeeper needs rest already,