👋 Farewell, Gianluca Scamacca

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: ✍ Gianluca Scamacca

Post by Burnley Hammer »

He'll be reluctant to play him as he hasn't adapted to the Premier League yet - but you only adapt to the Premier League by playing in it regularly. That's the mistake he made with Vlasic. Scamacca is not going to adapt to Premier League football by playing in the European Conference League. As the ever insightful davids cross mentioned earlier, he'd be better off starting Scamacca every game and using Antonio as the impact sub - not the other way around. That would suit them better.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:01 pm . As someone else mentioned (can't remember who), he'd be better off starting Scamacca every game and using Antonio as the impact sub - not the other way around. That would suit them better.

:coolas:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

davids cross wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:43 pm :coolas:
Can't blame him for forgetting.

:D
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

S-H wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:44 pm Can't blame him for forgetting.

:D

I wasn't sure whether it felt like a compliment from Burnley or a right kick in my goolies..... :crylol:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:01 pm He'll be reluctant to play him as he hasn't adapted to the Premier League yet - but you only adapt to the Premier League by playing in it regularly. That's the mistake he made with Vlasic. Scamacca is not going to adapt to Premier League football by playing in the European Conference League. As someone else mentioned (can't remember who), he'd be better off starting Scamacca every game and using Antonio as the impact sub - not the other way around. That would suit them better.
the problem with this is we are clearly set up to keep the game quiet for the first 20 minutes and hope to open them up on the counter as they get frustrated. antonio (or previously arnie) are completely intrinsic to providing any threat in this sytem as our wingers will be needed to provide cover to our defensive block

moyes has had great success against wolves in the past by cynically exploiting their tendancy to overplay and underfinish, and will back himself to do it again.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Think that’s it Beavis, I think Moyes is reluctant to play the way we’d need to in order to get the best out of him in the Premier League.

It has been more of a front three in Europe with the wide players much narrower and further forward. That gives Scamacca players near him (which he needs more than Antonio).

Scamacca isn’t there yet for what Moyes would want from him in the Premier League. We saw it after the Europa Conference League game where he talked about his hole up play.

Moyes will need to be a bit braver in the league to get the best out of him or I think we’ll all end up frustrated including the player!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

davids cross wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:48 pm I wasn't sure whether it felt like a compliment from Burnley or a right kick in my goolies..... :crylol:
There you go, I've fixed it for you.
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1201 likes
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

MB wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:44 pm Think that’s it Beavis, I think Moyes is reluctant to play the way we’d need to in order to get the best out of him in the Premier League.
Sorry, but when will be the right time?
We’re in the bottom 3 and we’ve got a World Cup break coming up.
I’m all for breaking players in but we clearly need changes soon.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

Take It Easy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:48 pm Sorry, but when will be the right time?
We’re in the bottom 3 and we’ve got a World Cup break coming up.
I’m all for breaking players in but we clearly need changes soon.
Breaking players in is a nonsense argument, used only by managers who prefer not to shy away from their overly rigid formation and tactics. If you’ve brought them in because you think they’re going to improve the starting XI, they need to be in the starting XI.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Antonio has been playing well, that's the issue.

Since Scamacca started against Villa, he then missed the Tottenham and Chelsea games though illness, Antonio scored one and assisted one in those games.

Scamacca started the next game in the Conference League, Antonio came off the bench and scored again.

Scamacca started again in the Conference League.

That brings us to Everton, can you drop Antonio who scored or assisted in each of his three appearances?

I just don't see how he can be accused of not playing Scamacca when he was due start after the Villa game after Antonio had his chance to keep his place and failed, but unfortunately Scamacca fell ill and Antonio took his chance.
SullySpecial

Post by SullySpecial »

He’s been playing ok, but he’s not a striker, and has a goal record of one in four. That’s not cutting it, especially when no-one else is chipping in with goals.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Scamacca was poor against FCSB... swapping in Antonio probably saved us the game

Scamacca was also knackered when he went off against Silkeborg after 60 mins due to a lack of match fitness

Plus Antonio hasn't been too bad recently

I can understand why you'd go with Antonio 3 days after the Silkeborg game... it's a bit of a no brainer really
Bubbles Fortuna

SullySpecial wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:00 pm He’s been playing ok, but he’s not a striker, and has a goal record of one in four. That’s not cutting it, especially when no-one else is chipping in with goals.
Antonio is a striker.

Players can change their positions.

After he was dropped for Scamacca, Scamacca was unfortunately ill, and then Antonio scored twice and assisted one in three games. You can't drop him after that.
SullySpecial

Post by SullySpecial »

westlondonhammer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:01 pm Scamacca was poor against FCSB... swapping in Antonio probably saved us the game

Scamacca was also knackered when he went off against Silkeborg after 60 mins due to a lack of match fitness

Plus Antonio hasn't been too bad recently

I can understand why you'd go with Antonio 3 days after the Silkeborg game... it's a bit of a no brainer really
Scamacca shouldn’t have played against FCSB as he obviously wasn’t over the illness he had. I don’t think he was tired against Silkeborg - I think Moyes thought the match was won, and made those changes to see out the match, which very nearly backfired spectacularly.

Antonio hasn’t been too bad lately. Are we really setting the bar that low? How many other PL sides would he make the starting as a striker?
Bubbles Fortuna

SullySpecial wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:15 pm Scamacca shouldn’t have played against FCSB as he obviously wasn’t over the illness he had. I don’t think he was tired against Silkeborg - I think Moyes thought the match was won, and made those changes to see out the match, which very nearly backfired spectacularly.

Antonio hasn’t been too bad lately. Are we really setting the bar that low? How many other PL sides would he make the starting as a striker?
Three consecutive seasons of 10 goals, 18, 15, 13 combined goals and assists in the last three years.

2 goals and an assist in his last 4.

He was dropped for Scamacca, and then Scamacca got ill immediately, after that Antonio started producing. Why would Antonio get dropped after that?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:18 pm Three consecutive seasons of 10 goals, 18, 15, 13 combined goals and assists in the last three years.

He was dropped for Scamacca, and then Scamacca got ill immediately, after that Antonio started producing. Why would Antonio get dropped after that?
not quite the same form but much like haller and him situation when haller was first choice pre season. got ankle injury then antonio was outstanding and rightly couldnt be dropped
Bubbles Fortuna

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:25 pm not quite the same form but much like haller and him situation when haller was first choice pre season. got ankle injury then antonio was outstanding and rightly couldnt be dropped
Scamacca will have plenty of opportunities this season, Antonio is the least of our concerns right now.
SullySpecial

Post by SullySpecial »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:18 pm Three consecutive seasons of 10 goals, 18, 15, 13 combined goals and assists in the last three years.

Because we’re not playing well as a team, and when he’s in the team we only play one way - a way that other teams have worked out how to play against. I also think our style of play stifles any creativity we have up front. Give the likes of Paqueta and Fornals a striker who is on the same wavelength when it comes to quick passes and movement, and I think we would see the best of them all.

Don’t get me wrong, Antonio has been a good player for us, and filled in at striker admirably. However, if we’re serious about changing our style of play then he’s not the answer, and the quicker Scamacca (brought in to help this happen) starts, the better for all concerned.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

I'm sure Scammaca has ambitions of being the main man for Italy in Qatar.
Not sure what he would have been told before signing, but I doubt he was expecting to be Antonio's understudy.

I've got a lot of time for Antonio but he's being going backwards for a year or so.

I realise Scammaca has lost a bit of game time due to
the throat virus he had a couple of weeks ago.
But he's back now.
We paid a decent amount of money for him, so let's use him.
Bubbles Fortuna

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:52 pm I'm sure Scammaca has ambitions of being the main man for Italy in Qatar.
Not sure what he would have been told before signing, but I doubt he was expecting to be Antonio's understudy.

I've got a lot of time for Antonio but he's being going backwards for a year or so.

I realise Scammaca has lost a bit of game time due to
the throat virus he had a couple of weeks ago.
But he's back now.
We paid a decent amount of money for him, so let's use him.
And Antonio capitalised on Scamacca's illness. I'm sure he'll end up our started but Antonio hit form, what message does it send if we dropped him for Everton after 2 goals and an assist in three games.

For what it's worth I think he'll start Scamacca against Wolves.