👋 Farewell, Gianluca Scamacca

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Re: ✍ Gianluca Scamacca

Post by Romfordboy »

Are Italy going Qatar?

As a fan?
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1436 likes

Post by D C »

We could play both players
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:52 pm I'm sure Scammaca has ambitions of being the main man for Italy in Qatar.
Italy didn't qualify for the World Cup.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

:)
Romfordboy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:38 pm Are Italy going Qatar?

As a fan?
I'll pretend I didn't mention italy going to qatar
Thank you for putting me in my place.

Italy must be rubbish not qualifying again for the world cup.
Mind you they had Scammaca up front
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

People's disrespect of Michail Antonio is pretty Spursy. Ask most Premier League centre halves who they hate playing against & I reckon a lot of them would rate Antonio in their top 3 toughest opponents.

I can't see why the two of them couldn't play together to be honest
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

Denbighammer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:48 pm People's disrespect of Michail Antonio is pretty Spursy. Ask most Premier League centre halves who they hate playing against & I reckon a lot of them would rate Antonio in their top 3 toughest opponents.

The only reason the two of them aren’t playing together is the 4-4-2 falling out of fashion. I really think they could be a good strike partnership when we’re chasing games. Obviously we all look at Scamacca’s height and heading ability, but imagine how many goals he could score with his shooting (which is really good) with Antonio’s work making space for his shots…
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Denbighammer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:48 pm People's disrespect of Michail Antonio is pretty Spursy. Ask most Premier League centre halves who they hate playing against & I reckon a lot of them would rate Antonio in their top 3 toughest opponents.

As Moyes has pointed out to much derision on social media, you can only really play a front two with a back three.

No one in the Premier League plays to up front with a back four, it just leaves you might in midfield.

I think we could play well in a 3412, but the central midfield and Wingbacks would need some work.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

We don’t need to play a front 2 as such the way we played against silkeborg but with Antonio instead of cornet would be perfect.

It would mean dropping fornals and Bowen which means it’s very very unlikely
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1436 likes

Post by D C »

I still we think we could get a good 60 mins out of Antonio on the wing. Unlikely to be worse than what some of our wingers have served up this season
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:31 pm As Moyes has pointed out to much derision on social media, you can only really play a front two with a back three.

No one in the Premier League plays to up front with a back four, it just leaves you might in midfield.

I think we could play well in a 3412, but the central midfield and Wingbacks would need some work.
What should be derided more is Moyes mentioning 'back 3'. We have never played a 'back 3' under Moyes and never will.
We have, however, played a back five with two DMs in front of it many times - with not much success.
Ironically our best performances in a back 5 came with Masuaku at lwb but he became the fall guy for other players who are much less suited at playing WB.
We moved on our only serviceable wing back
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:50 pm Masuaku...
Get well soon Crouchie :winker:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:50 pm What should be derided more is Moyes mentioning 'back 3'. We have never played a 'back 3' under Moyes and never will.
We have, however, played a back five with two DMs in front of it many times - with not much success.
Ironically our best performances in a back 5 came with Masuaku at lwb but he became the fall guy for other players who are much less suited at playing WB.
We moved on our only serviceable wing back
I don't know why he'd be derided for saying "you can only play 2 up front in this league with a back 3", because he's right.

It's pretty clear from the heat maps that it's a back three with the Wingbacks playing in line with our two midfielders.

Honestly that's too defensive for my liking, they should be higher up the pitch and we certainly don't need three CBs AND Rice with Soucek.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Moyes won't even play Antonio & Scamacca together for 10 minutes. What's the worst that could happen? 10 minutes probably isn't long enough to form a partnership but when we are 1 nil down then it isn't that much of a risk to bring on an extra striker.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

jastons wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:53 am Moyes won't even play Antonio & Scamacca together for 10 minutes. What's the worst that could happen? 10 minutes probably isn't long enough to form a partnership but when we are 1 nil down then it isn't that much of a risk to bring on an extra striker.
It would make it more difficult for Moyes to play his preferred, 7 at the back formation.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1330 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

SullySpecial wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:35 am It would make it more difficult for Moyes to play his preferred, 7 at the back formation.
And there lies the reason we struggle to score from open play….. Moyes talks about a 3 at the back system and I suspect dreams of Kehrer Zouma and Aguerd as his trio, but if you simply add two defensive full backs to two defensive midfielders it’s 7 defenders and we inevitably add Fornals to the mix so ending with Bowen isolated on the right wing and Antonio wrestling oppo centre backs 40 yards away from his team mates.
You cant be effective with a 3 unless you have proper wing backs, so if Moyes wants that system he should have bought a couple this summer.
With the squad we have it’s 433, four defenders ideally with passing ability, three in midfield who can run, pass and tackle one of whom does a holding role, and 3 forwards who have some pace and spend the majority of their time in the oppo half.
blahblahblah
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by blahblahblah »

Watching Italy v England. Italy are horrible, but Scamacca has been excellent at holding up the ball and laying it off to another runner.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I fancy Mike Bassett coming in and saying 'we're playing four, four ****ing two"', and wetting our pants with Scamacca and Antonio starting up front.

I loved the old days, Cottee and McAvennie.
WestSamToo
Has liked: 384 likes
Total likes: 314 likes

Post by WestSamToo »

blahblahblah wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:28 pm Watching Italy v England. Italy are horrible, but Scamacca has been excellent at holding up the ball and laying it off to another runner.
I want him to smash in a hattrick.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

No way should he be on the bench for us.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

How is this bloke not starting for us.

If he isn’t given a run of games as a starter Moyes needs his head testing.