👋 Farewell, Gianluca Scamacca

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Re: ✍ Gianluca Scamacca

Post by Kermit »

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:30 pm Just another player who must start to be thinking ‘I made a mistake in signing for this club’
We don’t play to his strengths and it makes him look ineffective.
Paqueta will be next.
Personally I couldn't understand why so many people were getting excited about signing Paqueta. I hadn't seen much of him before he came and can't remember him doing much when we played Lyon.

I hadn't seen much of Payet either before he joined but after his first 30 minutes at The Emirates in his first game it was obvious we had signed a player of real quality. For me Paqueta has shown nothing to suggest he will justify the huge fee we paid for him. Of course it's early days but for the sort of fee we paod I would at least expect someone who can hit the ground running.

Scammaca looks a decent player but it is patently obvious he isn't Antomio Mark II. Broja was apparently our first choice striker and he is similar in style to Antonio. As we only appear to have one system to play to the same seems to be the case here as when we signed Sebastien Haller after Maxi Gomez, a totally different style of player , turned us down.

Joined up thinking it isn't.
Seaviewhammer

Post by Seaviewhammer »

Bavarian_Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:53 pm I think the plan is to sit back and try to misplace the pass on a counter attack. To mix it up we sometimes hoof it up front for the lone striker to chase but without the rest of the team following. Otherwise the opposition might have trouble controlling the ball under pressure and give it away in a dangerous position.
That is it, pretty much spot on.Strangely it’s worked for a while,but it was never going to work long term.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

It’s hard to judge Scamacca when every creative player we have is out of form, other than Benny when he comes off the bench.

It is however I bit worrying that we don’t seem to be changing the way we play or getting anything out of him in the prem.

Moyes needs to rethink his tactic or playing a low block and be more offensive.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Bought him on yesterday and for some reason we stopped getting crosses in (mainly because Bowen was version 22/23 and Cornet couldn't trap a bag of sand).

You could see him get frustrated and ended up putting in a daft challenge that allowed Everton to waste another 3 minutes.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

It's time to let him loose. 90 minutes every week in the Premier League. The same goes for most of our new signings from the summer. However many millions spent, however many players brought in, and only two of them have actually completed a full 90 minutes for us since signing - Kehrer and Emerson.

We can't keep saying 'we're bedding these players in'. They've been here for long enough now to be match fit and to be starting games for us. After this International break it's time for players like Scamacca, Paqueta, and Cornet to be starting every week.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Antonio has got just one goal in his seven league games this season, almost all starts.

I’d start him again versus Wolves but he’s running out of chances to show he should be first chance up front.

Scamacca can hopefully carry on getting goals in Europe and Blackburn in the cup to add to his confidence.
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

Roby wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:44 am Antonio has got just one goal in his seven league games this season, almost all starts.

I’d start him again versus Wolves but he’s running out of chances to show he should be first chance up front.

Scamacca can hopefully carry on getting goals in Europe and Blackburn in the cup to add to his confidence.
How many more sodding chances does Antonio need? It's not just the one league goal this season, it's the four he's scored this year - and one of those was on the 1st January. That despite starting, and often finishing, matches.

I love the guy, I really do, and I accept the argument that he offers much more than goals - but at some point in time we have to boil it down to the fact that our centre forward isn't putting the ball in the net, and that's what they should be doing.

Enough is enough, and it's time for a change.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Antonio has served as well, but it’s time for Scamacca.

Moyes should tell him he’s first choice striker and he is going to be given a long run of games.

This bedding in signings slowly isn’t working for the team, and risks destroying the new players confidence.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

It will mean Moyes changing the way we play… I can only hope he will

It will mean someone playing close to Scamacca (Antonio/Bowen/cornet) getting paqueta in a proper no 10 position then getting the ball quickly to THIER FEET!

Let them off the leash ffs
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Kermit wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:34 pm
Scammaca looks a decent player but it is patently obvious he isn't Antomio Mark II. Broja was apparently our first choice striker and he is similar in style to Antonio. As we only appear to have one system to play to the same seems to be the case here as when we signed Sebastien Haller after Maxi Gomez, a totally different style of player , turned us down.

Joined up thinking it isn't.
Yet the thinking among many on here over the last few windows has been “any striker will do”, “how hard is it to sign a striker” and “are you trying to tell me that there isn’t a single suitable striker available”.

I’d say, after realising there isn’t a striker out there [attainable] that can do the job our system requires, we’ve gone and signed the best striker we can and also a few players that will work in the system our new striker requires. We are then in that awkward transition between systems. Do we play Antonio and to his strengths for the best shot-term results, or do we chuck in all the new boys and get the team to play a new system, potentially destroying their confidence?

I reckon our terrible start in the league is pushing Moyes to stick with tried-and-trusted. It’ll take time to change the ethos and get the best out of our ‘new team’, exacerbated by our poor league form.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

Can you imagine he scores a few in the international break…

Lolz
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

A good post Leon, but isn't the point of playing the tried and tested to get results while you bed in the new boys? Things have been so bad upfront for so long that I can understand the "f*** it, let's roll the dice" thinking.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:43 am It's time to let him loose. 90 minutes every week in the Premier League. The same goes for most of our new signings from the summer. However many millions spent, however many players brought in, and only two of them have actually completed a full 90 minutes for us since signing - Kehrer and Emerson.

We can't keep saying 'we're bedding these players in'. They've been here for long enough now to be match fit and to be starting games for us. After this International break it's time for players like Scamacca, Paqueta, and Cornet to be starting every week.
Fair point. OK, and how long would you give it (and Moyes) to see it turn into success? It's a plan, would you give it say 6, 10, 15 matches to see it meld and turn into results? When would you revert to a Plan B or would you stick with it? It's easy for us to come with ideas and plans when our job isn't on the line.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Moyes talks about the new players like they are crap.

If they are that bad that daring to use them instantly skyrockets the chances for an already losing team to lose more - then why did you buy them?

It’s Gianluca Scamacca. Not some third division no mark.

Just the other night he smashed a ball into the goal from outside the box. Something Antonio has done once in 7 years.
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:23 pm Fair point. OK, and how long would you give it (and Moyes) to see it turn into success? It's a plan, would you give it say 6, 10, 15 matches to see it meld and turn into results? When would you revert to a Plan B or would you stick with it? It's easy for us to come with ideas and plans when our job isn't on the line.
To be honest, I would normally say give a season 10 games before deciding things aren't working and starting to make changes. The truth is we've been poor across almost all seven of those games, with 45 minute exceptions here or there, and nothing is working for us when we are looking more positive. That should be enough to accept that changes need to be made, tactical or personnel-wise.

Moyes should know this, too - he can't be seeing the same performances we are seeing for 60-70 minutes of most games and thinking everything is fine. He also should be seeing Scamacca playing well in Europe and thinking that it's not time to use him more regularly in the league, level of opposition not withstanding. He also shouldn't see someone like Cornet come on at the weekend and offer more in the left wing role than we'd had all game, including his movement creating two opportunities for him to strike at goal, without thinking that it's clear he should be used more. Why is it that he's watched Benrahma be a bright spot coming off the bench and isn't using him more regularly as a starter?

There are players that are showing good things in the few minutes they get in the league, and yet every week it's the same thing - they sit on the bench, come on for 20 minutes when we're already behind and try and make things happen, their performances lift us, and then next week...back on the bench.

At least Scamacca's still gorgeous.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:30 pm Just another player who must start to be thinking ‘I made a mistake in signing for this club’
We don’t play to his strengths and it makes him look ineffective.
Paqueta will be next.
The guy turned down PSG to join us.

Has to start against Wolves for me. Antonio seems a much better prospect coming off the bench against a tired Wolves defence.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Ha, ha Yorks, well at least we seem to have met your expectations in the eye candy box. As I say, it's a difficult path to tread when integrating players and changing from a team that punched well above its weight to a team than consistently deserves to be there. Some will want results now (probably the Board and some younger supporters) and some will have more patience (of differing length).
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

MB wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:06 pm A good post Leon, but isn't the point of playing the tried and tested to get results while you bed in the new boys? Things have been so bad upfront for so long that I can understand the "**** it, let's roll the dice" thinking.
Oh 100%

I’m firmly in the ‘play the new players & system’, but that’s said with a huge slice of hindsight. In an ideal world, I think he’d have liked to get the results with the old guard in the league whilst integrating the new system in Europe. Something is going horribly wrong.
MD_HM
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Romfordboy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:58 pm Can you imagine he scores a few in the international break…

Lolz
Scores 3 against England and on the bench against Wolves :grin:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Hope he scores snd plays well against England. Need bowen yo wake up as well !