👋 Farewell, Gianluca Scamacca

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1225 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Re: ✍ Gianluca Scamacca

Post by Take It to the Limit »

S-H wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:27 pm I don't think it's a language barrier, but a tactics barrier.
😂 👍🏻
To be honest, I genuinely don’t know what our ‘tactics’ are (or have been) this season. I’m totally totally bemused. I really haven’t understood what we’re actually ‘trying’ to do.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:38 pm Where has that come from? He speaks English doesn't he?
Ogbonna was clearly translating between Nolan and Scamacca today. That's where it has come from.
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1225 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

D C wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:21 pm Struggling with the pace of the league? He’s had less than 200 minutes and zero service in the league so far
👍🏻
I touched on similar recently. The only way these players can ‘gel’ is to get the minutes playing together. A full 90. You can’t really replicate that on the training ground imo. Thursday was an ideal chance but we chose to ‘rest’ them for today. That went well! 😳
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

jastons wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:41 pm Ogbonna was clearly translating between Nolan and Scamacca today. That's where it has come from.
He gave an interview in English and yet he apparently can't understand some simple commands on a football pitch in English? Perhaps something a bit more complex, Ogbonna might help him get the gist of, but there's no way he needs Ogbonna to translate everything.
Bavarian_Hammer
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Bavarian_Hammer »

Take It Easy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:38 pm 😂 👍🏻
To be honest, I genuinely don’t know what our ‘tactics’ are (or have been) this season. I’m totally totally bemused. I really haven’t understood what we’re actually ‘trying’ to do.
I think the plan is to sit back and try to misplace the pass on a counter attack. To mix it up we sometimes hoof it up front for the lone striker to chase but without the rest of the team following. Otherwise the opposition might have trouble controlling the ball under pressure and give it away in a dangerous position.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Scamacca and Antonio are completely different players. Adapting to when one replaces the other currently looks hopeless.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

I just can’t see him succeeding under Moyes.
MilHammer
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by MilHammer »

He hasn't gotten enough minutes and service to assess whether he's cut out for the league. To me, there are obvious parallels with Haller, a palyer I still think is borderline world class. Both Haller and Scamacca are entirely different players than Antonio. They need good service in the air oand the ball played at their feet. We are doing neither right now.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

jacko wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:10 pm I just can’t see him succeeding under Moyes.
Don't see him succeeding with Soucek, Coufal, Cress, Dawson and Antonio - all very direct players.

Think he could with Paqueta, Benrahma, Fornals and Downes.

For me need to starting grouping players to play together.
Yes if sitting deep use Antonio, Soucek, Bowen/Cornet to exploit space. If we can have possesion use those above.

Think Bowen and Cornet as wide players can adapt to both.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

jastons wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:41 pm Ogbonna was clearly translating between Nolan and Scamacca today. That's where it has come from.
That Scouse accent was obviously too much. Not joking. He understand James Richardson okay. And Oggy's English is atrocious.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

Not just the goal today, wouldn't Maupay been a better signing for us?

Even a Danny Ings would be a decent signing. A known Prem striker who can score goals in this league. I think the Scamacca acquisition was/is a bit of a gamble. Early days, but we needed players signed that were gong to hit the ground running.

In today's modern football, managers haven't got 6 months to wait & see, the supporters want instant results.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

He's scoring for fun in Europe and hasn't even had the equivalent of two games in the PL.

Clearly got ability but isn't going to run channels quite the same way as Antonio but gets around the pitch a lot better than Haller did.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:36 pm He's scoring for fun in Europe and hasn't even had the equivalent of two games in the PL.

Clearly got ability but isn't going to run channels quite the same way as Antonio but gets around the pitch a lot better than Haller did.
I think the real point is can he succeed with us not is he good enough.

In Europe we generally play against lesser teams (although made a meal of it). So we have the ball.

We need to have the ball and use it well to get the most out of him.
We can't replace a CF who thrives attacking into space with one that needs to revcieve the ball to feet nearer the goal without adapting our play.
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:36 pm He's scoring for fun in Europe and hasn't even had the equivalent of two games in the PL.

Exactly this and then gets brought on when we are playing **** with 20 mins to go an expected to change the game.

He can finish, stick him upfront and give him some service ffs
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

I thought it was funny that we had whipped in numerous crosses and had a billion corners before he came on then he steps in the pitch we had none.

It was as if we were purposely making him look crap
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 678 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

We need to stop with the 4321 s*** and play a two up front system. Antonio playing alongside Scamacca. Could even throw cornet in as a forward as he's played there before.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

His best games for us have been with players close to him, but every time in the league we leave him isolated and he suffers as a result.

Another for the list of the obvious things we all seem to see but not the manager.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 521 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Just another player who must start to be thinking ‘I made a mistake in signing for this club’
We don’t play to his strengths and it makes him look ineffective.
Paqueta will be next.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

The foul at the end was beyond idiotic.

He needs a run in the team. I was praying he would get some minutes with Antonio instead of Bowen.
Has liked: 4592 likes
Total likes: 1548 likes

Post by Sticky »

He has what I hope looks like a bit of nasty streak in him... I also hope that doesn't equate to a sh*tty attitude.

I'm sure we have done our research on him tho..