A new regular Formation?/The formation and tactics thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: A new regular Formation?

Post by Burnley Hammer »

sutts07 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:34 pm ----------------- Areola -----------------
-------- Kehrer Zouma Aguerd -------
Johnson -------- Rice ------ Emerson
--- Bowen --- Paqueta --- Cornet ---
--------------- Scamacca --------------

Nine Subs - Fabianski Ogbonna Dawson Coufal Cresswell Soucek Fornals Benrahma Antonio

Not involved - Randolph Lanzini Coventry Downes
I think this is my favourite so far
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

El brooko79 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:41 pm I agree with that team and structure. But don't believe it's a set starting 11 week in week out.
Benrahma, Cornet, Johnson and Antonio particlarly will see plenty of game time. Nor do i think its often "best 11" and reserve team. Mix and match depending on who we play and what skill set is needed.
I agree

Hence why I factored in the biggest game (cup final) which factors in bedding in time

But wtf do I know, I though last season Diop would elevate himself to first choice by the end of the season
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

westlondonhammer wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:33 pm If Paqueta signs I think the team that wins us our first silverware for ages at the end of the season will be...

.....................Areola
Kehrer...Zouma...Aguerd...Emerson
......................Rice
............Soucek....Paqueta
Bowen...............................Fornals
................Scamacca

Don't like it because I see our Full Backs getting far too exposed and it's not the most water tight now as it is. Plus I don't see much natural width selecting the likes of Fornals and Bowen who both naturally want to join more central play when they can. We'd play far too narrow and congest our own game when trying to attack.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:51 pm Don't like it because I see our Full Backs getting far too exposed and it's not the most water tight now as it is. Plus I don't see much natural width selecting the likes of Fornals and Bowen who both naturally want to join more central play when they can. We'd play far too narrow and congest our own game when trying to attack.
By recruiting 2 full backs more comfortable at heading a ball than Coufal or Cresswell, even if do lose out more in wide positions (which I don't think we will but we could) we are more equipt to deal with the ball coming into the box when your full back on the opposite side of the pitch drifts in.

I also think we've gone out and specifically recruited players significantly better on the ball than those they're replacing because we adopting a change of style that means we're less reliant on attacking through the channels. I think we want to evolve into a more narrow game with a technically better player running the game (Paqueta) as a shift away from a style which hasn't been the most successful over the last 8 months.

I could be completely wrong, I often am
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

The 3-4-3 has to be the formation to go with. The key is having wide centre backs that can play as full backs, like Kehrer. Fast attacking wing backs, midfielders that can dominate and good forwards.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

Yes the 3 up top being close so Scamacca can set the other 2 on their way…
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

westlondonhammer wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:10 pm By recruiting 2 full backs more comfortable at heading a ball than Coufal or Cresswell, even if do lose out more in wide positions (which I don't think we will but we could) we are more equipt to deal with the ball coming into the box when your full back on the opposite side of the pitch drifts in.

I also think we've gone out and specifically recruited players significantly better on the ball than those they're replacing because we adopting a change of style that means we're less reliant on attacking through the channels. I think we want to evolve into a more narrow game with a technically better player running the game (Paqueta) as a shift away from a style which hasn't been the most successful over the last 8 months.

I could be completely wrong, I often am
No think that makes a lot of sense. Our ability to build from the back changes totally with Kehrer Aguerd and Emerson, plus we add a lot of pace for recovery when needed. Paqueta playing closer to Scamacca than we are used to with an isolated Antonio also gives us a very different and more subtle threat from open play, right now we score a good number of goals, but are over reliant on counter attacks and set pieces. Moving forward we can still do that but will have more ability to open up sides who sit deep against us. Moyes has realised we’ve been sussed, we would still be OK, but any progress needs something new, give it a couple of games to settle and watch us go. But Declan Rice now needs to do what he’s best at, being a world class defensive midfielder.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

I’d love this against a weaker team -

———————-Areola——————————
Johson—-Zouma—Aguerd—-Emerson
————————-Rice——————————-
——-Fornals—————Paqueta*————-
Bowen———Scamacca——--Benrahma

Could still play a more defensive 4-3-3 -

———————-Areola——————————
Kehrer—-Zouma—Aguerd—-Emerson
————————-Rice——————————-
——-Soucek—————Paqueta*————-
Bowen———Scamacca———---Fornals

Obviously plenty of other options in 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-2-1 where we could prioritise counter attacking etc

Moyes has really got no excuse if we sign Paqueta. His hardest task will be getting everyone to gel and deciding on a play style that suits us best
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Gsbgsb »

Originally posted in response to a “why the need for Vanaken” post on transfer thread - without that context what follows makes little sense.

Options.

Also could we play Rice sitting with Paqueta and Vanaken ahead of him (think one is primarily left sided the other right) then a front 3?

Last season we really had few viable options to Plan A 4-2-3-1 and we became predictable as much as stale. Get all the different supposed business done and teams will not know for certain exactly how we will line up. We could end up as an alphabet soup of numbers formation wise with plans A through about G.
Last edited by Gsbgsb on Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Re: A new regular Formation?/The formation and tactics thread

Post by El brooko79 »

Is there anyone out there who still thinks a back 3/5 is the way to go with our current squad?

If we don't have possession we offer nothing going forward with no pace.

We aren't gonna have decent possesion with two full backs as wing backs and the current midfield. One surperb Brazilian will not change that.

433, 4321, 451. Has be for me.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Fornals has been the key lately for any productive use of the 3 at the back formation. Playing as a LWB he pushes into midfield allowing Cresswell to drift wide and suddenly we have a back four, with Fornals either tucking into a midfield diamond or pushing up as an attacking midfielder.

With Emerson having signed and being a better Wing Back than what we have on the right, why couldn't the right footed Fornals move onto that side? The only problem would be that Cresswell no long drifts into the full back role but Coufal or Johnson could fulfill that role.

Fabianski
Johnson/Coufal Zouma Kehrer
Fornals Rice Soucek/Lanzini Emerson
Paqueta/Benrahma
Scamacca/Antonio Cornet/Bowen

Fornals can tuck into midfield and create a diamond, or push up onto the right wing and Cornet drops back onto the left wing.

Three formations in on starting line up.

Pablo is the key.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

El brooko79 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:11 pm Is there anyone out there who still thinks a back 3/5 is the way to go with our current squad?

If we don't have possession we offer nothing going forward with no pace.

We aren't gonna have decent possesion with two full backs as wing backs and the current midfield. One surperb Brazilian will not change that.

433, 4321, 451. Has be for me.
It's an option, yes. And whether people like to accept it or not because of 1 half of football yesterday which didn't show us in the best light, it still served it's purpose of giving us a foothold in the game. We were able to build on that formation and to change it up when bringing on subs. I do disagree with Moyes being so harsh on it because it restricted Villa at Home to few chances although he also mentioned we were very resilient because of it. So he too understood it's importance, it just never looked fluid which is an issue he'd have to rectify if wishing to use it more often and ideally play decent football. That could be down to the right personnel or who we are playing against at the time for it to work better.

That said, there is other ways to play better currently and I like the idea of a 433. The good news I think is Moyes is trying to not be so 1 dimensional and looking to have a Plan B nd C. To play 2 different formations in 1 game and get the desired result away from home proves it can work and he's trying to be flexible in his approach, rather than be too rigid all the time like we used to be.

Going back to the 352 formation, with additions like Cornet at Left Wing Back, Dawson, Aguerd at the back and Paqueta added into the number 10 role, I can really see that working well, but theoretical at the moment until he signs. But to get to the stage will take some time as some are still missing that would make us a lot more solid at the back and new faves needing time to get used to new Team mates. But a settled side like that, after a bit of time playing together, sure I can see that working and working well once bang at it up to speed.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

———-——— Areola ————
Johnson—Kehrer—Ogbonna—-ELP
————-Paqueta—-Rice—————-
Bowen——-—-Benny———Fornals
————-——Scamacca——————
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

I'd love us to get a point where we can control the ball and dominate teams enough that this works:

---------------------- Fabianksi -----------------------

Coufal ------ Kehrer ------- Aguerd ------ Emerson

------------------------ Rice ---------------------------

----------- Paqueta ---------- Fornals ---------------

Bowen ------------------------------------ Benrahma

-------------------- Scamacca ------------------------

(This isn't anti Soucek btw before you all start).
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

British Isles Boys only.....

Trott
Ashby Johnson Dawson Cresswell
Coventry Rice Downes
Bowen Antonio Okoflex
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Based on our players, at least the ones we have at the moment

GK - 3
+
CD - 5 (1/2)
LD/LWB - 2 (1/2)
RD/RWB - 2 (1/2)
+
MC - 6
ML/RW & MR/LW - 4
+
S - 2

Are we looking at two outgoing (one defender and one midfielder)?

With Zouma already here, I can't see us wanting to play with less than three central defenders now that both Kehrer and Aguerd were bought.
If we line up with three at the back, and two wing backs plus our one central striker, that will leave four in the middle. Will Rice be the only one?

------------------GK---------------
----------CD-----CD-----CD-------
WB------------------------------WB
------------------MF----------------
---MF-----------MF-----------MF--
-----------------ST------------------

The midfielders and wingbacks will have to do a lot of miles, dropping back and pushing forward. Can't see Soucek being other than a reserve option when everyone is fit.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Shabu wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:29 pm British Isles Boys only.....

Trott
Ashby Johnson Dawson Cresswell
Coventry Rice Downes
Bowen Antonio Okoflex
Where would this team finish in a British only League? I know it looks quite weak but thinking about it I'm not sure other clubs have all that many British first team starters either.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Come on then..we all come back on Boxing Day with everyone fit and ready for the 2nd half of the season, what does the team look like?

-----------Fabianski
Kehrer Zouma Aguerd Emerson
---------------Rice
--------Fornals Paqueta
---Bowen Scamacca Benrahma
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Some of the team sheets I'm seeing here, for as good as they look. Paqueta would be the right sided CM in a 3 rather than the left sided.
rudekid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by rudekid »

It's a bit leftfield and I'm not sure Michail would like it but I would like to see him and Cornet in the WB roles to ensure we have that attacking threat when playing with 5 at the back. We would probably need to bring in Fornals to play on the right to cover Antonio when he's pushed on but I think it would be good against the lesser teams...

----------------fab--------------------
---kehrer----souma----aguerd-----
-antonio---------------------cornet-
----------------rice--------------------
-------fornals-------paqueta--------
--------scamacca----bowen---------