👋 Farewell, Gianluca Scamacca

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Re: ✍ Gianluca Scamacca

Post by hammers92 »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:44 am I know we love to rewrite history when things suit but broja isn't anything like antonio , he is as slow as scamacca..
That’s not correct. Broja is very fast.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:46 am That’s not correct. Broja is very fast.
He really isn't..he is as fast as scamacca..who is by no means slow. Neither are as fast as Antonio
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:53 am He really isn't..he is as fast as scamacca..who is by no means slow. Neither are as fast as Antonio
Mate that’s simply not true. There was a good piece done on him in the summer where they went into how surprisingly fast he was for Southampton, I can try dig it out if you really want. But that’s not the point I’m making.

Broja was No.1 choice. And Scamacca is nothing like him and seemingly was the No.2 option. They’re both very different strikers so it doesn’t make sense to me signing him and then not building the team around his strengths. Instead, we’re asking him to do a different role to what he’s used to.

It’s either tactical or we’ve again spunked money for the banter.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:44 am I know we love to rewrite history when things suit but broja isn't anything like antonio , he is as slow as scamacca..
Lots of irony in this post.

Can only assume you’ve not watch Broja who is easily faster than Scamacca. I reckon he’d give the slower version of Antonio we now have a lot of trouble in a foot race.

That being said, Moyes was clearly excited by the signing of Scamacca. It’s letting Moyes off far too lightly if we blame his poor use of Scamacca because he never wanted him, as his comments on the player just don’t suit that narrative.
Last edited by stu1 on Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

Bowen a needs to be within 10 yards of Scamacca at all times so he can feed off he flicks etc…

Would mean a different approach from Moyes though
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:42 am Agree with that. Personally, I think we start Antonio on Boxing Day if the manager is still here as the system works with him in it rather than Scamacca. Though that also won’t be popular!
It works but I don't like it.... Having to fall back to Antonio is not a sign that Antonio is a great striker. It's a sign that we have major deficiencies in terms of the players supporting a striker and in the way we play. We're forced back to playing a striker that can create his own opportunities because nobody else in the team is capable of creating them for him. I wanted to move on from that. I think Moyes does too but he's having some difficulties with the execution at the moment.

Problem is that we brought in a player, Paqueta (who I really rate by the way), who looks more at home in the middle third than the final third. We wanted Lingard and that would have really helped us with our attacking play. Paqueta is not a plan B to Lingard. I still see him at his best as a deep lying playmaker that puts in a defensive shift (made more tackles than anyone else yesterday). Cornet isn't really a suitable replacement either. We looked at Dennis and Sarr, and I think they would have fit Moyes's preferred style better... but we didn't opt for them for whatever reason. I saw the signings as a sign that Moyes was looking into changing the way we play - and it's a fair assumption as Moyes himself has hinted at that.

We're struggling with the execution though and personally I don't think we have a management team (including coaches) that's geared up to be successful with that transition. Early days yet though and such a transition takes time, as it also does with new players settling in. Notts Forest have found that out too and I think they'll be a much better team in the latter stages of the season. That might come too late for them though - it's the risk they took.

I think one of the reasons we'll struggle with it is due to the risk averse, defence first methods of Moyes. I think we'll try and transition but the temptation to fall back to the old ways when things aren't working will be too great. I think we'll be in a constant state of back and forth, never quite moving forward enough with that transition. The coaches McKinlay, Nevin, and Nolan are all in tune with the defence first philosophy (Nevin who also works with Southgate and worked with Hughtons ultra defensive Brighton - and Nolan who employed a negative defence first strategy whilst at Notts County). Maybe we brought Warbuton in to help with that transition... that makes sense to me right now although I don't think it's enough. All my personal opinion of course.

I mean really, if we were just going to stick to the sit deep and counter approach whilst relying on power and pace up top, we really would have been better off just buying greasy Traore.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:59 am Mate that’s simply not true. There was a good piece done on him in the summer where they went into how surprisingly fast he was for Southampton, I can try dig it out if you really want. But that’s not the point I’m making.

Broja was No.1 choice. And Scamacca is nothing like him and seemingly was the No.2 option. They’re both very different strikers so it doesn’t make sense to me signing him and then not building the team around his strengths. Instead, we’re asking him to do a different role to what he’s used to.

It’s either tactical or we’ve again spunked money for the banter.
How many games has scamacca played with paquata behind him?

The team is out of form it's easy just to look at his fee and judge.

He is settling in a new control that's a minimum of 12 months before adjust to a league fully before people can judge

He has shown some real quality in parts, when a team is out of form it's hard for any creative player to shine.

Bit of patience doesn't cost us fans anything but we never display any.
jastons
Has liked: 893 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by jastons »

1895Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:43 am I wonder if Cornet is the missing link here ? He has real pace and 9 goals in a struggling Burnley side suggest he can finish. Was he supposed to be the Raspadori in the equation, providing speed and better opportunity for Scamacca and Paqueta to pay 1-2’s and “ 3rd man running “ football ? If that was the plan I still don’t see why Bowen couldn’t be played close to Scamacca, not as fast as Cornet we know he can score.
Not saying you are wrong but who does Cornet play instead of?

Moyes won't drop Bowen or Soucek and Benny has been one of our best players.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:07 am It works but I don't like it.... Having to fall back to Antonio is not a sign that Antonio is a great striker. It's a sign that we have major deficiencies in terms of the players supporting a striker and in the way we play. We're forced back to playing a striker that can create his own opportunities because nobody else in the team is capable of creating them for him. I wanted to move on from that. I think Moyes does too but he's having some difficulties with the execution at the moment.

Problem is that we brought in a player, Paqueta (who I really rate by the way), who looks more at home in the middle third than the final third. We wanted Lingard and that would have really helped us with our attacking play. Paqueta is not a plan B to Lingard. I still see him at his best as a deep lying playmaker that puts in a defensive shift (made more tackles than anyone else yesterday). Cornet isn't really a suitable replacement either. We looked at Dennis and Sarr, and I think they would have fit Moyes's preferred style better... but we didn't opt for them for whatever reason. I saw the signings as a sign that Moyes was looking into changing the way we play - and it's a fair assumption as Moyes himself has hinted at that.

We're struggling with the execution though and personally I don't think we have a management team (including coaches) that's geared up to be successful with that transition. Early days yet though and such a transition takes time, as it also does with new players settling in. Notts Forest have found that out too and I think they'll be a much better team in the latter stages of the season. That might come too late for them though - it's the risk they took.

I think one of the reasons we'll struggle with it is due to the risk averse, defence first methods of Moyes. I think we'll try and transition but the temptation to fall back to the old ways when things aren't working will be too great. I think we'll be in a constant state of back and forth, never quite moving forward enough with that transition. The coaches McKinlay, Nevin, and Nolan are all in tune with the defence first philosophy (Nevin who also works with Southgate and worked with Hughtons ultra defensive Brighton - and Nolan who employed a negative defence first strategy whilst at Notts County). Maybe we brought Warbuton in to help with that transition... that makes sense to me right now although I don't think it's enough. All my personal opinion of course.

I mean really, if we were just going to stick to the sit deep and counter approach whilst relying on power and pace up top, we really would have been better off just buying greasy Traore.
Would love to see paquata next to rice and fornals in the 10
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:07 am Bit of patience doesn't cost us fans anything but we never display any.
This is nonsense and you haven’t read my posts.

I’m saying that we are not getting the best out of him through our tactical approach. If we was, and he was still struggling and getting stick, you can make that point.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

jastons wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:09 am Not saying you are wrong but who does Cornet play instead of?

If Cornet proves he has an end product then he could replace any player that currently doesn't.

At the moment that's all of them.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

jastons wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:09 am Not saying you are wrong but who does Cornet play instead of?

Ha, you think that’ll stop moyes. Benny is straight out the side no questions asked.
jastons
Has liked: 893 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by jastons »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:11 am If Cornet proves he has an end product then he could replace any player that currently doesn't.

At the moment that's all of them.
Can't argue with that!
Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:37 am Countering doesn't just mean whacking a long ball forward for the striker to chase. Other players should be getting up there in support quickly and overlapping. Our counter attacking is failing simply because we're not very good at it at the moment.
Agree with Burnley. If you look at Scamacca's YouTube goals, he wants the ball in front of him with players around him to interact. He is uncomfortable with the back to goal style which Antonio is so good at. If you watch his off the ball movement he is making space and looking for balls that never come, they just end up wide. I can't blame him for being frustrated, what can he do when he doesn't get the ball in central positions which he should do, being a centre forward. If you see his hot chart, it is mostly around the box and not in it, implying that he goes looking for the ball. He is a decent striker, give him the right ball and a sniff at goal and he will bury it but our painfully slow build ups and incessant wing play offers him few, if any, opportunities. It is Haller all over again, it just can't be a coincidence?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:07 am

Bit of patience doesn't cost us fans anything but we never display any.
I agree. I think the way Paqueta and Scammaca are being used as if they are rubbish and have been dumped on poor old Moyes is stupid. Obviously that take is a minority one, but is a silly one. Those two do seem to be taking the brunt of it though. As I said, people urge patience with Moyes, but don’t seem to want to give the same courtesy to some of the players.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I think there’s a good player there. Even yesterday you can see he showed some small glimpses of being a very good footballer. But as I said before he signed, I didn’t think he suited us whatsoever. And sadly I think I was right. I’m not even sure he would work in most other Premier League clubs.

If anyone thought getting rid of Moyes in favour for another manager who could get the best out of Scamacca, I think you’ll be in for surprise, as I think most managers would ditch him straightaway.

In the summer window we needed a long term replacement for Antonio. What I want to know is who scouted and thought Scamacca would be able to be that man? If Moyes equally approved this signing then that’s just as concerning.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:37 am
If anyone thought getting rid of Moyes in favour for another manager who could get the best out of Scamacca, I think you’ll be in for surprise, as I think most managers would ditch him straightaway.
Good post FC & spot on about the above.👍

It's one strange signing & I know we're struggling as a team at the moment, loss of confidence etc...Scamacca has ability but he just doesn't give opposition defenders enough sh*t during the 90 mins. Faes & Amartey wouldn't have had an easier afternoon & both must of breathed a sigh of relief when Antonio wasn't in the squad.

I wouldn't say Scamacca was lazy, but we know after his midweek interview that he bases his game on, playing like his hero Eric Cantona. The 'I will score goals, due to my greater intelligence & technical ability', ain't gonna work alot of the time. Good old fashioned getting stuck in, making a nuisance of himself & creating something out of nothing, has to be part of his game.

He is no way the finished article, which is a good thing as he can only get better but as Funky said above, I don't think we paid £35m for an unfinished talent, that might take 2 years more to hit his true potential? IMO it's a serious gamble, that unfortunately not going to work out.

Whoever wanted him, (& I include Moyes in that) & honestly believed he was worth £35m should be sacked for their incompetence. Crazy signing. 😞
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by waynepin »

match of the day last night highlighted Brentford when Toney wins a high ball in the air, he had three other Brentford players round him one either side and one behind , when Toney wins the header it goes to the player behind and the others are already moving forwards, , we are used to Antonio with no one within 20 yards of him hoping to create something. Haller and now Scamacca cannot be judged on performance when they are so isolated, we are so set up defensively that we need Usain Bolt type speed to support the attacks. no wonder both Haller was accused of looking disinterested and now Scamacca the same they signed to score goals, not be a hold up player to ease pressure of the defence.
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

He’s finding out why Antonio always looks like he wants to cry or hit someone. He’s scored about 3 goals in 40 games for us too.

9 (or 7) is the loneliest number at West Ham United.

Honestly people should watch what he’s being supplied with and how we’re setting up. It’s so insular and frustrating to watch, can’t imagine what it must be like to play.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

e17 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:00 pm He’s finding out why Antonio always looks like he wants to cry or hit someone. He’s scored about 3 goals in 40 games for us too.

9 (or 7) is the loneliest number at West Ham United.

Honestly people should watch what he’s being supplied with and how we’re setting up. It’s so insular and frustrating to watch, can’t imagine what it must be like to play.
I feel really sorry for him, he started the season pretty well and was looking a real handful, but gradually week by week the tactics are shackling him to the point he is disinterested.