👋 Farewell, Gianluca Scamacca

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Re: ✍ Gianluca Scamacca

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Happyhammer52 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:43 am Absolutely no backlift, if that was Antonio his leg would be coming back down about now. Fantastic strike.
Hasselbaink would be proud.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Denzil wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:16 am He feels like he's going to be a special player this lad. Gets stuck in too and has a very very clean strike on him.
Has got winner written all over him. He seems to have this calm self assurance that I clocked as soon as he arrived. Just seems to take everything in his stride.

Going forwards I think this set up and personnel will get the best from him;

……………………….Scamacca………………………..

Cornet……………………?………………………Bowen

……………..Rice………………Paqueta…………….

The number 10 role is up for grabs. If nobody can stake a claim then perhaps we go into the market next year and also off load one or two.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Just thinking about it having watched some of the Liverpool game last night, it is amazing how well he has settled compared to someone like Nunez. Appreciate the sending off derailed Nunez to an extent, but Scamacca joined us later and had time out with the virus.

You never know what would happen if you’d signed player A rather than player B, but it does look like Nunez turning us down may have worked in our favour.

I still think Nunez will go on to be a very good player, but we needed someone to share the load with Antonio immediately and we’ve got that.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

MB wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:06 am Just thinking about it having watched some of the Liverpool game last night, it is amazing how well he has settled compared to someone like Nunez. Appreciate the sending off derailed Nunez to an extent, but Scamacca joined us later and had time out with the virus.

You never know what would happen if you’d signed player A rather than player B, but it does look like Nunez turning us down may have worked in our favour.

I still think Nunez will go on to be a very good player, but we needed someone to share the load with Antonio immediately and we’ve got that.
I was thinking the same.

I don't know who the better player is, but Gianluca certainly appears to be the more composed, more settled of the two.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

MB wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:06 am Just thinking about it having watched some of the Liverpool game last night, it is amazing how well he has settled compared to someone like Nunez. Appreciate the sending off derailed Nunez to an extent, but Scamacca joined us later and had time out with the virus.
Nunez played 39 mins on his Liverpool league debut and got a goal and an assist in that time. Before that he'd played 31 mins in the Community Shield and scored too. Two goals and an assist in his first 70 mins of football in England? He looked like he'd settled in perfectly at that point! :grin:

I think the ridiculous red card in his third league game has completely dominated the narrative, understandably. If he'd not done that then I suspect he'd have been way ahead of where he is now and Liverpool would likely be higher up the league too, but we'll never know. Very difficult to judge really.
claretnblueglasses
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by claretnblueglasses »

From what I have seen, I think Scamacca looks to be a more technically accomplished footballer than Nunez - who while capable of the sublime (based on his time at Benfica), looks a bit clumsy in open play.
MB

Post by MB »

Agreed and in no way am I writing off Nunez, more praising the character of Scamacca for how he has settled.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

MB wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:54 am Agreed and in no way am I writing off Nunez, more praising the character of Scamacca for how he has settled.
Nunez don't actually look that great though, does he ?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

S-H wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:29 am Image
That little smile! My little heart cannot deal with this.
MB

Post by MB »

ironilunga wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:01 am Has got winner written all over him. He seems to have this calm self assurance that I clocked as soon as he arrived. Just seems to take everything in his stride.

Going forwards I think this set up and personnel will get the best from him;

……………………….Scamacca………………………..

Cornet……………………?………………………Bowen

……………..Rice………………Paqueta…………….

The number 10 role is up for grabs. If nobody can stake a claim then perhaps we go into the market next year and also off load one or two.
The answer is your ? Is the wrong side of the two CMs :winker:

Given Scamacca's preferred movement, I'd leave him that pocket of space for him to work in rather than putting another body in there.

I'd probably change that view if we had a Nolan type to exploit the space Scamacca's movement should create.

But that probably explains my Soucek bias as I love a runner from deep.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I think he's going to score a beautiful winner in a Cup Final for us.
MB

Post by MB »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:57 am Nunez don't actually look that great though, does he ?
Too early to say I think Puff. Other than the sitter he missed, he looked great in pre season and early in the league till he got sent off.

The movement is still there but he looks totally devoid of confidence when he is on the ball.

Seems to be more of an out and out striker as well so if he isn't scoring then more questions will get asked as he naturally has less impact on the game.

Not sure he'd have slotted in as well for us as Scamacca has, but in terms of potential I'd expect he has more upside.
S-H

Post by S-H »

YorksHammer wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:58 am That little smile! My little heart cannot deal with this.
That one was for you..

:D
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:44 am Hasselbaink would be proud.
Good comparison…he really struck the ball as hard and consistently as anyone.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

This guy knows where the onion bag is

5 goals now his xg is going to be ridic at this rate
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

......I might have been wrong.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Some of the touches, this bloke knows how to play.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Magnifico!

🤌🤌🤌
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

It's lovely to have a real striker at last This bloke doesn't need 4 or 5 chances to score1
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Absolute mustard.

Bloody hell how good is he? Finishing, hold up, touches, link-up, movement, aerial prowess, intelligence and works hard.

He’s even good looking because of course.