👋 Farewell, Gianluca Scamacca

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Re: ✍ Gianluca Scamacca

Post by Whufc06 »

They don’t give out points for “causing problems”. With Bowen out of form we need our centre forward scoring goals
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Whufc06 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:38 pm They don’t give out points for “causing problems”. With Bowen out of form we need our centre forward scoring goals
Is that about Antonio or Scamacca?
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Antonio scamacca plus one from benrahma bowen fornals

Let's go for it ,we need a win
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:06 am Antonio scamacca plus one from benrahma bowen fornals

Let's go for it ,we need a win
I think a three of Bowen, Scamacca and Antonio with Paqueta, Rice and Downes behind would be vicious.

This home game against Wolves is not a game for Moyes to be conservative. A brace from Scamacca and another from Antonio could electrify our season.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:52 am Is that about Antonio or Scamacca?
Antonio will cause the defence more problems with his running and physicality but I'd put more money on Scamacca taking a chance when presented with one
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Whufc06 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:53 pm Antonio will cause the defence more problems with his running and physicality but I'd put more money on Scamacca taking a chance when presented with one
It depends entirely on the system and the expectations.

That's why I brought in the worrying comparison to Haller.

Haller was a striker that needed the ball to feet and people around him to offload it to quickly so he could burst into the box. Scamacca is almost exactly the same profile. He's usually the pass before the assist and loves making little flicks to players around him.

The West Ham system that has been successful for us has been a low block, counter attacking style that requires strong carriers (Rice, Bowen and Antonio) to create chances created by Fornals' passing.

Antonio fits this as he can carry the ball confidently against defenders and draw more peopel in before releasing others. The space he was given on the ocunter allowed him to be more effective.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

JonG86 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:17 pm The West Ham system that has been successful for us has been a low block, counter attacking style that requires strong carriers (Rice, Bowen and Antonio) to create chances created by Fornals' passing.
Which is what Moyes has made a point about needing to change, no? He's come out and repeatedly said we need to change, he needs 'more Payets' was one quote, I think. The counter attack system has got the teams we would strike on the break playing on the back foot to nullify that style, and Moyes needs to pivot into doing something else. He knows this, and we know this, and so do other clubs. The trouble is, if we're not using the players we have brought in as part of changing that style - Scamacca, Paqueta, Cornet - then we're left with a poorly functioning side either a) playing tactics that we know don't work as well because other teams anticipate them and set up to negate them, or b) trying to play a set of tactics that aren't designed with them in mind.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

YorksHammer wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:44 am The trouble is, if we're not using the players we have brought in as part of changing that style - Scamacca, Paqueta, Cornet - then we're left with a poorly functioning side either a) playing tactics that we know don't work as well because other teams anticipate them and set up to negate them, or b) trying to play a set of tactics that aren't designed with them in mind.
Yep enough is enough.
It's been two weeks, will be the 1st of October.
If Moyes hasn't figured out how to use the new players he choose effectively he should be on borrowed time.

It might not work yet, we might not win.
But we need to see some intent in our play to bring the best out of Scamacca and Paqueta.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

YorksHammer wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:44 am Which is what Moyes has made a point about needing to change, no? He's come out and repeatedly said we need to change, he needs 'more Payets' was one quote, I think. The counter attack system has got the teams we would strike on the break playing on the back foot to nullify that style, and Moyes needs to pivot into doing something else. He knows this, and we know this, and so do other clubs. The trouble is, if we're not using the players we have brought in as part of changing that style - Scamacca, Paqueta, Cornet - then we're left with a poorly functioning side either a) playing tactics that we know don't work as well because other teams anticipate them and set up to negate them, or b) trying to play a set of tactics that aren't designed with them in mind.
Thing is, he needs to change the system and really commit to it. This may see us play like crap for al ittle bit, but pay dividends in the long term. Similar to what happened at Arsenal when they spent £100m on players. They lost their first 3 on the bounce and struggled, but now look at them.

We've played Man City, Spurs, Villa and Everton playing in a similar way as we have in previous years. The only game that has seen a real change in our venture forwards and pressing was Nottingham Forest.

It's concerning and I hope we see a real change against Wolves. Even a win playing the same was as Everton will be worrying tbh.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

It feels to me like it's a matter of when, not if he eventually clicks in this Team. Never any guarantees but that's how I see it panning out.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Got to get on the pitch first
Antonio playing 87 mins must mean scamacca starts against wolves
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

What a belter. Played great and came across well after the game. Onwards and upwards!
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Made himself at home today, as he should 👍
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

From the Beeb
Gianluca Scamacca is the 161st player to score a Premier League goal for West Ham.

That is the joint most scorers for one team in the competition, along with Newcastle.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

He struggles when defenders stick tight to him. Today he was playing against Neves who just let him have the ball. He did well, but won't get an easier game all year.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:17 pm He struggles when defenders stick tight to him. Today he was playing against Neves who just let him have the ball. He did well, but won't get an easier game all year.
I see absolute no evidence of that!
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

Looks like a second in command 80s Bond villain and I very much suspect he has a cocktail stick tucked in the side of his mouth when not playing. However, he’ll do for me!! Great goal and an exciting talent!
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

ironilunga wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:25 pm Looks like a second in command 80s Bond villain and I very much suspect he has a cocktail stick tucked in the side of his mouth when not playing. However, he’ll do for me!! Great goal and an exciting talent!
Mr Stamper in Tomorrow Never Dies...
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

smuts wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:41 pm Mr Stamper in Tomorrow Never Dies...
Good god yes!Image
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

What about the fella Timothy Dalton dropped into a grinder in Licence To Kill?