West Ham Utd 0-2 Manchester City (7/8/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by Albie Beck »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:40 am Simply put, City are so strong they let Sterling and Jesus go to their rivals.
Clearly (and probably rightly :lol: ) they don't see Chelsea and Arsenal as rivals.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

WebmasterFF wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:02 am Of note the total time from Areola coming on to the penalty being scored was 7 minutes. I wonder if trying to 'settle into the game' was a factor there too
I said when he came on, I hate substitute goalkeepers. You don't want your goalkeeper coming in cold.
kentboleyn
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by kentboleyn »

So we had only 1 centre half. 3 full backs always gonna be hard and Haalands pace was awsome!We lookes stale, the same old team, we need the new signings to hit the ground running, and a couple of new signings.Reminded me of defense v attack in a training session.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Have to add the Haalands milkman must have been some player. Didn’t get all that from his dad
ExeC
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by ExeC »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:37 am season starts at forest no doom and gloom
more annoyed with NFC,beer prices and the wall !
If your phone isn't NFC enabled you'll need to show the code. I suspect that's why you had so many issues.

Mine and my dads felt like a breeze, was no issue. So might just be certain unlucky/ non enabled or phones with NFC disabled in settings.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Cancelo might be the best player in the league.

Christ. What a ridiculously elite footballer.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

kentboleyn wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:35 am .Reminded me of defense v attack in a training session.
Was a bit like that at times, and we often gave them the ball back for another go
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:47 am Cancelo might be the best player in the league.

For a RB, he might just be the best LB in the world.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:47 am Cancelo might be the best player in the league.

Fantastic player, whatever position he plays he looks so comfortable- bloke is a pure footballer
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Rio wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:39 amHave to add the Haalands milkman must have been some player. Didn’t get all that from his dad

Haaland has always been his own milkman
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:15 am a couple of things from this game.
1 The NFC thing didnt work very well at entrance F . took me 4 goes at 3 turnstiles to get in. started off showing the first page of my season ticket. after a few negatives I was told to show the QR code bit which gave me the green light !
2. prices !!! no early bird at the BB stand.
3. onto the game at a hot LS

!
Hammerman, you don't need to show anything with NFC. One of the problems I noticed was that people were still putting their phones inside the old read scanners instead of waving it near the NFC part.
There were also people that thought you still needed a QR code and opened their phones to show the QR code.
Largely though I think it seemed to go pretty well.
Saw no massive queues outside but would be interested to know what other people's experiences were.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

szola wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:20 am Image

Haaland has always been his own milkman
Just out of shot, Bowen is pulling that tractor.
OatcakeIron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OatcakeIron »

Thank god that one’s out of the way.
Personnel permitting I’m sure Moyes would’ve played a back five limiting Grealish and Foden. All things considered the back four did pretty well tho I can’t believe how slow Johnson is.
Rice and Fornals grew into the game but Lanzini and Soucek were passengers.
Antonio needs to stop trying to buy a foul and I hope Bowen hasn’t got first cap syndrome and thinks he’s better than he is.
Overall worst team to play with an injured squad on a red hot day.
Onwards and upwards
Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Our two periods of possession, early first half and in the period immediately before they scored their 2nd, gave us opportunities which when you are feeding on scraps and up against it you have to make the most of and we didn't.
The early first half period where we were on top was ended when their keeper went down for an age with an "injury" and that broke up our rhythm and got them re-set and we lost our rhythm completely. The second half when we had control of the ball saw a really good passing movement end when Rice pissed a clear chance up the wall and twenty feet over the bar. We then had to watched Coufal and Benrahma get into great crossing positions and put in poor efforts, especially Benrahma whose weakness when presented with a decent crossing opportunity or presented with a chance to play someone in see's him make the wrong pass and is what's stopping his progress with us.
I really didn't expect us to get anything from yesterday, but I did expect us to score. We had short periods of decent controlled possession in good positions, but lacked the player to make the pass and when we did build a clear opening Rice blew it, which was incredibly frustrating.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

How typically West Ham that we go into the season with 1 out of 5 centre backs fit.

It was not unexpected but equally I was a little disappointed with how passive we were and our anticipation. There was very little aggression. It was a game crying out for a Noble sliding tackle to put someone on their arse. Rice did it a little, one magnificent tackle on De Bruyne right towards the end, but apart from that, we didn't get amongst it. We obviously had to be extremely disciplined but unlike the same fixture last season, that seemed to mean the players became quite fearful of actually going forward. In the second half there were three or four occasions where the space was behind the full back yet most noticeably Cresswell and Bowen only decided to run after the ball had been played.

Anyway, onto next week. A season is not defined after the first game nor how you do against Man City.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Fact we had to play three full backs in a back four is very disappointing, we have had months to get ready for that game.

First five minutes were very impressive from us, really took the game to them but then the intensity just dropped completely for the best part of an hour.

Antonio was very disappointing, even before the injury.
The amount of time it took to take Antonio off was also very disappointing. It was a complete mess, Fornals had no idea what was being asked of him, Antonio dropped out wide and Scamacca was getting through more running on the sideline than Antonio was able to do on the pitch.

Timing of the penalty was very unfortunate but the first goal was always coming.

Man City are very impressive. João Cancelo caused us no end of trouble from the full back role and I will hold my hands up and say how impressive Haarland was. Far better than I expected him to be. He has everything and took his goal so well. Add to that some effortless play from the likes of Foden and De Bruyne... they are going to be an unbelievable side this season.

I am still yet to be bowled over by Grealish though, skinned Coufal once or twice but offered very little else for me. Maybe his diving antics blinker my view.

Scamacca looked impressive in his 30min spell, all things considered there was a lot to be excited about from him. Very unlucky with his header, deserved a goal there.

Thought we were getting into the game and setting up a decent last 20 but then Man City showed just why you have to be so cautious and defensive against them. As soon as we went chasing, bang, bang, finish, goal. Game Over.

We were given the run around by a very strong Man City team who I expect to be champions and there isn't too much to take away from the game. Next week will be a far better barometer of the task we have on our hands.

Our first choice XI (if we can get them all fit) will no doubt be stronger than it was last season but the fact we had two keepers and essentially three youth team lads on the bench was alarming.

It will be a very tough season for us if we cannot recruit a few squad players in the next few weeks.
Last edited by sutts07 on Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We look so ****ing unfit, it is unreal
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:06 am We look so ****ing unfit, it is unreal
I agree, we were made to chase shadows on a pretty hot day so it is hard to tell just how off the pace we were, but it was quite alarming.

Fulham v Liverpool the day before was the polar opposite. A very lacklustre Liverpool team and a very high tempo Fulham performance, Liverpool still came very close (within and inch) of winning that one.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

City started yesterday with 4 players on the bench that would walk in to any other PL's starting XI, including ours, but made certain their No.1 summer signing was fit, firing on all cylinders and ready to go from the off.

We on the other hand started with players who were all with us last season, a couple of whom have question marks over as to their continued capability. Our bench had 3 new signings on it, a sure sign they had arrived too late.

Yesterday we saw the worst of Antonio, disinterested, disheartened and dispossesed all too easily. The presence of Scamacca on the bench appeared to demotivate him rather than fire him up, a worrying sign. I would hope he would fight harder for his starting berth.

We saw a tired looking Bowen, jaded Rice, leggy Zouma, all players we run in to the ground due to the size of our squad, and Fornals and Lanzini spent the afternoon chasing shadows, City passing us off the park.

For fully 85 minutes City were in complete control, we had 2 sort periods where we looked competitive, but it was an illusion. We simply weren't able to compete with them. Their command of the game was such I would expect them to rack up 106 points this season, maybe two defeats and a draw to blemish what otherwise could be a perfect record. Yes, they were that good.

Haaland ? Absurdly good, he will score bundles. Absolute bundles with KDB feeding him. His bursts in to our box were textbook, and Ben Johnson ought to be grateful for the education he got yesterday - he did well against a frankly superb striker.

The pitiful sight of Benny coming on to try and get us something, the Chairmans folly, being exposed as the championship level fodder he is didn't raise ones spirits at all but Scamacca did well in the air, albeit I'm not too sure about his feet.

Overall a poor start albeit against a brilliant City side. Next up we face Forest who looked an absolute mess in their game, not surprising given the number of new faces they have. We on the other hand looked flat, worn out and in desperate need of the cavalry. Drop points at the City ground and we are under pressure.

The gap is getting bigger.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:33 am
The gap is getting bigger.
Yes it is.

City in 3rd gear just walked that match. Their CB's could have played in flip flops, the amount of pressure we put them under.