West Ham Utd 0-2 Manchester City (7/8/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by Billydinho »

F*ck me Man City are dull.

Couldn’t watch that snooze fest every week.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:02 pm You said Ederson didn't make a save, he literally did make a save.

He also saved from Scamacca's header, albeit offside.

Fine margins and that's the same amount of shots on target. The difference being they had the best striker in the world up front.
okay on paper a save. as I said clutching at straws. he dives full lenght to tip a ball past the post is a save.

and we're counting saves that had the ball gone it it wouldn't have counted anyway because the player was offside.

please mate. you're despeartely trying to invent something that doesn't exist except in your mind.

and the difference being that they have the best team position for position in the PL. not just the best striker. he wasn't the difference between us yesterday. and if you think he was, you must have been watching a much different game. and you must not know much about football.

a team that hardly got out of second gear, against a team that raised the white flag before the players even took the knee.

they had 75% possession us ? don't have to be a math genius to figure that out
14 shots to our 6
2 on target to our 1 (the roller to Ederson that has been discussed), their's resulted in 2 goals.

here's a clue that might help you understand

IT'S HARD TO SCORE WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE THE BALL.

not impossible, but very hard nonetheless.

you could say we got a "moral victory."

they have 3 points. we have none.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

S-H wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:23 pm Image
hahahaaahaahaa that's really incredibly funny that is..

:asleep:
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

El brooko79 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:36 pm I've got a lot of time for Antonio and he has done an outstanding job for us in both output and commitment.

But you take beast mode out of his game and you are left with far less of a player. He doesn't have the touch or close control for build up play.
At his best he reminded me of Rooney at the 2004 Euros when someone described him as a rampaging young bull elephant, and no one knew how to handle him.

As you say, Antonio relies on his strength and pace to bully defenders. Without that he doesn't have much to offer - though he can still keep a centre back occupied.

I hope Scamacca can stay fit for the whole season.
E15Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by E15Iron »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:03 pm I'll remind you of this post when they lose 6-0. But hey, at least they gave it a go :asleep:
Won't have long to wait, Bournemouth are away at City next week.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Worst possible game to start a season with in terms of putting a dampener on things.

They were the big rocket launcher and we were the pea shooter.

We need everything that they have, but most specifically probably a 10 in the mould of De Bruyne, who can completely take over a game with his command, intelligence, touch and creativity.

Our 10s are abysmal. Actually, outside of Bowen, do we even have an attacking midfielder, central or wide, that can shoot the ball well?
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

I thing that does need to happen is for Rice to stop claiming he’s got a great long shot on him in training. Every time he gets an opportunity outside the box he scuffs or skies it.

Lyon is included in that, he scuffed it and took a deflection!
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

wildkard wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:12 pm I'm starting to think that he wasn't just knackered last season, but that he's suffering from a Kevin Nolan style type sudden complete loss of ability that he will never recover from.
Did you see him against this lot in May? That wasn’t the performance of someone whose ability has significantly dropped.

What happened yesterday was he started probably not fit (based on the tape on his knee). He then hurt the same knee landing from a challenge (see he does still jump…)

We all know that at 80% Antonio isn’t worth a starting place and I’d guess the one who started yesterday was about 60%. Purely down to injury and a lack of match fitness. We’ve all seen it before so I’m surprised it is leading to so many “he was ****” “he is past it” type posts.

Moyes got the starting XI wrong. Got the tactics wrong (no out ball in midfield and Lanzini pointless when the centre halves will just hoof it). When that many players look bad then you look at the bloke in the dugout rather than picking apart individual performances.

We move on.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

They're still going on about the man baby, like it was the single greatest performance in Premier League history..
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

HammerAl wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:19 am Said if a fair few times, Haaland is an absolute monster. He’s so big, strong and quick. He’s going to rip up the league and will smash better defenders than we have, in the process.

With his pace and power, he’s pretty unplayable, unless teams set their defences up on the edge of the 18 yard box.
Or break his leg.

We pay to watch skilful players at their best playing the game for our entertainment*, to have that ruined by 70's Leeds style thuggery would be terrible. However the commentary and pundit love in for the fella is simply awful and it's that desire to have his babies that would make any injury to him slightly less terrible, you never know, it may mean the opposition teams players will get a mention**.

* We as in football fans.
** Some of the above may be tongue in cheek........
Dimension Diver
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Dimension Diver »

Obviously it's not much fun losing the game, but I'd just like to repeat that the big bright side is that we may see Scamacca starting pretty soon. He looked promising out there, shrugging off defenders like Gulliver shrugging off Lilliputians. It's going to be enjoyable watching defenders bounce off him.

I think that people might be right that Antonio, if he isn't injured, needs some time on the bench to get his head right. He looks a far cry from the hungry, defense-tormenting beast of old.
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by djbubbles »

I wanted to repeatedly punch Haaland in the face during his interview. I just wouldnt be able to stop
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

djbubbles wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:13 pm I wanted to repeatedly punch Haaland in the face during his interview. I just wouldnt be able to stop
Roy Keane likes this post :grin:
evomutant
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by evomutant »

Could only listen on the radio in the car yesterday, they commentators (Conor McNamara and Clinton Morrison I think) were pretty down on Jarrod Bowen, saying he wasn't tracking back and leaving his full back exposed all day and getting beaten on-on-one quite a bit. Contrasting it to last season.

Any truth in that?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

S-H wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:02 pm the man baby
:smiler:
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

evomutant wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:26 pm Could only listen on the radio in the car yesterday, they commentators (Conor McNamara and Clinton Morrison I think) were pretty down on Jarrod Bowen, saying he wasn't tracking back and leaving his full back exposed all day and getting beaten on-on-one quite a bit. Contrasting it to last season.

Any truth in that?
It wasn't that he was bad, he certainly wasn't good, but more that Cancelo was world class and gave him (us) the run around, at one point winning the ball off him then megging him.

The one time Bowen got the better of Cancelo he tripped him up and took the booking, then the set piece hit the first man.

By the end Bowen was so knackered chasing shadows that Cancelo comfortably beat him to a through ball that looked makeable when he was passed it.

He'll be fine, he's not playing against him every week.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Knock the ball up to Antonio in the hope he can control it, spin his man and run onto it.

99 times out of 100 he just backs in and then falls to the floor hoping for the free kick which never comes.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Post by Shabu »

evomutant wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:26 pm Could only listen on the radio in the car yesterday, they commentators (Conor McNamara and Clinton Morrison I think) were pretty down on Jarrod Bowen, saying he wasn't tracking back and leaving his full back exposed all day and getting beaten on-on-one quite a bit. Contrasting it to last season.

Any truth in that?
Man City's left hand side is phenomenal. Everything seemed to come down there.

The player marking Bowen also seemed quicker than him, especially over 5-10 yards - which is a massive part of Bowens game.

He just came up against better, quicker players.
Last edited by Shabu on Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Any truth in that?
He was up against one of the best full backs in the world...if not the best to be honest.