👋 Farewell, Gianluca Scamacca

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Re: ✍ Gianluca Scamacca

Post by ballantine »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:47 am Generally a safer option to take Gianluca's own words with more weight than the odd piece of 'ITK' stuff that floats about. I say that as someone who every now and then receives those bits and pieces of info.
Read like when owners are forced to say the have complete confidence in the manager.

I hope he finds his feet here. But to believe the players' interviews and social media accounts are them sharing their honest and innermost thoughts and feelings, is a bit naive. It's professional PR management.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

ballantine wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:08 pm Read like when owners are forced to say the have complete confidence in the manager.

I hope he finds his feet here. But to believe the players' interviews and social media accounts are them sharing their honest and innermost thoughts and feelings, is a bit naive. It's professional PR management.
It doesn’t matter if that’s true or not, there’s video of the interview after the match and on the most fundamental level, unless you are adamant that Scamacca is a fake, his own words are worth more than anything that comes from someone else.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:11 pm It doesn’t matter if that’s true or not, there’s video of the interview after the match and on the most fundamental level, unless you are adamant that Scamacca is a fake, his own words are worth more than anything that comes from someone else.
I just think he's a young man who's had a tough season with injuries and illnesses, maybe misses home a bit, is playing in a tougher league than he's used to and is adapting.

All of that can be true without him having an attitude problem or hating it here or wanting out etc.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2951 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

When (young/immature) players are struggling/sulking because they find it tough for whatever reason it's the job of the club and all its different sectors, to help the player, to make it a bit more comfortable for him but also not lower the demands at the same time. So giving him the platform to express himself and milk a bit of content out of a positive moment for the player is what the club should do. And writing their own story, trying to protect of value, obviously.

Club PR, not journalism.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

West Ham Matt wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:43 pm I have Sicilian family .

Proper grafters .
My sicilian uncle closed his leather shop and retired in his 70s.

He now has a home repair shop and takes more orders than ever, and tends his allotment in his spare time.

He's currently on holiday staying with my cousin and spending it putting a new floor down in one of the bedrooms.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

EvilC wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:03 am Is he in the Italy squad?

I’m sort of hoping that he gets a couple of weeks of settled training and can come back sharper when games start again.
He has been called up. That start and goal may well have done us a favour in regards to him getting some game time with Italy now. Probably a good thing that Italy are at home. It’s a chance for him to go home for a few days aswell.
Ariksan
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ariksan »

I wonder if he's just a case of someone being bad in training. Chapuisat, the prolific Swiss goal machine from the 90ies who spent most of his time with Borussia Dortmund was someone that turned up on match days. But as much fame he got and goals he scored he was apparently not very good in training - to great irritation of at least one of his managers in his late career, whom I seem to remember even questioned his decision to sign him. Yet, he kept scoring and the manager just accepted that he could not expect much from him in training. He was not disruptive - for whatever reason he just was not able to apply himself in training. So, if someone would not had the track record like he had, I can see how that could cause issues with the coach.
Last edited by Ariksan on Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I know what you mean, we've all had team mates like that at some time in our collective sports history whatever it may be.

I have friends here who I play pickleball with. we're all pretty much up there in age but I want to improve as much as I can knowing my limits.

other people I play with just can't be arsed. they play shytty shots can't be bothered to get better and even when we go practice a little earlier they're like okay you ready after about 5 minutes. when my old achy body hasn't even warmed up !!!!!

then they bitch at me when we're losing despite them putting me in that hole too !!!

some people just HATE to train. not many though can get by with it and improving some can though and as stated above some coaches have to lump it or like it.

I loved training. I never was any good to a great degree but ANY improvement in whatever game I played, I put down to practicing. of course I was am and still not good enough to translate that to great game play but sometimes the one little bit you worked on came off in a game and I used to (and still do) go home buzzing.

whenever I was coaching I tried to make training as enjoyable as I could to make the kids want to come but there were those who couldn't be arsed no matter WHAT we did.

oh well...
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Bad-training, late-arriving, non-smiling, moody-hate-the-world Gianluca Scamacca is still miles better than most of the dross we've had play up front for us.

And that's worst case scenario.

He's gonna score the winner for us and be the first Cup winning scorer since Trevor Brooking.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

All I can know for sure are his words, his colleagues words about him and what he does on the pitch. Everything else is just fluff.

Hope he enjoys his time in Italy and gets some minutes, injury free and comes back ready to lead the line, save us from relegation and win the ECL.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Ariksan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:23 pm I wonder if he's just a case of 'Stephane Chapuisat' - the prolific Swiss goal machine from the 90ies who spent most of his time with Borussia Dortmund. As much fame he got and goals he scored he was also known for being shyte in training to great irritaion of his managers and coaches, so much that they questioned their desicion to sign him. Yet, he kept scoring and coaches just learned to accept that they could not exepct much from him in training. He was not disruptive - for whatever reason he just was not able to apply himself in training.
Lots of stories of players who were terrible in training but did it on a match day. Lineker was one I think but also Lee Dixon spoke about Vieira being awful in training.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

mattyD wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:46 pm Lots of stories of players who were terrible in training but did it on a match day. Lineker was one I think but also Lee Dixon spoke about Vieira being awful in training.
Prob why he got sacked the other day
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

David Moyes meticulous recruitment strikes again then, if the rumours are to be believed.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

mattyD wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:46 pm Lots of stories of players who were terrible in training but did it on a match day. Lineker was one I think but also Lee Dixon spoke about Vieira being awful in training.
Dicks
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Rocketron wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:55 pmDicks
Tevez was apparently the laziest **** in training.

Then come match day was on another level.

Nobes confirmed this.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Italian coach, Emiliano Leva, who was in charge of the player’s youth career at Lazio.

“Gianluca is a first-tier centre-forward, it is no coincidence that he has been with the national team for some time. I can certainly tell you that he has all the potential to make the leap into a big one (club). Inzaghi already knows him well from the time when I coached him at Lazio, he often came to watch the youth games,” he was quoted as saying by Sport Italia.

“I can’t say where I would see him best, they are complex discussions that involve the interlocking of many factors. I repeat that the only thing I am sure of is that Gianluca is ready to make this possible leap (to a bigger club). But you will see that in the meantime he will return to being the man with West Ham.”
Bubbles Fortuna

I really like what we've seen of Scamacca, but I'm just not sure he suits the league. And that's entirely on Moyes and the rest of the recruitment team for scouting and signing him.

What lone forward in this league does he remind you of?

Mitrovic and Toney are much more physical.

Kane is more physical and has much better vision and passing, Kane has more assists this season than Scamacca has in any top flight season combined.

Haaland has it all.

Watkins, Wilson, Isak and Jesus have much more pace and movement.

Scamacca seems like a good finisher and has a rocket of a shot from distance, but is that enough in this league? I fear he's just not right for the league. Whoever was in charge of recruitment this season needs to be questioned, as well as the board for doing their usual job of cutting funds for 2 seasons then signing too many players.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:09 pm I really like what we've seen of Scamacca, but I'm just not sure he suits the league. And that's entirely on Moyes and the rest of the recruitment team for scouting and signing him.
Absolutely 100% he was plan B. We wanted Broja...
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Mullhull wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:16 pm Absolutely 100% he was plan B. We wanted Broja...
That's ridiculous in itself though surely! Not that I doubt it.
Ideally Plan B from a recruitment perspective should be a similar type player.
Bubbles Fortuna

El brooko79 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:23 pm That's ridiculous in itself though surely! Not that I doubt it.
Ideally Plan B from a recruitment perspective should be a similar type player.
Yes exactly.

Though that's the problem when you have one scout... You telling me there wasn't a pacey, strong player like Broja or Moffi out there?